Carbs are making you fat

Options

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    its old news. Taubes has a new book out. I have Good Calories, Bad Calories it was okay for its time. A lot of low carbers have moved on since that.

Not arguing at all here -- what do you mean by "moved on?" Do you mean that they've gone on to other approaches completely (back to "high" carbs by a LC standard) or on to Paleo or something?

Also, what the hell happened to Jimmy Moore?!??! I clearly have not kept up with the old-school LC blogosphere.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not make you fat. Carbs may give you water retention, but like many things...it passes.

What makes you fat is eating a calorie surplus and sitting on the couch all day.

What if I skip the couch and just lay in bed all day? I won't get fat right?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes you fat, not carbs.

Not sure if srs
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Who you callin' fat?

I don't think so, sweetie-pie.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

Tell me in your own words how carbs make you fat?

No offense man, but I am not here to play gotcha game. I could throw this right back in your court and say tell me in your own words how fat makes you fat.

I am just posting a news report that I happen to agree with. Not you, but it seems many people get their panties all in a bunch if someone comes out against the typical standard nutritional diet. There is science to back up both theories. Are we that closed minded to fully shut out the whole low carb thing?

So in other words you have no idea how carbs supposedly make you fat, you're just jumping on the latest fear mongering bandwagon

Don't be too harsh on him as he obviously sounds like a low carb newbie. Once you get hooked believing the low carb spiel its hard to shake it and think objectively.

It was a simple question I posed to him, no reason to dodge it

Also note, acg67 never said anything about fat making you fat. No one has.

So the OP should probably try a different tactic.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You'll also notice you don't see low-carbers who look like bodybuilders.

Unless it's a night or two before a contest. =)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds in 11 weeks following a basic low carb, high protein diet of 1200-ish calories a day and 5-6 days of exercise a week. Something is working. I think there is a lot of truth in the concept that processed carbs contribute to weight gain...and that all calories are not created equal. I guess as long as you do SOMETHING,rather than nothing, you can lose weight. This just happens to be working well for me.

something = calorie deficit
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I dont think the truth will ever be allowed out. Too many big industries (i.e. flour, sugar, pharmaceutical, supermarkets) are making too much money from the present "so called" healthy eating regime. No one can touch it. Whatever you believe, you should ask the question, why is obesity, heart disease and diabetes on the increase in such a huge scale?

No offense man, but I am not here to play gotcha game. I could throw this right back in your court and say tell me in your own words how fat makes you fat.

I am just posting a news report that I happen to agree with. Not you, but it seems many people get their panties all in a bunch if someone comes out against the typical standard nutritional diet. There is science to back up both theories. Are we that closed minded to fully shut out the whole low carb thing?

So in other words you have no idea how carbs supposedly make you fat, you're just jumping on the latest fear mongering bandwagon

Don't be too harsh on him as he obviously sounds like a low carb newbie. Once you get hooked believing the low carb spiel its hard to shake it and think objectively.

He probably doesn't know exactly!!! Has it something to do with insulin???
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I lost 83lb's on a very high carb diet to under 10 % BF. On the advice of some Paleo Wacko's at the gym I did try a low carb diet for a couple weeks and I felt like crap and weak and my workout's suffered. Never again, After all why sacrifice carbs when there is no need to do so.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Have 80-100g of that most days too. Mmmm
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

He probably doesn't know exactly!!! Has it something to do with insulin???

That's right I forgot, eat carbs -> insulin spike -> get fat, duh
  • joejccva71
    Options

roy.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I would like to hear OP answer the question also.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

SO WHAT! You aint GOD, nor are these "Gurus" who write this junk. If these people knew how to get us ALL Physically Healthy, they would come together and "tell us" and we would be a Country of Healthy people! I've read at least 50 Books on Wt.Loss, even more on Nutrition, tried at least 25 different "diets" AND NOTHING THEY recommended worked. But I've NOW lost over 100 lbs in 2 years...HOW, by reducing calories and eating well, moderate exercise, and MOST Importantly being CONSTANT (Sticking with MY PLAN, what works for Me!) AND you better understand also that Nothing stays the same over time, as you age adjustments must be made in nutrition and exercise. Everybody is looking for a quick fix or simple answer...There is NONE, ONE size does NOT fit all. Neither does blanket statements.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow! Nice discussing things with you all. Take care.
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. That is all.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I eat like 400 carbs a day... Do I look fat to you?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! All this time carbs have been making me fat! I didn't even notice! D:

For the extremely dense: caloric surplus makes you fat. Carbs+suplus makes you fat faster.

You'll notice literally every one of the bodybuilder physique folks on here eats 300-400g carbs on a regular basis... hard to recover from serious weight training otherwise.

You'll also notice you don't see low-carbers who look like bodybuilders.

But I'm sure that's all just coincidence. Carry on!

But Taubes is SO ripped!! Such a damn stud ;D
    GTaubes-Doughy.jpg
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Wow! Nice discussing things with you all. Take care.

Have a nice day.

Oh and welcome to the forums.
This discussion has been closed.