WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2012

Options

Replies

• katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies

SInce were all talking push ups, the manly kind :bigsmile: , I discovered that I can do them now that Ive been in yoga for over a year...since we do so many planks, push ups come so early now because of the upper body work :bigsmile: makes me feel very strong! Yay!!!

Pretty quiet here tonight, DH has been in the recording studio, DD came home, but is off to visit her BF, DS is home but with DH in the studio, so I have the home to my self and for once have nothing to do :bigsmile:

Well Im tired tonight (from doing nothing LOL) so off to watch some TV, hope you all have a good evening :smile: :smile:

Love
    Kat:love:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Kathy - you WILL do it again, that's for sure -- and we'll be right there with you

Well, my day started off with my dropping off our aluminum at the Humane Society (they use it as a fundraiser). Then did a little bit of food shopping, then an hour of deep water (the water felt soooo good), mailed Denise's package, stopped at the Salvation Army and got a shirt. See, if I don't like what I bought, I don't have a problem redonating it. then home to get ready for the senior bowling. Took my mug (54oz) of water with me and got another 22oz cup of water while I was there which I had, also took some baby carrots with me (this way I'm not starving when I get home). While I was home, I put in a load of laundry in the washer and then into the dryer. I dried them after bowling. After bowling ran home to get some of the fudge cake to take back to the bowling alley to give this one gal. She's really great to me. Tomorrow I'll do the 30 Day Shred DVD. I've found that levels 2 and 3 take about an hour to do.

When I was very young, I had 4 teeth pulled to make room for my braces. I still remember that mask coming over my face. To this day, if I need a mask, I always tell them to first put me to sleep, then they can do what they want. If I were to feel that mask over my face, I would probably freak out.

Laura - don't worry about your post taking up too much space, I enjoy reading notes and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Believe me, the first time I did HIIT on the elliptical, I thought I was going to die!!!! I think I probably only did it for 15 minutes. Don't know about your hubby, but mine is Mr. Picko. How would white vinegar in the potato salad work? You have no idea how many times I make two different dinners. Usually we have the same meat, but (like tonight) he'll have rice (that I want to use up, the rice in a package that's butter flavored) and I'll have a red potato. He'll only eat corn and carrots. I'll have cauliflower and broccoli.

Oh, I found these veggie burgers that I like around here. They are lower in sodium

Oh, got a question for anyone: I'm trying to come up with an oil substitute that I can use in white/butter cake batters. When I make a chocolate cake/brownies, I many times substitute pureed prunes for the oil. What Vince can't see, doesn't hurt him. If he ever saw me putting prunes in it, he wouldn't eat it. So I just don't mention it. But the prunes turned the yellow/white cake mix a light shade of brown. Just enought that Vince could tell there was something else in it. I've been looking at Healthy Cooking (Taste of Home) magazine to see what they use as a substitute for the oil, but so far I haven't found anything. They just seem to reduce the amount of oil.

Nancy - let me know what you think of "hunger Games". You know, parts were filmed right near me. The parts about their home, etc. You are so lucky that your mother is a retired dietician. So so lucky

Today we did some yoga in the shallow end of the pool. I'm constantly amazed at how much more flexible I am in the water. On land, there is no way on this green earth when we're in "tree" pose that I can put my foot on my thigh. But in the water I was able to.

mom2boys - I hear ya about the pics being a motivator. when Jessica went to her prom (she's 28 now) Vince took a picture of the backside of mel I was horrified to see how big it was!!!! That was the thing that made me want to get in shape. That must have been about 10 years ago. Oh yea, it seems to take so much longer to lose the weight. But it does come off -- eventually. You'll get there, don't get discouraged.

kel - the Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD. Is it a total body workout, does it use weights or is it a combination of cardio and weights? How high in the impact? I see that there are 4 workouts, are two of them aerobic and two of them mainly weights? I don't have this one, it looks interesting. I would like two of the workouts to be aerobic and the other two to be only weights, this way on the days when I want to do aerobic work, I can. On the days I want to do weights, I can. Also, can you program the DVD so that you can do, say, workouts 2 and 4 only? What I mean is, will it automatically do one and then the other or do you have to go back to the main menu to do the second workout?

Nancy - I'm with you, I have a hard time spending lots of $$ on something, and if I do, then I feel so bad when I have to give it away. It's just me, but for some things like clothing I'd rather spend a little and have lots of different, say, shirts. Now when it comes to appliances and things like that, you get what you pay for so I'm not so willing to skrimp.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. I have had a busy day, as I picked up two loan closing jobs, but it has been fun. Right now I am watching 3 grandsons, and listening to rain, a rare treat around here. The four year old is starting to try to help me type, so I'd better go. Good night! Mary
    Happy birthday Mary :flowerforyou: xx
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Michele, I'm with you there on purchasing. I guess I also feel that I get just as much enjoyment out of cheaper items of clothes and I'd rather have a larger quantity too. I did however buy my daughter a very expensive parka last winter cause all I could think about was her freezing to death out walking her dog. Funny thing is we never really had much of a winter last year. I'd rather spend a bit more on appliances and furniture to get the quality because those items are around longer. Off topic but the microwave I have is almost 29 years old. Got it when my first was born and the thing just won't die. It was probably 5X more expensive when I bought it than they are now.

Thanks Barbie, I'm sure you would love hot yoga.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    AGAIN :flowerforyou:

Thanks for all your support.

My motivation is up. I'm trying to really focus of ME! As some may know that is a hard one for me.

BUT, I am forging ahead and "Staying in the moment, one day at a time".

Planting some annuals and perennials today.

All have a great day!

Kathy (plantlady)
  • tiarapants
    Options
    Hello ladies

Happy birthday to those enjoying a special day today.

It's much cooler in London - in fact it's decidely nippy-noodles (as my DD would say). I didn't put a jacket on before I left the house this morning and I really regret it.

I have just had my fix of grapes - honestly, I can hardly make it through the day without them. I suppose there are worse things to be hooked on.

Having had a couple of days at the start of the week when I kept to a liquid only diet, my body is definitely thanking me. I feel altogether less sluggish and full of energy, which is just as well as I have a lot of running around to do today. Although I stuck to fluids, I still managed to keep my calorie level up as I realy don't want to lose any more weight if I can help it. The problems that come with being underweight are almost as bad as those which plague the obese - especially as one gets older.

Last night I was chatting with DH and I finally told him exactly how much weight I had lost. He knew approximately, but was still astounded when I told him the number. As he said, that is slightly more than the combined weight of him and my grandtwins put together. Can you even imagine the stress that carrying those 'extra people' around put on my body? It's no wonder my poor old ticker needed a new valve!

Better get going. Want to continue with my running up the 3 flights of stairs once an hour whilst I'm working.

Love to all.

Amanda x
  • tiarapants
    Options
    Almost forgot - has anybody tried anti-gravity yoga? http://antigravityyoga.co.uk/?show=page
    I'm thinking I may give it a go x
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I am in the city with my daughter and this morning was up much earlier then she needed to be and as its a studio unit was trying to be ver quiet. I was sitting catching up on sll your posts Nd got so inspired got dressed and went out for a walk. It was beautiful around the botanic gardens the opera house on our harbour and back through the city streets.
    To Our cake maker sorry have forgotten your name and trying to type this on my iPhone try using apple sauce in your cakes.
    TO all of you thank you for sharing. Now to spoil my daughter staying an extra night this week. :smile:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yippee, yahoo and all the rest! :happy: Doctor says I can put 50% weight on my foot this week and start walking on it next week! I can go into a swimming pool (think aqua fit) and begin doing all the things I want to do to re-build the strength in my ankle.

Ole, hooray.

Nancy
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :happy: Hello ladies!

I was up untill mid-night last night working on a slide show for my Great neice's graduation from High School.
    have been parking in the back 40 LOL that is what I call the parking lot here because it is so far from the hospital. I wanted to add more steps in the morning, as you know I have a sit down job. I watch heart monitors and can not just get up and leave when ever , I have to have one of the other techs or a RN sit in for me and if they are busy oh well it might be a long waite. :grumble:
    sorry I didn't meen to go on like that.

Fay : so you live in the top part of FL, we have a frined that has a condo in St. Peat and we spent a couple days at Treasuer iland when we went down last year and then on down to DH's moms house. she is closer to Fort Meyers about 2 hrs, inland.

Kathy; so happy to hear you are feeling better :smile:

Nancy; My DH and GDs have read all of the Hunger Games books and they love them. My oldst GD for her 16th BD this year instead of a party took 3friends , one cousin and one sister to the opening of the movie and they all loved it. I have not read them yet.

Bariecat; thank you for the encouragement and I will not give up untill I can do it ! those planks will not defeat me, what do you think is a good goal to start with?

Happy Birthday to you Mary hope you have a wonderful day!:

Michele; My DH is not what I would call real picky, but I have made diference vegs, for me because he hates broccoli and cauliflower, and peas which I love.
    here is a web sigh you can use for the cakes www.buzzle.com/articles/oil-substitute-in-cake-mix.html
    it has a lot of diference ideals:happy:

Amanda; you are amazing! have a good day and I looked at the web sight for the Anti-gravity Yoga and it look intereasting , let us know if you try it and how it goes.:bigsmile:

Jellyfishen; Nice walk, sounds like you are have a good visit with DD , have a wonderful day!

well Ladies I had better go for now , will try and check in later have a great day!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    yahooooo! Nancy that is great news !!!! :happy:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Michelle – I don't know if it would work for your cake, but you might try applesauce. I used ½ applesauce and part whole wheat flour in a zucchini bread and it turned out just fine.

Mary – Happy birthday!:happy:

Nancy - That IS good news about your foot! :bigsmile:

Have to make this short. Too much to do, too little day.

Oh, the push ups - couldn't do them when I was a twenty something and a normal weight and still can't as a pudgy sixty something. :laugh: But I'm going to keep trying. DH was kind and said some people's shoulders just aren't built for pushups even if they are strong enough to do them. Good hubby brownie points for him. :wink:

Take care and keep moving. :drinker:

Faye
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sunny Thursday All!

rp- great motivation getting in a walk before work:drinker: I'd have to get up at "O dark thirty" if I were to get some exercise in before work...well maybe someday:wink:

Nancy- it's already been six weeks since your surgery:noway: wow how time flies, although I'm sure for you at times it's gone pretty slow...hoping that the Dr appt went well and he says you are ready to put weight on your foot. You are a dedicated teacher reading the things that keep you in the "know" with what your students are into. My Dad taught 7th and 8th grade for 29 years and when he retired we told him he could finally start talking like an adult:laugh: He was always into the latest lingo and never failed to use it. It's great that you Mom cooks food that is good for your MFP eating, but not so good that it's tastes so good you want extras:blushing: You were posting when I was...YEAH GREAT NEWS ON THE FOOT!

Faye- a root canal, YUCK:flowerforyou: hope it goes smoothly. Over the weekend hubby and I were outside picking up sticks and branches everytime we turned around, the cottonwood tree in the front just seems to drop them ALL the time:grumble: one of the reasons hubby keeps saying we should cut it down...I can't imagine doing acres of pick up:noway:

Kathy(plantlady) glad today is a good day:flowerforyou:

mom2boys- Welcome come back often and let us get to know you, this is the BEST place to be:drinker:

Kackie- isn't it amazing how we so look forward to when everyone comes to visit and then are so glad for the quiet and return to normal when they all leave:happy:

Joyce- those push ups are HARD, last night I tried some and manly push ups aren't for me right now (HATS OFF TO BARBIE for being able to do them) I was able to do 5 girly ones but that was it:blushing:

AlwaysNancy- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY:flowerforyou: Yummmm Belgium Chocolates:love: #3 Son & DIL emailed yesterday that they have finished at the pygmy village and were headed to Belgium today and they said they would be bringing back chocolates with them...yep I'm excited for them to get home and bring on the chocolates:wink: the microwave that wouldn't dies :laugh: Do you think that maybe some things were made that much better 29 years ago?

Barbie- your grilled dinner sounds delicous:love: I remember reading where you said you get on the scale in the AM and then the PM at the end of the day. I have found that I need to do that too, it's the only way I keep my goal in front of me. It doesn't upset me when it goes up a bit as I know it's usually due to water or in the event of a weekend it could be because I didn't drink enough water and ate a bit too much. So it's good to know someone else that does it and has been successful in losing and keeping it off:drinker:

Kat- you too doing those manly push ups? I'm sure with your exercise you have a great looking upper body and arms too:love:

Mary- Happy Birthday:flowerforyou:

Michele- putting pureed prunes in a cake mix:noway: I would have never thought to do that, but then I wouldn't be able to give it to hubby as he has IBS and that would not help hime:wink:

Amanda- you said it's cooler but is the sun still shining?:ohwell: Even if it's cooler and the sun shines we can deal with it. Those three flights of stairs are going to be getting you some great looking legs:drinker:

jellyfishjen- your early morning walk sounded wonderful:drinker: and then heading back to spoil your daughter...I love when I get the opportunity to spoil my kids:happy:

Today is supposed to be a few degrees cooler (lower 70's) before we do a warm up for the weekend and the start of next week it's supposed to be in the 90's...I love warm weather. Right now my office is so cold and I'm downing my coffee to get warm and have my space heater on under my desk and still my hands & feet are cold:grumble:

Yesterday I got an email from the realtor that has my parents home listed and she wanted me to lower the price again:grumble: I started at 75,000 in 2010 and now have it at 40,000, and Mom & Dad paid 97,000 for it...as it stands after her commission (if it sells) I won't be getting that much. So hubby brought up the subject of selling here and moving there...it's so hard to think about...moving away from two of my sons and the grandkiddos:cry: But hubbys unemployment is set to run out the end of next month so we will have to make decisions soon:ohwell:

I've preplanned my meals for today and will see about my exercise when I get home. Everyone have a good day. Drink, log and move and then do it again:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • mom2boys75
    mom2boys75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Kackie -- thanks for the recommendation on the book. I've just been on the Amazon website and ordered it -- can't wait to get it. I tried my local Barnes and Noble but they didn't have it.

Thanks to all of you for the nice welcome messages! I'm glad to be here with you. I would like to lose 30 pounds and made myself that commitment yesterday. I plan to do a combination of Chalean Extreme and Slim in 6 for exercise and maybe even throw in a few days of TurboFire here and there.

I live in Iowa (Des Moines area) and work full-time. My husband and I still have one kid at home -- he is almost 15 and will be a 9th grader in the fall (yes .... I was 40 and pregnant .... on purpose! :laugh: )

Thanks again to all of you for helping me feel less alone in this frustrating journey of after 50 weight loss! I'll talk to you all again soon!

Shirley (mom2boys75)
  • dalbrown
    dalbrown Posts: 15
    Options
    I am new to this site (two days), I am navigating posts as best I can but looking for motivation and friends! Hope I figure out how to do that as well. Hot, muggy day here in North Carolina but I am at work in a very cool office. Have a great day everyone!:smile:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    Oh, got a question for anyone: I'm trying to come up with an oil substitute that I can use in white/butter cake batters. When I make a chocolate cake/brownies, I many times substitute pureed prunes for the oil. What Vince can't see, doesn't hurt him. If he ever saw me putting prunes in it, he wouldn't eat it. So I just don't mention it. But the prunes turned the yellow/white cake mix a light shade of brown. Just enought that Vince could tell there was something else in it. I've been looking at Healthy Cooking (Taste of Home) magazine to see what they use as a substitute for the oil, but so far I haven't found anything. They just seem to reduce the amount of oil.

Michelle regarding above Ive heard that applesauce works but Im not sure about the amounts...you may have to google that

Love Kat
  • katiejarr
    Options
    :laugh: Ok ladies last night my DS who is 19 challenged me to manly push ups, I had to spread my hands apart and touch my nose to the floor and I managed to do 8, whew!!! That was hard!!!!!:explode: Now it was 10pm at night and I was tired so maybe I could have done more this morning, no I didn't try again LOL! Ok I won't tell u how many DS did but then he had to show off and do some with one hand!!!!! I was impressed that I could 8!

Love
    Kat:heart::heart:
  • katiejarr
    Options
    I am new to this site (two days), I am navigating posts as best I can but looking for motivation and friends! Hope I figure out how to do that as well. Hot, muggy day here in North Carolina but I am at work in a very cool office. Have a great day everyone!:smile:

:bigsmile: WELCOME Dalbrown!!!

You will love it here!!!

Love
    Kat:heart::heart:
  • Alwaysnancy
    Alwaysnancy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sad start to the day. Last week we had been told one of our retirees had gone to the doctor because of a sore knee. They rushed him to Kingston where the doctor told him that he had to take his leg. He had flesh eating disease. Unfortunately he didn't make it and passed away last night. He was only 60. A couple of years ago another co-worker went home sick and didn't return the next day. When worked called him he didn't answer. His boss thinking this was quite strange called his girlfriend and they both rushed over to find him delirious. He also had flesh eating disease. He fought quite a battle. Here is a video his girlfriend put together. http://www.bryancuerrier.ca/Videos_on_bryan_cuerrier/Entries/2010/12/11_Bryans_Story_So_Far.html It's quite inspirational. If you watch it make sure you have a bos of kleenex. He used to come to yoga with us. I think because he was so fit he did quite well despite losing both legs and an arm and the fingertips on the other arm. I love the message it gives. I think I may give it extra hard tonight at boot camp just for Paul and Bryan! Because I can.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Nancy: SOOOOOOO happy that you can start putting some weight on your foot...You have been SO patient! WTG!

Michelle: I have used applesauce in things like muffins to replace PART of the oil and sugar, but I would google a recipe. I don't do too well guessing on replacement amounts! Let us know how it turns out!

Barbie: If we want to join your Plank challenge, how do we do it? It says you must be a member. I have been doing about 3 planks almost every day and can hold them for different amounts, depending what other exercises I have done that day. I like having a challenge to force me to do more than I would otherwise!

Always Nancy: Wow...the flesh eating thing is very scary to me. I didn't realize it was as common as it seems to becoming! Yikes!

Kat: Yoga has helped me with strength in my upper body too, but I still find it difficult to touch my nose to the floor! Can you do that? Enjoy your "quiet" time!

Dalbrown: Welcome! I am in SC and YES, it is muggy now, isn't it? Look forward to having you here!!

Mary: Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

I ran this morning and made it 2 miles in 22 minutes! That is a bit faster than I've been able to do before, but this humidity will likely put an end to my running. I went early enough that it was ok, but I was still rather wet when I got back home. :tongue:
    But I felt like I needed the "run" after an over-indulgent long weekend!

Better go start putting dinner together! Take care, All:heart: Kackie