WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Morning all, what a nice thing your hubby did for you this morning, he is a keeper for sure. You have a great day and spend it with the ones you love, if you can. Congrats to your neice for her musical. You sound really proud of her as you should be. Maybe she will be a star one day.

I will be busy as well today, so have a great one and go show off your new gift, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Judy B
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday to All,

It’s a long weekend here in Canada. One where the norm is to relax, drink some beer and work on your garden. I left work on Thursday to make the 2.5 hour ride to Toronto to pick up my daughter to bring her home for the long weekend. Last time that she was home was Christmas so I am happy that she can come home to the country and relax. She has a very sweet dog Bogey and she brought a Bassett hound mix named Shiloh that she is watching for a week while a work friend goes to Vancouver for a week. It was really nice because I got to meet some of the co-workers she talks about and they were all very nice and friendly. She works at what they call an Equipment House and they rent out film equipment to the film and TV industry. She personally takes care of high def digital cameras and monitors. It’s a busy, busy place.

Unfortunately, that drive always seems to involve some road snacks and a fast food dinner (which seriously I really don’t enjoy). And yesterday I took her out for lunch. So my dieting the last few days has not been very successful. We did have a nice barbecue last night. Salmon skewers, red rice, grilled bok choi and pineapple. I’m not going to worry about the food too much the next couple of days until I get back to work on Tuesday. Hoping to get out for a couple runs with my daughter.

Jellyfish Jen, I’m proud of you for standing up to those punks. Hopefully, they think twice before repeating their behaviour.

Laura, sorry to hear that you will be on pins and needles over the weekend. My “much” younger sister (that’s what she calls herself) went back to school three years ago after 25 years in the same field. She did very well at the program she was in but has been unable to secure a good job since she graduated last spring and I see her really sliding into depression. Last weekend she texted me because she had a phone interview for a job at a lab and she wanted to know how long to wait for the person to call. I asked her if she had a contact number and to just call and ask to confirm the time. Long story short the woman had forgotten to call. She had the interview which in her opinion she failed miserably. She said she was going to buy some alcohol and get drunk. She’s not a drinker. I said not a good plan and she said I think I’ll try it anyways. Monday she texted me that I got that job…I said what job? The one that you failed the interview and then hit the sauce immediately. She said yes…that one. LOL. I’m really hoping that things turn the corner for her.

Mimi I wonder if Yoga would be a good thing for you. I especially love the hot yoga as it seems to make all my achy joints feel great. I have pain in my hips, hands and feet from time to time.

Barb, two years ago when I got tired of feeling tired all the time I started doing yoga and pilates. Now I’m doing other things like boot camp and spinning. But I’ve seen some people who’ve joined Boot camp and quit promptly I think there are certain things you need to work up too. I have lots of dvd’s here and I think the 30 day shred would be good. It’s hard but only 20 minutes a day . I think you have to say it’s only 20 minutes and I can do anything for 20 minutes. When it comes to DVD’s I find it’s a little harder to commit than say if you signed up for a class because when you are on your own it’s easier to quit but when you join a class you really can’t walk out. If you could find some cheap option to do that it would be great. Just watched the bridesmaids again last weekend and had to laugh at the part where the girls are hiding and doing boot camp in the park without paying. Good luck. And if you raised three kids you know you can do this!!! In the past I have worked 12 hour rotating shifts so I know what you are talking about there.

Beth, I’m the opposite of you. I do fine at work but worse at home. Makes me worry a bit about retirement. Which I’ve been thinking about because there is going to be packages offered at work which I may consider dependent on the deal and if I qualify. Retiring at 53 sounds great since I hoped to retire at 55.
    Sooner rather than later.

Cath, good job on the weight loss this week!!!

Betty, I hope you and your daughter are very successful and reach your goals. My weight loss started as part of a deal with my daughter as well. I ended up losing more than I promised her and she has not yet managed to quit smoking yet but she still promises she will. My begging is not working. L

Amanda, wow!!! Sounds like a great guy. In life there is always good and bad. I have a friend who has more than her share of bad but she keeps smiling every day. I love being around her. It’s funny after her marriage ended she basically was depressed for 10 years and one day woke up and realized she had lost 10 years. She is an inspiration to me. The bad stuff continues for her but she is still trying to enjoy all the good stuff.

Really glad I found this group. All of you keep me inspired!!!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hello everyone!
    I am sorry I didn't get to commit on all of your post , but when I got home we had guest and they stayed a bit late. now I am working extra because my friend and coworker has been admitted to the hospitasl , I don't know at this point how long she will be there.
    I did get some extra walking in and I remember someone saying that they walked up and down the hall to get all of thier steps in , so I walked in place while watching CSI NY last night and to day I can tell it.

Amanda your ring sounds wonderful , the men in our lives can be so sweet sometimes! I know what you mean when you say he is always there with a hug and support, my DH is much the same way, no matter how upset I am he will fine a way to make me smile! He says it's you and me kid, against the world LOL:blushing: , I think it is from an old movie.

congrats to all of you that have lost ,:drinker: and Welcome to all of the new ladies and to all of you that are returning . I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!

I am praying for the ones that are looking for jobs and also for those that hurt thier backs , I know 1st hand how painful that can be.

well better get back to work , you all have a wonderful day!:flowerforyou:
    Rachel
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    good morning. The sun is shine and it is going to be a great day.

Ritter had his first night of sleeping with the crate door open. He did great. My little baby boy is growing up so fast. He has appointment for a chip and clip coming up (neuter and microchip) soon. he is 6 months old now. I really can't beleive that Bodi is going to be 3 in about 3 weeks. Where does the time go?

I am still doing well with the 10000 steps. my highest day this week was closer to 15000. I am definately starting to feel a little like my old self (the one that started with this group over two years ago)

Amanda the ring and the DH sound awesome.

To all you wonderful women out there, have a stupendously stellar Saturday!
  • OK450
    OK450 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! : ) Can someone kick me in the pants please? Because I sure need it. Totally demotivated and unfocused.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Question for any women are premenopausal .I`m having a hard time with crying and moods up and down.Having issues with the thyroid too,not sure what it is.
    Had a great time with son number 2 and his wife,was a belated mom`s day lunch.They gave me a plant and a grandma brag book for the new baby.
    Got my 20 min walk in.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Doreent11
    Doreent11 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to the message boards, but have been logging my food and exercise for a month. Love this website and tell all my friends about it. I am about 25% there to my goal weight. Have learned a lot more about how many carbs and sodium are in different foods using this program.

Goals for May:
    Exercise Goal: keep working out 6 days a week - 4 days of swimming and 2 days bicycling and walking.
    Food: Stay under 1200 calories a day, keeping low sodium and low fat.
    Progress: Hope to loose 2-3 pounds a week
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    kateblue - I do like the KitchenAid, only it'll probably take some getting used to. Like my other beaters I had to move around, this one moves (am I making myself clear?) but I find that I need to continually scrape down the bowl and it looke like I may have to do something about making sure whatever is on the bottom is incorporated. Like the other night I made the cupcakes (I did give some to the bowling alley and to the Y), yes, from a mix, but I did find that there was a little of the mix that didn't get incorporated into everything else. Oh well...Vince said they were still good.

Jen - so sorry about all the illness in your family. Good for you standing up to those punks.

Mary - have fun with your grandsons and at the parties.

bp - welcome! Keep posting and you'll get to your goal before you know it. I love experimenting with healthy cooking, too.

Never heard of the banana oatmeal muffins or triple chocolate cookies. Please let me know how they turn out.

Jen - have fun on the laake!

Cath - congrats on the loss

Justbety - welcome

Well, did the DVD of Jillian Michael Burn Fat Boost Metabolism. The DVD says the workout is 40 minutes long, Jillian says it is 45 minutes, but when I checked the clock it was more like 1 hr. So I guess I did this video for 45 minutes and then TamiLee Webb's Stretching for Flexibility DVD for another 15. Tomorrow...yoga

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele

Hi Michelle
    Ive used a Kitchenaid for years and I had the same trouble in the beginning with the beaters not mixing the stuff at the bottom of the mixer and DH was able to read the manual (I don't ever do that!) and he adjusted the mixing bowl up a bit so that the beaters reached all the way to the bottom of the mixing bowl because they we not reaching...so they can be adjusted (at least my model did but mine is at least 15 years old)...the Kithenaid takes some getting used to and it is very heavy but I love it...for the holidays it stays on my counter from Oct thru Dec and I make mashed potatoes in it too!

Love Kat:heart::heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies

It's not even noon and I just ate my lunch! Very unusual for me, but I know that I am going to be mega busy from 12:30, so thought I'd better squeeze it in whilst I had the time.

Last night I went to see my gorgeous niece perfom in her first big musical. She has just turned seven and was the youngest (by a lot - the eldest performer is 84). She was amazing! I know I'm biased, but she really does have star appeal. It's a huge theatre and she was surrounded by many famous performers but didn't let it faze her at all. Today she has to do a matinee as well as an evening performance, but she told my sister that she didn't want to miss her ballet class this morning, so she's doing that too. The darling girl will sleep well tonight!

DH gave me a surprise this morning - along with coffee in bed. He had an old diamond that had been sitting in my jewellery box for absolutely years, re-set into the prettiest ring. It is a 1 carat ring and it is on a raised shank with two leaves supporting it, set in 18k yellow gold, so it goes beautifully with my wedding rings. He had it designed by a friend of ours who works with the diamond tiara maker that I used to work for. Honestly, I am so impressed with it. If I can get a good photo of it I will post it. I asked DH why he didn't wait until my birthday which is next month, he said that my birthday is already sorted (I haven't a clue what that means). My DH has found the romantic side that I have been trying to discover in him and he knows my weakness for diamonds - bring them on, that's what I say! (As I sit here, typing away, watching the diamond sparkle like crazy on my finger - quick, fetch me my sunglasses!)

You know, my life has been pretty awful in some aspects. I've had a rough time over the years. And then there is my husband ...... and that's when I remember that I am actually one of the luckiest people I know (and truthfully, it is not about the presents - it's the support that he gives me and the giggles we share).

Wow, got to get back to work!

Have a good weekend my friends.

Love to all.

Amanda x

I love this! It gave me goosebumps! Good for you Amanda!!!!!

Love
    Kat :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Hi! : ) Can someone kick me in the pants please? Because I sure need it. Totally demotivated and unfocused.

Awwww:cry:
    Im sorry you're feeling bad...heres a nice little happy kick to make you feel better :flowerforyou:
    Were here for you :love:

Whats getting you down?

Love
    Kat:heart::heart: :heart:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Amanda,how sweet.:heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing ok.Question for any women are premenopausal .I`m having a hard time with crying and moods up and down.Having issues with the thyroid too,not sure what it is.
    Had a great time with son number 2 and his wife,was a belated mom`s day lunch.They gave me a plant and a grandma brag book for the new baby.
    Got my 20 min walk in.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    HUGS
    jane

Soooooo whats you're question Jane?

:sad: This is my life about 1 week out of the month except Im mostly grumpy and *****y (sorry of that word offends but it is what I am:blushing: :blushing: )

I am most definitely Pre menopausal, get a period then go about 3-4 months and don't get one then get one, then get another one 2 weeks later then none for 4 months or so...but I also get FIERCE migraines and not too many hot flashes and no night sweats so Im on meds daily for the migraines...you should get the thyroid thing checked out...whait Ive learned is that all women are different with Menopause...I was taking bio-identical hormone replacements for a few years but I had a breast cancer scare (benign) so I stopped that and went cold turkey!

I also heard for many Drs that women over 50 (I'm 51) should no take hormone replacement because we have a higher risk of breast cancer.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Faye - thanks for telling me about the other beater. Sounds so interesting, I looked it up online. Is it the New Design Beater Blade? Amazon has it for $16 Or is it the Flex Edge Beater (maybe the difference is in the size of the bowl)? I have a 4.5qt bowl, so it looks like the Flex Edge is for me. Now to read the reviews. Or could it be the side swipe? Which one do you have?

fitz - no matter what, you keep on going. I hand it to you. You find such inventive ways to incorporate exercise!

Amanda - your ring sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do some training games on the Wii

Doreen - welcome! You know, I've been logging here for quite a while now, and I STILL find things that surprise me. Like I didn't realize that sweet potatoes are as high in calories I didn't think of, but they're also high in nutrients. So that one's really a trade-off.

Kat - I read about adjusting the mixing bowl. I'm not sure right now if that's what I need to do. I also read about how the KA mixes faster than regular beaters, so maybe I didn't mix it enough. Tomorrow I'm going to try making brownies and see how it goes. This time I'm going to follow the direction TO THE LETTER.

For anyone who might know: does adding more eggs to the brownie mix make the brownies more "cake like"? I'm thinking that they do, and the recipe calls for 3 eggs. I know Vince likes his brownies fudgy, so I'm thinking of only using 1 egg. Can anyone tell if this would make any difference other than the brownies not being so "cake like"

Also, another cooking question, a lot of the recipes in the book call for "shortening". Can you use butter in place of the shortening? I'm just not a big fan of Crisco, to me it just seems too much like lard. Butter is not the best, but something inside of me says that it's better than Crisco. Can anyone see any reason why you couldn't sustitute butter in place of Crisco?

Kat - tell me about how heavy the KA is! I remember we had them at the high school when I worked in the Home Ec area, and I don't remember them being as heavy as mine. then again, I seriously do think that mine is a better quality KA than the HS had.

I'm going to post this early in the evening so that hopefully people will see my baking questions and hopefully have an answer for me.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had good results for the peri-menopausal, pre-menopausal, menopausal blues-moods-hot flashes with some herbal supplements. I am not a big organic/herbal person, but 2 things have made a big difference. The first was Evening Primrose Oil- great for the teariness that I went through a few years ago. And I just started taking Black Cohosh for the hot flashes- that is a miracle for me.
    I get both of them at CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid and have no recommendations one brand over another.
    Good luck- life at this stage doesn't have to be horrible!!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I've logged in going on a week now. I'm still very up and down with eating but at least I'm logging most of it! Mary (MSH) and I used to be neck and neck but she got back to consistently logging. It's been almost a year now (if I remember correctly). It's amazing how quickly it adds up. She's an inspiration to me!

Today 2 of my kids and their families got together with me for a birthday dinner. (My real birthday is tomorrow.) I enjoyed being spoiled but ate way too much, ending with chocolate decadence cake. That's about as decadent as I get. (And that's pretty decadent. LOL.) Tomorrow will not be perfect either, but better. My younger daughter is taking me out for sushi. I love going with just her for sushi and a good chat.

Exciting news...I'll be joining the gym and starting aqua aerobics this coming week. I was talking to the gal who lives at the end of our lane about the gym. I was complaining because it costs $71 per month for a single and just $100 or so for a couple. She said, "Mary...I think we're a couple." That gave me a good laugh. By golly, there are two of us and that makes a couple! I like the idea of paying $50/month much better!!

The really great thing is having a workout buddy. My friend doesn't drive because of epilepsy that started up a couple of years ago. I'll be the driver, giving me a double incentive to make it to the classes. I'm thinking we'll go 2-3 times a week. We'll split the cost of fuel, which will be nice with the cost being so danged high these days. (If you live in Europe, close your ears. I know you've been paying a lot for fuel for a long time.)

The DD and her family that I share the house with (I have my own apartment) adopted a puppy a few weeks ago. That makes a total of 3 with Bode (half Lab, half Southern Bulldog and about 80 lbs); my Izzy (mini-poodle/yorkie mix and weighing 12 lbs); and the new pup, Porter (half Yellow Lab, half Chocolate Lab and growing like a weed). I love having the kind of relaxed household that has lots of dogs running around. It's perfect.

DD and SIL have been out on the excavator and skid steer for the last week digging a pond and building a rock wall. The pond started out as a hole to see if we couldn't drain off some of the water that accumulates under the house. Apparently, when we built the foundation 3 years ago, we disrupted a spring that had previously stayed underground.

We've pumped literally thousands of gallons of water out of the hole and it just keeps coming so they decided to use it. They're building a waterfall, large fish pond, and stream going down the hill that may be year round!! The best news is that the ground under the house is drying out.

Living in the country is a challenge for us city folks but a good challenge.

I hope the rest of your weekend is delightful.

Mimi SVQ
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Faye - thanks for telling me about the other beater. Sounds so interesting, I looked it up online. Is it the New Design Beater Blade? Amazon has it for $16 Or is it the Flex Edge Beater (maybe the difference is in the size of the bowl)? I have a 4.5qt bowl, so it looks like the Flex Edge is for me. Now to read the reviews. Or could it be the side swipe? Which one do you have?

fitz - no matter what, you keep on going. I hand it to you. You find such inventive ways to incorporate exercise!

Amanda - your ring sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do some training games on the Wii

Doreen - welcome! You know, I've been logging here for quite a while now, and I STILL find things that surprise me. Like I didn't realize that sweet potatoes are as high in calories I didn't think of, but they're also high in nutrients. So that one's really a trade-off.

Kat - I read about adjusting the mixing bowl. I'm not sure right now if that's what I need to do. I also read about how the KA mixes faster than regular beaters, so maybe I didn't mix it enough. Tomorrow I'm going to try making brownies and see how it goes. This time I'm going to follow the direction TO THE LETTER.

For anyone who might know: does adding more eggs to the brownie mix make the brownies more "cake like"? I'm thinking that they do, and the recipe calls for 3 eggs. I know Vince likes his brownies fudgy, so I'm thinking of only using 1 egg. Can anyone tell if this would make any difference other than the brownies not being so "cake like"

Also, another cooking question, a lot of the recipes in the book call for "shortening". Can you use butter in place of the shortening? I'm just not a big fan of Crisco, to me it just seems too much like lard. Butter is not the best, but something inside of me says that it's better than Crisco. Can anyone see any reason why you couldn't sustitute butter in place of Crisco?
    Kat - tell me about how heavy the KA is! I remember we had them at the high school when I worked in the Home Ec area, and I don't remember them being as heavy as mine. then again, I seriously do think that mine is a better quality KA than the HS had.

I'm going to post this early in the evening so that hopefully people will see my baking questions and hopefully have an answer for me.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
    Michelle I think its the eggs and flour that makes them more cakey, when I make choc chip cookies I decrease the flour by 1/4 cup and add a bit more sugar to get them less cakey and more chewy, hope that helps :bigsmile:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Got my 20 min walk in.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    HUGS
    jane

Jane another thing that you may want to try that has worked for me in the past with the moodiness is Estrovin, I get it at Costco, but you can also get it at most drug stores...these is NO estrogen in it, its mostly herbs and natural supplements but it also helps with insomnia which I used to suffer from, not so much now since Ive lost weight and the exercise seems to have helped with sleep too, but you may want to try this :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love
    Kat:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Got my 20 min walk in.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    HUGS
    jane

Jane another thing that you may want to try that has worked for me in the past with the moodiness is Estrovin, I get it at Costco, but you can also get it at most drug stores...these is NO estrogen in it, its mostly herbs and natural supplements but it also helps with insomnia which I used to suffer from, not so much now since Ive lost weight and the exercise seems to have helped with sleep too, but you may want to try this :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Love
    Kat:flowerforyou: :heart:

Nothing it seems has helped me with my typos!!!!!!!!!:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Mimi - Happy Birthday tomorrow, yes you CAN diet and Eat your cake too.... just get in some exercise!:flowerforyou:

Amanda, great story, husband, ring! I can totally relate to the support of a good man. Thanks for that blessing. :love:

Sounds like everyone else has tons of plans - good! Have fun. I work at the hospital, which of course is 24-7, and I drew the 'short' straw ... but you know working on a weekend means no (or fewer) politics! And I am off by 1530 (3:30), so that still gives me lots of daylight as the days get longer ... even managed to treat myself to an hour on a lounge chair with a good book today. Family all went to the cabin ... so, very quiet, but kinda nice. Finding I want to eat, boredom of not rushing around like a crazy mom?! So, think I will just head to bed to ward off the temptations.

Have a Happy Sunday. To all that has family around - ENJOY. If you are on your own - you are not alone ... I challenge you to do some sort of exercise and check in :bigsmile:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Mimi have a wonderful birthday tomorrow :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Amanda what a lovely surprise for you, the ring sounds lovely hope you get to show us it soon.

:flowerforyou: Jane hope you are feeling better soon, I had the weepies a few weeks ago, I made a mistake at work and it really really upset me when it was pointed out. It really knocked my confidence for a while. Some people take HRT but I've also heard that taking it can cause breast cancer in some folk. I am suffering with hot flushes (flashes) and sometimes they make me feel quite ill! If I'm at work they can reduce me to a gibbering idiot :laugh: I left a very garbled message on an employees answer machine last week :embarassed: It's as if I have no control. My friend recommended Kalm tablets (they are supposed to be for short term stress relief rather than menopause) She said since taking them her flushes have almost gone especially at night. I often wake during the night. I think I'll give them a try.

:noway: :ohwell: Almost sabotaged my weight loss yesterday, for some reason I couldn't stop eating empty calories. I must do better today! Didn't feel 100% either yesterday, so ended up having a bit of a lazy day. I'll try and keep moving too as the last two days I've not reached 10,000 steps on my ped. :embarassed: I'll have to walk up and down the hallway/stairs etc to make up my steps today. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:grumble: Still no sunshine here but at least it's not raining. I wonder if we will every get any spring type weather, or if all of a sudden we go straight into summer? As long as we get some sunshine I'll be happy.

:flowerforyou: Have a good Sunday.

Viv xx