Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe credits her beautiful figure to pasta (AKA, carbs)

marilyn-monroe-heels.jpg

She so fat...

Umm, I don't know if you picked the best possible picture to illustrate your point...

Thought about it but couldnt be bothered with finding a photoshopped pic of her. She still looks drop dead gorgeous and very fit

who gives a **** shes still a 10(oh and asize 10 to)

Marilyn looked fabulous on the outside, but was in terrible, terrible health on the inside.
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Nice job. You chased a newbie out of a chat room that is meant to be a place of support. You might not agree with the op but you could at least respond with respect and sensitivity.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    eating toast at 11pm while I read this thread :D
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Nice job. You chased a newbie out of a chat room that is meant to be a place of support. You might not agree with the op but you could at least respond with respect and sensitivity.

He was deluded and didn't want to hear an alternative view.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not make you fat! Look at any runner or cyclist. They eats carbs by the boatload. I started logging into MFP to help refine my diet. I wanted to get rid of the garbage in between meals. You know, the candy bars, cookies. etc. The stuff that gets unnoticed when you try to recall what you ate at the end of the day. Anyway, I average 252 carbs per day mostly whole grains and fruits and vegetables.

You know what makes you fat; sedentaryism!!! When I was a kid the last thing I did after school or on the weekend was sit in front of the television. I was on my bike or in the park or playing dodge ball or ringolevio (relievio for my Canadian friends). Google it if you don't know what it is. My point is that there is a child obesity problem today because the kids just sit around and eat and watch TV or play video games.

We all ate McDonalds and Burger King and cookies, ice cream, potato chips, candy bars. I certainly didn't grow up eating carrots and celery for my snacks.

One hundred years ago when we worked for a living; I mean physical work hauling boxes, digging ditches, building fences we were able to burn all the excess calories we ate. Progress has taken the physical labor away from us to the point that we drive our cars around the block to buy a gallon of milk.

Humans are evolutionary (I hope I don't offend anyone now). As we recognize that our sedentary lifestyle is causing health problems we begin looking for ways to correct it. That means replacing the physical labor we did as our means of earning a living with enjoyable (for some) exercise. It also means adapting our diets to recognize that we don't need as many calories (or carbs for energy) as we once did.

You see, I have been a runner for over 35 years, I have eaten mounds of spaghetti, bushels of potatoes and sacks of rice. I'm not fat and I've had a desk job for thirty years. And I don't think I'm better than anyone else out here.

Honestly, maybe I'm just venting since my wife thinks that carbs made her fat. I'll save my opinion on that matter in case she ever reads this post.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    [

Umm, I don't know if you picked the best possible picture to illustrate your point...

Thought about it but couldnt be bothered with finding a photoshopped pic of her. She still looks drop dead gorgeous and very fit
    [/quote]

This....no photoshop, just beauty!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I think you and I are on a bit different pages about what we consider processed food. While you're correct, those are processed foods (and good for you at that!) but when I think of processed food (and what I believe others in the thread are referring to as processed food) are the chemically enhanced food from burger king or those so called nutirition bars which are loaded with additives etc. Strictly speaking almost all foods are processed but I think you're taking terms too literally sir
    You can't pick and choose words to support your position, processed is processed simple as that.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    At least it seems like most everyone agress that processed foods are bad.

Then most everyone is an idiot

ok I'm not the most diet educated person out there but are you suggesting that processed food are good for you?. To me processed food = food loaded with additional chemicals such as soda and those "nutrition bars". I'm not trying to argue, just was wondering if this is what you meant

Some examples of processed foods, tell me why they are bad;

Frozen fruits, protein powder, yogurt, milk, cheese, olive oil, butter, nut butters, oatmeal.

I think you and I are on a bit different pages about what we consider processed food. While you're correct, those are processed foods (and good for you at that!) but when I think of processed food (and what I believe others in the thread are referring to as processed food) are the chemically enhanced food from burger king or those so called nutirition bars which are loaded with additives etc. Strictly speaking almost all foods are processed but I think you're taking terms too literally sir

There of course different degrees of processing but even something like whey or casein protein powder that is more heavily processed doesn't make it necessarily bad.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks carbs don't make you fat is an IDIOT. Personally, I only eat raisins and horseradish everyday, and i'm RIPPED.

/sarcasm
    I just threw up a little...I don't know if I can imagine a worse food combination!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You can't pick and choose words to support your position, processed is processed simple as that.

What position? I didnt made any position...please read the entire post before replying
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

He was deluded and didn't want to hear an alternative view.

I don't really see anything all that bad either.
  • taunto
    Options
    At least it seems like most everyone agress that processed foods are bad.

Then most everyone is an idiot

ok I'm not the most diet educated person out there but are you suggesting that processed food are good for you?. To me processed food = food loaded with additional chemicals such as soda and those "nutrition bars". I'm not trying to argue, just was wondering if this is what you meant

Some examples of processed foods, tell me why they are bad;

Frozen fruits, protein powder, yogurt, milk, cheese, olive oil, butter, nut butters, oatmeal.

There of course different degrees of processing but even something like whey or casein protein powder that is more heavily processed doesn't make it necessarily bad.

Very true. Ofcourse the grilled chicken I made at home can also be considered processed. And I would never ever deny the benefits of my delicious chocolate flavored whey protein powder but you know what I'm referring to. I was just curious if you meant that the other processed foods I listed were included in the "not bad for you" statement you made originally. I'm going to guess you are didn't :)
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options

What position? I didnt made any position...please read the entire post before replying
    I did read it, your position is that processed foods are bad... maybe you should read what you wrote. then when you were presented with a list of foods that you could not shoot down you back tracked and started splitting hairs. Come on now. Please see the bolded.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    yea prob too much carbs.. but I eat bread daily if not every other day. in pb&j sandwiches, reg. sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, toast.. yea u no the basics and im NOT GETTIN FAT! From it, infact Ive been losing weight.. well its wheat bread but still haha carbs... AND I LOVE CARBS. Carbs from ne thing :P
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    carbs dont make you fat! if you are over eating and not exercising then your having excess energy.. only 3% of carbs converts to fat..
  • JmeHarris
    JmeHarris Posts: 38
    Options
    Comments like

sigh its this **** again
    or
    check his join date/comment count
    or
    he's deluded

certainly create the impression that this is a safe place for people suffering from a common problem to get support.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My great aunt died of carbohydrates.
  • taunto
    Options

I did read it, your position is that processed foods are bad... maybe you should read what you wrote. then when you were presented with a list of foods that you could not shoot down you back tracked and started splitting hairs. Come on now. Please see the bolded.

cool. You're right. You win. Take care
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

cool. You're right. You win. Take care

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
This discussion has been closed.