Thoughts on Pro-Anorexia Diets

Options

Replies

• BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day and I eat most of my exercise calories - to be honest I'm pretty sedentary on the days I don't do exercise so the 1200 more than fills me - and my food is all healthy. I have seen some SHOCKING food diaries on here, people getting praise for eating 600-700 calories, and it's made up of complete crap like fast food, soda, chocolate - how is that good??!! I saw someone complain about hair loss, with a food diary of 1-2 items, and then get praised for losing .5lbs??!! That should not be allowed in my humble opinion, there should be something that prevents you from completing your food diary unless you hit your minimum.

The only thing I'd love to know about the 1200=starvation is this: I used weightwatchers to lose my first 30+lbs. I've added up my food diaries on here and converted them to points - and sometimes I'm over my "daily points" limit on 1200. I don't use their system anymore because I found it unsustainable.

I'm not arguing or picking a fight here, I'm just genuinely interested as to why it and its counterparts are such successful programs when they are allowed to advocate that.

I'm on 1200 here aswell and I feel it's not enough! I'm only on day 2 and I've gone over considerably both days - e.g. as of this moment I have 'over eaten' but I haven't had my dinner yet lol! I did ww and found it WAY more flexible. I would have eaten similar amounts but not gone over my points for the week.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I do not consider 1200 calories a day a "golden" number. Starvation mode is entered at different points for everyone. My doc knows my intake is 1000 cal a day and approves of it provided I receive enough of the nutrients I need and take my vitamins as he recommends. I'm only 5'1" and for me 1200 maintains, over 1200 adds and 1600 would make me into a hippo in a couple of months.

Here's my 2 cents on anorexia (and other eating disorders). I am a recovering anorexic. When I was full blown into the disease I ate 250 calories a day, not 1000. I ate 1 meal a day (maybe - some days nothing), not 6. I ran 5 - 6 miles minimum at least 6 days a week and worked out on top of that. I wore a size 12 in girls.

For those who think anorexia is all about self-image, it's not always about that, please stop assuming it is. And it is not limited to women either. Different people, men and women, have the disease and the causes range widely. For instance in my case it was all about control. When something went wrong in my life the one thing I could always control was how much *I* ate, how much *I* exercised, what *I* did. It wasn't "how do I look in the mirror".

Anorexia is hard as h*ll on your system. My first heart attack was at 35. ***So those of you who think your child is truly high risk might wish to consider professional assistance*** instead of just watching them because:

1. You are not with them all day, every day, nor should you be
    2. It could be accompanied by bulimia (Mine was. When I did "have" to eat, I purged and that causes a whole host of probs in itself and is not uncommon).
    3. Once those habits are established, it is very difficult to quit "for good". By the time I got help I had been doing it for so many years it was the norm for me (except during pregnancy and even then my diet was very regimented and I was exactly at the caloretic intake my OB recommended).

Thank you for sharing your insight as someone who has dealt with this issue personally. It's easy to argue numbers and definitions but I think it's one of those things that unless you've been through it it's hard to wrap your mind around what anorexia is really like. All I know about anorexia is things that I've learned from documentaries and reading up on it (from what I have read anorexia is very closely related to a form of OCD).

On the original topic: I do agree that I find it disturbing when I see some people promote unhealthy things on this site that could lead to unhealthy weight loss. It's very sad when people get sucked into fad diets and things without doing their research first. However my thinking would be to do your research and speak with your doctor before starting any diet or making major changes in your calorie intake. There's lots of misleading advice online and like a lot of people have said, individual needs are different. A thorough check up by your doctor and sound medical advice would be preferable over jumping into something that could be potentially dangerous. Better to lose weight safely and keep on top of your overall health rather than just look to reduce appearance (and I mean that toward people who are just looking to lose weight- not anorexics). I have a lot of weight to lose but I'm not willing to do something drastic to lose it, because I want to keep it off once I do lose it, and I am losing weight for my HEALTH. If I lose weight by jumping into a dangerous fad diet and cause other health problems, then I have defeated my purpose. I want to be healthy for life! ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Why is it that when someone has an ED on here, we have to be sensitive to them and feel sorry for them because they have a mental illness.....

But when someone with a mental illness say, robs a store or hits a woman, they are a criminal?

Double standard?

Because ED's are harming themself and criminals are harming other people?

But both are caused by mental illness. The same root of a problem. They don't have control either way..

I am not aware of a mental illness that causes someone to rob a store. Can you please enlighten me?

And if someone who does rob a store is found to have a mental illness that would cause such a thing, usually that person is sent to treatment and not prison.

I know someone who is schizophrenic and has commited robbery, not even taking cash from stores but random items.. He was taken to jail and made to live in a halfway house.. Most of the time he is a great man, loyal, loving husband and father but he has moments where he is not. I know so much of him as a good person that I can't even judge him for the things he has done when he was very sick and not being treated. Most people treat him as a criminal. He has a record and cannot find work... I feel like someone with an ED gets mostly sympathy. They are hurting everyone around them but they are sick just the same..

Sound like your friend had a crap lawyer. But in the end, it sounds like you are not happy with the treatment of your friend. But I don't understand why this would relate to sympathy for a mental disorder like ED? Are you saying they get to much or not enough?

Too much, and there is a huge double standard. It seems acceptable to pick on people or judge people who are 100 pounds overweight and are addicted to food. That is an eating disorder also... But someone who is underweight deserves sympathy?
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    By the way criminals don't have mental illnesses .

Do you mean not *all* criminals have a mental illness? What about a mother suffering from DOCUMENTED post-partum depression that kills her infant child? She commited a crime, but she also suffers from a mental illness... and this is just ONE example.

Sorry, but this comment pissed me off. You are preaching to everyone that no one has any idea about anorexia except for you, but then go and make a FALSE blanket statement about a different topic. Pretty hypocritical.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Why is it that when someone has an ED on here, we have to be sensitive to them and feel sorry for them because they have a mental illness.....

But when someone with a mental illness say, robs a store or hits a woman, they are a criminal?

Double standard?

But both are caused by mental illness. The same root of a problem. They don't have control either way..

I am not aware of a mental illness that causes someone to rob a store. Can you please enlighten me?

And if someone who does rob a store is found to have a mental illness that would cause such a thing, usually that person is sent to treatment and not prison.

I know someone who is schizophrenic and has commited robbery, not even taking cash from stores but random items.. He was taken to jail and made to live in a halfway house.. Most of the time he is a great man, loyal, loving husband and father but he has moments where he is not. I know so much of him as a good person that I can't even judge him for the things he has done when he was very sick and not being treated. Most people treat him as a criminal. He has a record and cannot find work... I feel like someone with an ED gets mostly sympathy. They are hurting everyone around them but they are sick just the same..

Sound like your friend had a crap lawyer. But in the end, it sounds like you are not happy with the treatment of your friend. But I don't understand why this would relate to sympathy for a mental disorder like ED? Are you saying they get to much or not enough?

Too much, and there is a huge double standard. It seems acceptable to pick on people or judge people who are 100 pounds overweight and are addicted to food. That is an eating disorder also... But someone who is underweight deserves sympathy?

Good point ... I feel for both ends of the spectrum... Someone overrating can be cause from a mental problem as well but people look down on them... My mother is morbidly obese and sometimes I havE to say things she does not like...but me saying nothing will not help her! My best friend is anorexic and pregnant and I could just cry because ive never seen her like this... No one is trying to judge anyone...but how can any one face this problem if it is not talked about!?
  • asphyxiac
    asphyxiac Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    UGH. Why are there SO MANY of these kind of threads??

"I dont understand why people can't just eat their calories"
    "Why do people starve themselves"
    "People who dont eat 1200 calories a day are destroying their bodies"

etc etc etc

Maybe those people have an eating disorder. Maybe those people dont actually NEED 1200 calories. Maybe those people overate yesterday and want to make up for it today.

It's really none of your business and if it bugs you so much dont look at their food diary and don't talk to them about what they eat.

Does my mere existence bother you that much? Does the fact that I eat under 1000 calories a day just grind your gears SO much that you need to point me out and analyze me and ask questions about me? I don't go around asking how people can eat over their calorie goal.

I'm just so sick of this. LET PEOPLE EAT WHATEVER THE **** THEY WANT.

Actually it's a PROBLEM when young women starve themselves to death... Some people care about these women...some people care about letting them know he beautiful they are... So you would let someone die?? My friend is 100lbs and looks like a skeleton and to top it off she's pregnant...you think I should just keep my mouth shut??? You think I should just let her keep destroying herself unil she is dead? YOU ARE THE PROBLEm! She is stating an opinion... If it grinds your gears SO MUCH then don't read it... If it GRINDS YOUR GEARS so much then don't be on a site that promotes HEALTH. Not eatin enough calories is NOT healthy... PERIOD.

Really? She is the problem? Are you kidding me? A user who is making a concerted attempt to recover from a crippling mental illness is the problem? Are you so blinded by your ignorance that you believe it's constructive to make ad hominem arguments and attack a girl in recovery from an ED who is obviously just frustrated by the critical and often cruel statements made towards individuals like herself on this board?

She never said that you should 'let someone die' and 'destroy herself'. She simply stated that one may not be aware of the 'whole picture', so to speak, and that perhaps one ought to consider all possibilities before attacking. As in, look before you leap. Not bad advice, to be honest.

I swear to God, if your post is an illustration of the intelligence level of the average MFP user, then I am going to start making a concerted effort to avoid this website.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a question?

Double standard?

Just because one doesn't get enough sympathy doesn't mean the other should get quit getting sympathy, does it? I agree with the inequality in which different EDs are treated, but things like AIDS got way more media play than cancer...doesn't mean I quit sympathizing with the AIDS patient. They are all sick.
  • torie079
    Options

etc etc etc

Maybe those people have an eating disorder. Maybe those people dont actually NEED 1200 calories. Maybe those people overate yesterday and want to make up for it today.

It's really none of your business and if it bugs you so much dont look at their food diary and don't talk to them about what they eat.

Does my mere existence bother you that much? Does the fact that I eat under 1000 calories a day just grind your gears SO much that you need to point me out and analyze me and ask questions about me? I don't go around asking how people can eat over their calorie goal.

Actually it's a PROBLEM when young women starve themselves to death... Some people care about these women...some people care about letting them know he beautiful they are... So you would let someone die?? My friend is 100lbs and looks like a skeleton and to top it off she's pregnant...you think I should just keep my mouth shut??? You think I should just let her keep destroying herself unil she is dead? YOU ARE THE PROBLEm! She is stating an opinion... If it grinds your gears SO MUCH then don't read it... If it GRINDS YOUR GEARS so much then don't be on a site that promotes HEALTH. Not eatin enough calories is NOT healthy... PERIOD.

Really? She is the problem? Are you kidding me? A user who is making a concerted attempt to recover from a crippling mental illness is the problem? Are you so blinded by your ignorance that you believe it's constructive to make ad hominem arguments and attack a girl in recovery from an ED who is obviously just frustrated by the critical and often cruel statements made towards individuals like herself on this board?

She never said that you should 'let someone die' and 'destroy herself'. She simply stated that one may not be aware of the 'whole picture', so to speak, and that perhaps one ought to consider all possibilities before attacking. As in, look before you leap. Not bad advice, to be honest.

I swear to God, if your post is an illustration of the intelligence level of the average MFP user, then I am going to start making a concerted effort to avoid this website.
    Where in her statement did she say she was recovering from a mental illness??? Where did she say she was recovering from an ED? I see going at someone for stating an opinion that came from concern and sadness... Thank you for showing me how intelligent you are. I did not mean to say that SHE persay was the problem... But her mind frame is "let everyone do what the **** they want" THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID...
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with this wholeheartedly! I have been "dieting and exercising" since Jan 09, 2012 and have been frustrated by slow weight loss, and not feeling very well. About 2 weeks ago I finally upped my calories to about 1600, because I had been consistently below 1000 to 1200, and no weight loss. I believe I was in a so-called starvation mode, but now I feel great, and am seeing some inches come off-still only 4 pounds. I suggest everyone check out the "Excel spreadsheet for BMR, TDEE" and adjust their personal goals according to that under the MFP Search.
  • asphyxiac
    asphyxiac Posts: 12 Member
    Options

etc etc etc

Where in her statement did she say she was recovering from a mental illness??? I see going at someone for stating an opinion that came from concern and sadness... Thank you for showing me how intelligent you are. I did not mean to say that SHE persay was the problem... But her mind frame is "let everyone do what the **** they want" THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID...

Blah, blah, blah. One poorly constructed statement after another. Wonderful. Can you write anything without an abundance of ellipses or is that simply beyond you?

She states in a previous post within this very thread that she had an ED.

Here:

As a recovered bulimic, posts like this really anger me. Why the hell is it anyone's business what issues anyone else is suffering through? Yes, you eat all your exercise calories and believe eating under X number of calories = death, good for you, no need to evangelise about it. Have you never considered that these suffering girls may or may not be mentally ill and UNABLE to eat more? Condescendingly judging them will get you nowhere. Live and LET LIVE.

You said exactly that she was the problem. I quote you:

...YOU ARE THE PROBLEm!

Anyway, I'm leaving this thread, so don't waste your time responding. Try reading a book, or something - one without pictures, if possible.

P.S. Kinda sucks when people are condescending towards you, huh? Seems a bit childish and pompous, doesn't it?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have never made fun of someone for being overweight and I do have a lot of sympathy for someone who is very overweight, just as I do for someone who suffers from any eating disorder. It can't be pleasant to live inside their heads or their bodies.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

etc etc etc

Where in her statement did she say she was recovering from a mental illness??? I see going at someone for stating an opinion that came from concern and sadness... Thank you for showing me how intelligent you are. I did not mean to say that SHE persay was the problem... But her mind frame is "let everyone do what the **** they want" THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID...

Blah, blah, blah. One poorly constructed statement after another. Wonderful. Can you write anything without an abundance of ellipses or is that simply beyond you?

She states in a previous post within this very thread that she had an ED.

Here:

As a recovered bulimic, posts like this really anger me. Why the hell is it anyone's business what issues anyone else is suffering through? Yes, you eat all your exercise calories and believe eating under X number of calories = death, good for you, no need to evangelise about it. Have you never considered that these suffering girls may or may not be mentally ill and UNABLE to eat more? Condescendingly judging them will get you nowhere. Live and LET LIVE.

You said exactly that she was the problem. I quote you:

...YOU ARE THE PROBLEm!

Anyway, I'm leaving this thread, so don't waste your time responding. Try reading a book, or something - one without pictures, if possible.

P.S. Kinda sucks when people are condescending towards you, huh? Seems a bit childish and pompous, doesn't it?

Welcome to the forums!
  • torie079
    Options
    I did not ready the entire thread... I don't read all the pages. So I did not know that. Like I said I don't mean that SHE is the problem.. Especially if she has the problem herself. And i do apologize to her if that hurt her. But letting people eat whatever they want and silence will still not help this problem and I stand by that. Silence and darkness will only hide it. I also don't care what a complete stranger says about me... Lol. I have seen diets on here that are promoted that are indeed unhealthy and that's what the OP is talking about... She jumped down her throat.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had anorexia for several years. My lowest weight was 38-39kg for 5'2 height. For a couple of years no one knew what was anorexia and i was going for one doctor to the other.Everyone thought i had anemia or other diseases. I didnt got anorexia because i thought i was fat, it was because my life sucked and i couldnt eat anything...anything would pass my throat without me feeling sick, really sick. When i was in the rock bottom of my anorexia i couldnt even get out of the bed because i was so weak and my heart start faling. I was so unhappy in my life that the only thing that would (supposedly) calm my stress and make me smile was the power of not eating. Note that i wasnt feeling fat or ugly...i was having a true nervous breakdown and having anorexia nervosa, not anorexia because of vanity. I remember like it was yesterday my mothers face when she came into the room with some cute plate with cute food and i tried it. She was so happy. Thats when i decided that i needed to recover, that i didnt want to die. Then i went up to 42-43kg and stayed there for a couple of years, starving my self, this time because i "thought" i was fat...stupid and ignorant me. This time i almost killed my self with vanity "anorexia".
    Now im over weighted and im genuinely afraid of trying to make a diet...that is one of the reasons i keep sabotaging my self. And yes, im overweighted but im so happy...happier than when i was with 43kg...even 47kg. Im happy with my huge 72kg. But i want to get healthier.

People with anorexia, nervosa or "vanity" one, they really feel hunger...a lot! For the ones that have it because of stress, depression, disease, etc (anorexia nervosa) the level of stress that the mind and body are under is the same as being caught by flames surrounding you: your heart beats so hard that you think that you are going to have a heart attack, is dificult to breath because your chest seems crushed, the head hurts, you cant swallow...its is really awful.
    A "vanity" anorexia can go to "anorexia nervosa" if people dont be careful. Normally that happens because their life sucks (even if it doesnt sucks but the person thinks it sucks), so who ever does this for "fun" should be really careful.

Anorexia is deadly and will leave scares for all your life. Please be careful.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Truly wish you didn't post that. There is a reason a lot of people in recovery are on My FITNESS Pal. I read forum posts to be motivated, and feel supported. Not be reminded of the similar tragic cycle I was stuck in for over 10 years.

We all know what 'pro-ana' is. Didn't need to post anything. I'm going to stay away from this forum for a while.

Agreed.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Truly wish you didn't post that. There is a reason a lot of people in recovery are on My FITNESS Pal. I read forum posts to be motivated, and feel supported. Not be reminded of the similar tragic cycle I was stuck in for over 10 years.

We all know what 'pro-ana' is. Didn't need to post anything. I'm going to stay away from this forum for a while.

I didn't quote the right response, but okay.

There is a difference between showing the terrible natures of anorexia and bulimia and posting a step-by-step outline of how to develop an eating disorder of your own volition (as in, you realize you're doing it, you're doing it for certain weight loss goals, etc.). The truth of the matter is that it CAN be very triggering to some people, hence the reason someone awhile back said, "This site can be very detrimental to those with eating disorders"...and not only those who are actively suffering, but those who are recovering. You can certainly say what you want to say, and while, yes, it is ignorant to think that these things don't exist, it's not really necessary to share a 'how-to' guide, even if you think it is just spreading awareness.
    [/quote]

Well said.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The whole mindset should change about dieting. They should stop saying "eat less" and start saying "eat better" I am sure I could eat salad all day and be fine. But measuring calories does serve a purpose, it does help especially i the beginning so you can become aware of what you are eating and what is in all of it. And you can start learning portion control.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have never made fun of someone for being overweight and I do have a lot of sympathy for someone who is very overweight, just as I do for someone who suffers from any eating disorder. It can't be pleasant to live inside their heads or their bodies.
    But why the hell does some self righteous person come in every day that the under eaters are killing themselves and nobody is allowed to say the same of the over eaters. And honestly, I would bet that the per person taxpayer cost of obesity is worse than that of anorexia.

"In 1990, the direct cost of obesity-associated disease in the US was $US45.8 billion, and the indirect cost of obesity was estimated to be $US23.0 billion. Therefore the total economic cost of obesity was estimated to be $US68.8 billion in 1990."

The cost of obesity: the US perspective.

AuthorsWolf AM, et al. Show all Journal
    Pharmacoeconomics. 1994;5(Suppl 1):34-7.

Affiliation
    Harvard Medical School, Channing Laboratory, Boston, Massachusetts.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But why the hell does some self righteous person come in every day that the under eaters are killing themselves and nobody is allowed to say the same of the over eaters. And honestly, I would bet that the per person taxpayer cost of obesity is worse than that of anorexia.

"In 1990, the direct cost of obesity-associated disease in the US was $US45.8 billion, and the indirect cost of obesity was estimated to be $US23.0 billion. Therefore the total economic cost of obesity was estimated to be $US68.8 billion in 1990."

The cost of obesity: the US perspective.

AuthorsWolf AM, et al. Show all Journal
    Pharmacoeconomics. 1994;5(Suppl 1):34-7.

Affiliation
    Harvard Medical School, Channing Laboratory, Boston, Massachusetts.

Um ... I don't know what message board YOU'RE on, but that does happen. A lot.
  • ExistingAsAMemory
    Options
    The Topic: Thoughts on Pro-Anorexia Diets....

My oldest child (daughter) is now 12 years old. She's become a bit obsessed with being "thin" lately. I find myself watching her like a hawk now to make sure she actually eats and eat healthy. I'm scared sh&tless that she will harm her body by starving and developing a ED. I'm her mom....what do you expect? I'll harm myself before I'll watch her being caused harm, by her own means or by anothers.

So, I went and researched it - the whole Pro-Ana and ED subjects. I was shocked senseless. And ended up being even more afraid for her.
    I will and am educating her on the very heartbreaking reality of these so called "diets". I will continue doing so and will educate her in doing it RIGHT. Eating enough, and most importantly - Healthy.

Those of you that comment on "See...she does it with only 800 or 1000 or 1100 calories a day!!"..... If its done under Dr's. care, yes, its safe. Mostly, see me saying mostly, the person losing healthily and safely on that is an obese person that can do it like that. The closer you get to goal weight though, the harder it will be sustaining and keep on being healthy on that amount of calories. Especially if you are exercising and your GOAL is life long health. Short term weight loss is easy if you starve. Its stupid as well.

Why the hell would you want to eat only a little bit for the rest of your life if you can eat quite a lot - healthy food with the occasional treat in there. And dont tell me you cant help how you feel about food...you can if you get the help you need.

Anyway.....I thought I'd share this bit of shocking, disgusting and vile advice from a so called human being that thinks its fine telling the kids and young adults of today that THIS is the way to live your life... (found this while doing my research for my daughter on Pro-Ana):

Written by Jade Posted at 06:41

Oh my God. No, this should never be on here! Even though you're trying to show us the negative aspects of such a diet, you don't know how many people may actually follow this.
    As a recovering anorexic, I'm telling you that this is so wrong. People, argue about this okay but don't post this here! This is supposed to be a positive place.

I really hope your daughter doesn't fall into the pit of ED.
This discussion has been closed.