WTF is wrong with me

Options

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    @ Romach....I am sorta stuck too. I have to Take 42 units of Lantus daily for my type II diabetes. How does this impact on fat loss for me? I should have asked the Endochronologist last week but It dind't come to mind? any advice would be appreciated.

I would not advise going low carb (essentially) as it is very dangerous for Type II diabetics, they can get Ketoacidosis.

Low carb isn't dangerous for all type 2 diabetics, but ketoacidosis can be a danger for an insulin-dependent diabetic (type 1 or 2). Lowering carb intake will help normalize blood sugar, but you need to do it with your doctor's assistance so you can reduce insulin or other sugar-lowering meds gradually and safely.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I thought I would jump in here as well! I love this post and first of all, 65lbs! WOW!!! Way to go!!

I have a different thought process with snacks at home. I do not believe by not having it, you teach your children better habits, I believe they will learn to eat it elsewhere without your guidance. I have a couple of ideas.. First of all, give your children some input on what they want, within reason of course, and stipulations that this is extra stuff and must last. And teach them about serving sizes. I love the idea of breaking up a box of cheez-its into snack size portions! But I would take this one step further, availability and convenience creates a problem. We have a tendency to grab what is easy when we are hungry, so try this instead, put the treats on the highest spot, or most inconvenient place (I keep mine on the shelves in the garage outside the door) at the same time keep the crisper stocked with free foods, pre cut carrots, celery etc. Fruit on the table easy to grab and convenient. Only buy the extras once or twice a month, once they are gone, they are gone, period, so the kids learn to eat them responsibly. The easy access of the fruit and veggies can create a good habit there while the fatty snacks are less accessible and not visible at first glance. The fatty snacks cannot be touched without your permission, period.

Second, with multiple kids I would watch for competitive eating......seriously, I have 3 sisters and I knew that if I didnt get my share quick, I might miss out completely. I still do this at family gatherings! Look there are deviled eggs, yum, I better get mine before Martha sees these......... Ugg!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    CHEEZE BALLZ and tootsie rolls?!? I EEFING LOVE THEM!
  • MzVonda
    MzVonda Posts: 87
    Options
    Hang in there! I think it is so totally awesome that you lost the 65lbs so you are doing great things...try not to be so hard on yourself, we all have days were we want our favorite things, just try to treat yourself every once in a while and pace yourself when you do....it's okay...as long as you just keep moving forward you will be fine!!! Keep up your good work :0)
  • wcerullo2000
    Options
    I also wish my mom had limited those kinds of foods!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the possibility that you aren't eating enough calories? The urge to binge is not always an emotional response. I have no science to back this up with, but I have always heard that your body craves what it needs. If you are binging after 2 or 3 weeks of eating low calorie, maybe it is because your body is trying to tell you that it needs more. Just something to consider since MFP really can't accurately account for TDEE.
  • Kyahill
    Kyahill Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you mad when you reach for snacks? Lonely? Depressed? . We all sometimes 'JUST WANT SOMETHING' so have some, a sensible portion, not the whole bag. Often, if you don't know what you want...salt or sweet...it can be enough to put a little of one or both in the palm of your hand and taste it with your tongue.
    It can be that we just want something to do with our hands. Do you crochet or do some kind of needlework? Anything to keep the hands busy.
    You have done a good job with the 60+ pounds you have lost! Occasionally we just want to say the heck with it all and give up, but then feel badly about ourselves. It feels good to know when weight is lost and that is the feeling we want to keep.
    Keep it up, you will get there. :)
  • thewinwithin
    thewinwithin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I completely understand!! I am an emotional eater and have always turned to food! I used to binge on the snacks I would bring home for my boyfriend, and had the same mentality..it's not fair for him not to have those things. I've since changed my way of thinking and realized it's not fair to ME to have them readily available..at least until I get my emotions in check regarding my weight. It helps that he has been completely supportive of this too! I know it's different with kids, but how about getting "healthy" snacks instead..like veggies or fruit. Good luck! You are doing fantastic...65lbs is AMAZING!!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was thinking similar thoughts last night...man could I binge! I never had to worry about eating before, ate all I wanted, and never gained. Now that I am over 40 (as I see you are), I can't seem to keep my weight where I want it. I run 30-35 miles a week, and it seems so unfair that I can't eat what I want. lol But I was thinking...is this the rest of my life...being hungry all the time & thinking about food? I don't like it. So I guess we all have times where all we want to do is eat. Congrats on so much weight loss AFTER 40. You are doing amazing!
  • onecutey
    onecutey Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree - your children need to learn good nutrition NOW, so they don't have the same issues with food. And as stated above, set a day every week where you can eat what you want. That way you don't think you are deprived, and it may even boost your weight loss, especially if you are stuck in a menu rut.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    TRY HAVE PRE MADE TREAT BAGS FOR "PIG OUT" MAKE THEM TASTE AND FUN BUT NOT A TOTAL BLOW OUT ONLY ONE PER WEEK HANG IN THERE GOOD LUCK
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i understand...

...NOTHING is wrong with you.

YOU LOST 65 #!! omg. that is amazing. i hear you on wanting to lose the last 30...but please give yourself some credit too!!! i've only lost 6, and i am beating myself up kind of badly over the lunch i just had....but c'est la vie and we move on and make better choices next time.

hugs!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you have some additional calories at the day's end, measure out the CheezIt's and a few Tootsie Rolls and eat as many as you can fit into that day's allocation. It is hard for me to have things I love in the house. If I know ahead of time I really need to eat some, I'll include it as part of lunch or dinner and cut back on other things (I know this is not healthy). If you measure them out and enter them in your diary right before you eat them, it may help keeping the calories in perpective. I don't think it's good to deny yourself, just get some control over it.
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    @ Romach....I am sorta stuck too. I have to Take 42 units of Lantus daily for my type II diabetes. How does this impact on fat loss for me? I should have asked the Endochronologist last week but It dind't come to mind? any advice would be appreciated.

I would not advise going low carb (essentially) as it is very dangerous for Type II diabetics, they can get Ketoacidosis.

Low carb isn't dangerous for all type 2 diabetics, but ketoacidosis can be a danger for an insulin-dependent diabetic (type 1 or 2). Lowering carb intake will help normalize blood sugar, but you need to do it with your doctor's assistance so you can reduce insulin or other sugar-lowering meds gradually and safely.

Thanks Castle. Also to the OP, Forgive me for jumping onto your issue.....
  • JoEh1959
    JoEh1959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the kids need junk food in the house? You may as well get them started on healthy snacking now, bake cookies one a week and make them last for sweets. IE one cookie a day..they will need your permission to have a cookie. But not permission to eat grapes, celery, and carrots..etc.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hey youre at a great spot right now! 30 from goal!!

When I got there it felt like I was going to lose my grip on all of it, all the weight Id already lost, all the pride, all the sense of accomplishment, I just couldnt progress anymore.

I had to break down my program to the building blocks and start over. I cut out cardio except for warmups, walking and any runs I wanted to do for my own peace of mind- cause Id gotten to the point where I was going at least tice a week on autopilot. Then I threw myself into strength training- I mean seriously through myself into getting stronger.

I couldnt worry about the scale anymore cause it wasnt giving me results, I couldnt focus on my eating anymore cause it was great 80% of the time. Instead I decided to change what my body was made up of, bringing down my body fat % etc.

It worked. It was time for the switch- out of weight loss mode and into change mode. REAL change. Actual change. Changing what my new shape was turning into.

It changed my life and saved my sanity and got 20 more pounds off. With shorter workouts and less traveling far from home!

Youre at the perfect spot to rearrange your routine as well!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 60+ lbs lost. What an amazing victory for yourself and your health :)

I agree with Yoovie about strength training, it works wonders. Making exercise goals instead of scale/weight/measurement goals is key, especially if the scale is not behaving as you would wish, and you're losing motivation.... also....

Maybe you should reset your ticker to show 30lbs to go as extra motivation?

One splurge every few weeks is not going to ruin your diet. What is troublesome is that you feel "out of control" in these moments... maybe you need to plan a splurge meal where you know you're going to be over that day so you can eliminate all the guilt.

Either way, good luck :)
  • dottheyes30
    dottheyes30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What I use to do at my time of the month was crave sugar and salt. Since I have gone through the change of life but
    I still have the craving once a month and also still put on 5 lbs. of water weight. After the week is over the 5 lbs. are gone
    and so are the craving.
    If you get right back on track after you do it I don't think it is a problem. Look how much you lost already....You must be doing
    something right.
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Once every couple of weeks isn't too bad, and it's good that you're logging it. Everyone has those days.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You justified having Cheez Its and Tootsie Rolls because your kids need the junk food. Your kids DO NOT need junk food. What's not fair is that you haven't found healthy alternatives that they could love too. You are setting them up for bad eating habits by having foods like this in the house. So not only are you allowing trigger foods that set you off / but you are allowing yourself to give harmful food to your kids.

Instead of Cheez It's and Tootsie Rolls why don't you find other healthy snack alternatives that you and your family can enjoy. Natural / Organic ones that do not have preservatives and are processed junk.

Once you get the junk out of your house you will have less of a binge issue.

Hell, if I had pizza sitting around my house 7 days a week you'd bet your *kitten* I'd be eating it or wanting to. But I choose not to have it in front of me because i'll want to eat it.

My househould does not have that junk. People love snacks, but I will make a healthy brownie. And i cook the brownies in muffin pans so that they are already measured out and i know i can have one... and if i'm really feeling hungry i'll have two. I make my brownies with yogurt or apple sauce and NOT butter / oils / eggs.

You need to stop telling yourself you are struggling struggling struggling. Same old story you are telling yourself. Move on. Be someone different. Be strong. Be happy with your progress. Stop complaining about your failures!!!

good luck.

Thank you! This was my very first thought as well and I'm glad you and several other people have mentioned this.

OP - If you want to go the "eat junk in moderation" route, you're certainly entitled to that decision. But your post makes it seem like you think it's not okay for you to eat that stuff, that it's unhealthy for some reason. So if you think it's unhealthy for you, why do you think it's okay for your kids to eat it? Not having Cheez-Its and Tootsie Rolls in the house wouldn't be depriving your children! It's not like you can't have treats, but there are plenty of alternatives to that stuff if you think you shouldn't be eating it and you want to eat it when it's in the house. Kids want snacks? Have some nut butter with apples, bananas, carrots, ant on a log, etc. Maybe make some sweet popcorn and serve a small portion. Or something. I'm trying to say snacking and sweets are fine, but it doesn't have to be candy and flavored crackers to be yummy.