Thoughts on Pro-Anorexia Diets

Options

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Why is it that when someone has an ED on here, we have to be sensitive to them and feel sorry for them because they have a mental illness.....

But when someone with a mental illness say, robs a store or hits a woman, they are a criminal?

Double standard?

Because ED's are harming themself and criminals are harming other people?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Why is it that when someone has an ED on here, we have to be sensitive to them and feel sorry for them because they have a mental illness.....

But when someone with a mental illness say, robs a store or hits a woman, they are a criminal?

Double standard?

But both are caused by mental illness. The same root of a problem. They don't have control either way..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

But both are caused by mental illness. The same root of a problem. They don't have control either way..

I am not aware of a mental illness that causes someone to rob a store. Can you please enlighten me?

And if someone who does rob a store is found to have a mental illness that would cause such a thing, usually that person is sent to treatment and not prison.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I do not consider 1200 calories a day a "golden" number. Starvation mode is entered at different points for everyone. My doc knows my intake is 1000 cal a day and approves of it provided I receive enough of the nutrients I need and take my vitamins as he recommends. I'm only 5'1" and for me 1200 maintains, over 1200 adds and 1600 would make me into a hippo in a couple of months.

Here's my 2 cents on anorexia (and other eating disorders). I am a recovering anorexic. When I was full blown into the disease I ate 250 calories a day, not 1000. I ate 1 meal a day (maybe - some days nothing), not 6. I ran 5 - 6 miles minimum at least 6 days a week and worked out on top of that. I wore a size 12 in girls.

For those who think anorexia is all about self-image, it's not always about that, please stop assuming it is. And it is not limited to women either. Different people, men and women, have the disease and the causes range widely. For instance in my case it was all about control. When something went wrong in my life the one thing I could always control was how much *I* ate, how much *I* exercised, what *I* did. It wasn't "how do I look in the mirror".

Anorexia is hard as h*ll on your system. My first heart attack was at 35. ***So those of you who think your child is truly high risk might wish to consider professional assistance*** instead of just watching them because:

1. You are not with them all day, every day, nor should you be
    2. It could be accompanied by bulimia (Mine was. When I did "have" to eat, I purged and that causes a whole host of probs in itself and is not uncommon).
    3. Once those habits are established, it is very difficult to quit "for good". By the time I got help I had been doing it for so many years it was the norm for me (except during pregnancy and even then my diet was very regimented and I was exactly at the caloretic intake my OB recommended).
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

What mental illness causes you to hit a person or rob a store. And we are sensitve to them. That is why some are ruled unfit to go to trial and remanded to a mental facility. I don't think anyone is saying you HAVE to be sensitive to a person with a malfunctioning brain, that's up to you. I personally like to make fun of people with heart defects.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

However I don't know what the "Pro-Anorexia diet" referred to in the OP is ? and we've converged on a definition of starvation / deprivation as losing organ, bone or muscle mass.

I am not very far along in this post obviously, but this bothers me. Here is a person all starvation this, starvation that, please define.
    But they you want to tell all of us you have no idea what pro anorexia is?

I agree with everyone else, I think you are here to just stir the pot honestly.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

They can be found not criminally responsible...
    I don't think we can blame anyone for having an illness, but it is crazy to think that we can control someone's illness by our own actions.
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    What I find funny is that you guys seriously don't know what anorexia is ! My best friends had anorexia , and had been sent to treatment centers. It's not a diet for them , it's there lifestyle . Of course my best friend is a model , she is like 6 foot tall and weighs 110 lbs or less . She eats around 500 calories a day , and tries to puke up any excess calories . She exercises in her alone time when no one is watching her . She hasn't been so severely under weight that you can see bones . She hasn't lost hair , and her skin is healthy after 3 or more years of this diet . She wants to be thin because it's a requirement for her job ; to look good . With that being said , no matter how much treatment she gets ... She will never change her habits unless she wants to . So you can talk about this being unhealthy , but they will keep doing what they have to do under their standards . By the way criminals don't have mental illnesses .
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

I am not aware of a mental illness that causes someone to rob a store. Can you please enlighten me?

And if someone who does rob a store is found to have a mental illness that would cause such a thing, usually that person is sent to treatment and not prison.

I know someone who is schizophrenic and has commited robbery, not even taking cash from stores but random items.. He was taken to jail and made to live in a halfway house.. Most of the time he is a great man, loyal, loving husband and father but he has moments where he is not. I know so much of him as a good person that I can't even judge him for the things he has done when he was very sick and not being treated. Most people treat him as a criminal. He has a record and cannot find work... I feel like someone with an ED gets mostly sympathy. They are hurting everyone around them but they are sick just the same..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is that you guys seriously don't know what anorexia is ! My best friends had anorexia , and had been sent to treatment centers. It's not a diet for them , it's there lifestyle . Of course my best friend is a model , she is like 6 foot tall and weighs 110 lbs or less . She eats around 500 calories a day , and tries to puke up any excess calories . She exercises in her alone time when no one is watching her . She hasn't been so severely under weight that you can see bones . She hasn't lost hair , and her skin is healthy after 3 or more years of this diet . She wants to be thin because it's a requirement for her job ; to look good .

We know what anorexia is.

But thanks.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What I find funny is that you guys seriously don't know what anorexia is ! My best friends had anorexia , and had been sent to treatment centers. It's not a diet for them , it's there lifestyle . Of course my best friend is a model , she is like 6 foot tall and weighs 110 lbs or less . She eats around 500 calories a day , and tries to puke up any excess calories . She exercises in her alone time when no one is watching her . She hasn't been so severely under weight that you can see bones . She hasn't lost hair , and her skin is healthy after 3 or more years of this diet . She wants to be thin because it's a requirement for her job ; to look good . With that being said , no matter how much treatment she gets ... She will never change her habits unless she wants to . So you can talk about this being unhealthy , but they will keep doing what they have to do under their standards . By the way criminals don't have mental illnesses .

See above. I am well aware what it is and is not and that it differs from person to person. I was made even more aware when I had a friggin' heart attack.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad when I see people who have unhealthily high goal weights. I have a large frame too, I understand not everybody fits in the box, but if your waist measurements are still disproportionate and you still have over 30% bodyfat, it is not a healthy weight, it is not curvy, it is still unhealthy and obese.

Why are we only allowed to pick on one half of the disordered eaters?

I'm not at all pro-Ana, but I think they have just as much right to be unhealthy as the girls with a 200 pound goal weight.
  • adrian_indy
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

I know someone who is schizophrenic and has commited robbery, not even taking cash from stores but random items.. He was taken to jail and made to live in a halfway house.. Most of the time he is a great man, loyal, loving husband and father but he has moments where he is not. I know so much of him as a good person that I can't even judge him for the things he has done when he was very sick and not being treated. Most people treat him as a criminal. He has a record and cannot find work... I feel like someone with an ED gets mostly sympathy. They are hurting everyone around them but they are sick just the same..

Sound like your friend had a crap lawyer. But in the end, it sounds like you are not happy with the treatment of your friend. But I don't understand why this would relate to sympathy for a mental disorder like ED? Are you saying they get to much or not enough?
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    UGH. Why are there SO MANY of these kind of threads??

"I dont understand why people can't just eat their calories"
    "Why do people starve themselves"
    "People who dont eat 1200 calories a day are destroying their bodies"

etc etc etc

Maybe those people have an eating disorder. Maybe those people dont actually NEED 1200 calories. Maybe those people overate yesterday and want to make up for it today.

It's really none of your business and if it bugs you so much dont look at their food diary and don't talk to them about what they eat.

Does my mere existence bother you that much? Does the fact that I eat under 1000 calories a day just grind your gears SO much that you need to point me out and analyze me and ask questions about me? I don't go around asking how people can eat over their calorie goal.

I'm just so sick of this. LET PEOPLE EAT WHATEVER THE **** THEY WANT.

Actually it's a PROBLEM when young women starve themselves to death... Some people care about these women...some people care about letting them know he beautiful they are... So you would let someone die?? My friend is 100lbs and looks like a skeleton and to top it off she's pregnant...you think I should just keep my mouth shut??? You think I should just let her keep destroying herself unil she is dead? YOU ARE THE PROBLEm! She is stating an opinion... If it grinds your gears SO MUCH then don't read it... If it GRINDS YOUR GEARS so much then don't be on a site that promotes HEALTH. Not eatin enough calories is NOT healthy... PERIOD.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad when I see people who have unhealthily high goal weights. I have a large frame too, I understand not everybody fits in the box, but if your waist measurements are still disproportionate and you still have over 30% bodyfat, it is not a healthy weight, it is not curvy, it is still unhealthy and obese.

I'm not at all pro-Ana, but I think they have just as much right to be unhealthy as the girls with a 200 pound goal weight.

Umm lots of people set intermediate goals that are more reachable than their final goal and the idea is to reset your goal when you reach an intermediate goal...
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    What I find funny is that you guys seriously don't know what anorexia is ! My best friends had anorexia , and had been sent to treatment centers. It's not a diet for them , it's there lifestyle . Of course my best friend is a model , she is like 6 foot tall and weighs 110 lbs or less . She eats around 500 calories a day , and tries to puke up any excess calories . She exercises in her alone time when no one is watching her . She hasn't been so severely under weight that you can see bones . She hasn't lost hair , and her skin is healthy after 3 or more years of this diet . She wants to be thin because it's a requirement for her job ; to look good .

We know what anorexia is.

Actually you don't lOL . Because I have been at stages in my life with anorexia , and bulimia . I've been to psychiatric wards over 11 times in my life growing up . I recently stopped when I turned 18 , because I know I would have to be paying the bills . But anyways you all have no idea unless you're living that life . To grow up being called fat by family and people at school . For your own husband to say you need to lose weight , when you aren't even really overweight . My husband is in the military , and promotes me to eat less calories and exercise more . Because he ran 10 miles a day and lived off bananas , oranges , and whole grain toast with 1tbsp peanut butter . How is that even possible ? He showed that you can push the human body to extremes , and it still be healthy . He wasn't anorexic , he was just thin . His Dr. said how is he still alive ... I mean everyone is different , and we were raised on different things . I have no money to buy food a lot of the times now , but I also don't eat when I'm not hungry . I can eat up to 2000 calories a day on junk , but eating organic foods I get full off of 1000 calories or less . I count calories , but I only eat what I can now . Before I was so obsessive I would only drink Boost shakes and water . If I ate I would puke up anything just to lose weight . I lost around 30lbs that way . So I just came to this site because I wanted to get back on track . I didn't want to be here to listen to people b*tch about others diets . I thought this site would encourage people to be healthy , but not complain or put others down . I have severe depression and anxiety so when I see these things it hurts my feelings that people talk about me ... Like I have a mental illness when I don't . And yes I gained a lot of weight when I stopped my ana diet , so now I'm taking it off the healthy way .

But thanks.
  • BlackDhalia403
    Options
    I feel like I should just give up EVERYDAY on my stupid diet . I am trying to stay strong for my health . Seeing these threads makes me just feel like giving up , because of haters .
  • torie079
    Options
    And how cAn half of you say.. "if you've never lived it, you can't say anything" How do you know what people have endured in their life.... Silence will not help the situation unfortunately. We all have lived different lives and have death with our own demons when it comes to self image and I can say its not worth it to starve your body of what it needs... It makes you sick and makes you fall into a terrible and self hating state of mind... Been there. People have a right to speak up about it and just because you have been there does not give you the right to dictate our voices.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

Umm lots of people set intermediate goals that are more reachable than their final goal and the idea is to reset your goal when you reach an intermediate goal...

And lots of girls honestly do this for their final goal. There was a thread I read recently where someone was aiming for 200 pounds at my height of 5'4". I'm just saying that both are unhealthy and yet we make countless threads making the low self esteem Ana girls feel bad about themselves, but let the other group maintain their unhealthy weight without comment
  • torie079
    Options
    I feel like I should just give up EVERYDAY on my stupid diet . I am trying to stay strong for my health . Seeing these threads makes me just feel like giving up , because of haters .

I don't see anyone hating... Not one bit. The original post came from concern and sadness...not hate.
This discussion has been closed.