Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    cool. You're right. You win. Take care
    No need to get all butt hurt, if you can't handle a debate you've entered the wrong thread.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I am repeating anything said, I didn't make it past the first page without this one thing to say, as it irks me when people go back and forth about "studies show..." or " no, new studies show..." etc.

Bottom line: I can take ANY amount of data, pick out what I want to fit my desired outcome and it is still technically a legitimate study. Further, Studies can be altered by means of line of questioning. A person can literally be made to agree to anything! Basic statistics folks.

My personal study suggests a universal answer... DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

Sorry to sound *****y, but the matter-of-facters based on "studies and evidence" start to bug after a while. . . Unless you have a PHD and havd done the study physically yourself, stop offering other peoples advice based on a biased study. I am pretty sure I am going to catch flack for this but whatever, it's F***ing Monday, end of the month, payroll week and I am an accountant. . . you do the math on how my day has been.... thanks! :D
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nice job. You chased a newbie out of a chat room that is meant to be a place of support. You might not agree with the op but you could at least respond with respect and sensitivity.

This!
  • texasheathers
    texasheathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    At least it seems like most everyone agress that processed foods are bad.

Then most everyone is an idiot

LOL. I should probably be insulted but this made me laugh for some reason. After reading the posts since then I realize that this is one of those posts where you have to be extremely careful what you say and not assume people know what you mean. Processed foods as in Cheetos. Can we agree that Cheetos are not healthy??
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

LOL. I should probably be insulted but this made me laugh for some reason. After reading the posts since then I realize that this is one of those posts where you have to be extremely careful what you say and not assume people know what you mean. Processed foods as in Cheetos. Can we agree that Cheetos are not healthy??

cheetos.JPG
  • bear_nakey
    Options

I am sooo in the mood for some cheetos right now. . . .
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i could go for some cheetos. the twisted puffy kind...yummmmm
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not make you fat. Carbs may give you water retention, but like many things...it passes.

What makes you fat is eating a calorie surplus and sitting on the couch all day.

Agree with this 100%. Now a days, the go-to foods for most people are quick grabs like chips, tortillas, candy... basically things that are loaded with SUGARS (carbs)... and they gain weight from being lazy while overeating on these carbs.... which can easily be translated into "Carbs make you fat." HOWEVER, an excess of anything can make you "fat" if you're not careful.

If someone was sitting around all day eating a calorie surplus of fruit (ahem... carbs), I don't think it would effect them nearly as much as the surplus of sugary processed carbs does since fruit contains things like fiber and water... and of course essential vitamins.

In a nutshell- carbs DID contribute to my weight gain (i.e. make me fat). However it was a mixture of eating too many and not getting off my lazy *kitten* in the meantime. Had I been more active, I would have had less time to eat all these processed carbs and wouldn't have gained the weight I did.

I see where OP is coming from. I didn't read the article.. however I think his statement is too strong and general.. thus creating all this lovely controversy around the topic. :laugh:

Now that I have become more active and have incorporated better carbs into my diet (i.e. no white breads, more fruit and veggies) I'm seeing the weight come off!
  • bear_nakey
    Options

cheetos.JPG

awww someone DOES care!! thanks, I feel better already!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My great aunt died of carbohydrates.

Yeah, mine too. We served cupcakes at the funeral just to spite her.
  • TylerB1089
    TylerB1089 Posts: 10
    Options
    One swears by whole meal bread, one by sour milk; vegetarianism is the only road to salvation of some, other insist not only on vegetables alone, but on eating those raw. At one time the only thing that matters is calories; at another time they are crazy about vitamins or about roughage.

The scientific truth may be put quite briefly; eat moderately, having an ordinary mixed diet, and don't worry.

Robert Hutchinson (1877-1960), Newcastle Medical Journal, Vol 12, 1932
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    eat a balanced diet of (good) carbs, proteins, and fats. The body needs all to function. Sheesh!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    cool. You're right. You win. Take care
    No need to get all butt hurt, if you can't handle a debate you've entered the wrong thread.

Ah ok. Well, first off, thank you for jumping in between Acg and me where I was literally asking him what he meant in his post. You said that I was saying that processed foods are bad. However, if you look back to the posts I've written, you can see that what Acg and I were talking about was the conflict on the definition of what people considered processed food. Since I have usually respected what Acg writes in the past, I wanted to clearify what Acg wrote is what I understood correctly. English is my 4th language and everything doesnt really translate well on text. I wanted to clearify if in his opinion eating at McD's and drinking soda (my definition of processed food) was good eats. He clearified in his way that he was referring to processed foods such as whey protein and milk etc.

Like I said, even the chicken I grill with nothing added to it can be considered processed food and ACG and I were talking about what constitutes as processed food in this context.

Thanks for replying though, I can see you're a very smart man.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My great aunt died of carbohydrates.

Yeah, mine too. We served cupcakes at the funeral just to spite her.

Mmmm...cupcakes.

Sorry about your aunt, though.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Everyone is always looking for the boogieman. Its not carbs, fats, sugar, processed food (whatever that is), gluten, red meat, blah blah blah on and on.

Its not that alcohol that made you drive drunk.
    Not the gun that killed that guy.
    Not the government subsidies or evil corps that push grains.

It is you...eating to much that makes you fat. and unhealthy.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    pffft whatever most of what I eat are carbs! I luv me sum bread
  • bear_nakey
    Options
    Everyone is always looking for the boogieman. Its not carbs, fats, sugar, processed food (whatever that is), gluten, red meat, blah blah blah on and on.

Its not that alcohol that made you drive drunk.
    Not the gun that killed that guy.
    Not the government subsidies or evil corps that push grains.

It is you...eating to much that makes you fat. and unhealthy.

Carbs don't make people fat. . . PEOPLE MAKE PEOPLE FAT!!!! period. end of story. you may be excused.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I am repeating anything said, I didn't make it past the first page without this one thing to say, as it irks me when people go back and forth about "studies show..." or " no, new studies show..." etc.

Bottom line: I can take ANY amount of data, pick out what I want to fit my desired outcome and it is still technically a legitimate study. Further, Studies can be altered by means of line of questioning. A person can literally be made to agree to anything! Basic statistics folks.

My personal study suggests a universal answer... DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

Sorry to sound *****y, but the matter-of-facters based on "studies and evidence" start to bug after a while. . . Unless you have a PHD and havd done the study physically yourself, stop offering other peoples advice based on a biased study. I am pretty sure I am going to catch flack for this but whatever, it's F***ing Monday, end of the month, payroll week and I am an accountant. . . you do the math on how my day has been.... thanks! :D

I'm curious as to what you mean that studies can be altered by "means of a line of questioning" And you are correct you can find a study to support about any argument out there, but when looking at the entire body of evidence you will get a clearer picture of where that evidence points.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    But you have to balance your carbs with protein. If you do that, you'll be just fine.

I've been doing it for 40 days and I lost 20 pounds.
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Nice job. You chased a newbie out of a chat room that is meant to be a place of support. You might not agree with the op but you could at least respond with respect and sensitivity.

This!

Uhhh...what?
This discussion has been closed.