Telling people or not.

Options
12346»

Replies

• shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i wish i didn't tell people- cause now it's embarrassing that i've been maintaining so long...
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    gosh, all my friends and family know i desperately want to lose weight and that i've been wanting to for 2 years! i've just gained since then...i feel like a failure. i told my family and some friends that i was losing weight with mfp and was starting to track my calories. but the holidays have hit me and i've gained all the weight i've lost since november! ugh! the sad thing is it seems like they don't really care if i lose or not...
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm still young and not at all that fat. So if I tell people I'm trying to lose weight they'll think I'm anorexic. No one knows, only my best friend.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I treat it like any other personal information. I might mention it in passing to people close to me, or if they ask... and of course to people here (duh).
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm not!

Better to see the surprised expression on their faces! :bigsmile:
  • shandi_b
    shandi_b Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've told my husband and a couple of my close friends and (the whole world on MFP). Other than that, nope - not telling anyone and a couple of reasons why: 1. I work with a bunch of guys that are think they are the food police at the best of times 2. My mother (who has been on a diet since as long as I can remember), always tries to compare or "one up" - sheesh I'm not in a competition with her!

So - nope - they can just be surprised when I succeed (and yes - this time *I will* succeed!)
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I told no one except for my parents.

The world caught on 2 months in, around April.

I didn't tell anyone cos I don't think it's really anyone's business that I'm losing weight, and I don't really like having people ask for advice or tell me that I'm doing it wrong cos I eat carbs etc etc when my progress has been better than theirs.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I hate when people know that you have been losing weight and mention something about it each time they see you whether you have lost or not. It is completely annoying!!! I also hate when people want you to pin down a number on how much you have lost. How the hell can I remember how much I weighed since I last saw them.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I didn't really tell anyone when I started nor when I really got serious about it 7 months ago and doubled my total weight loss in a fraction of the time. Not doing it to impress anyone but merely for health reasons like you said and I honestly don't much care what anyone thinks so I surely don't need to fish for compliments. My kids and my husband noticed that I was exercising more of course, cause that's SO not like me at all but I didn't try to explain or justify anything, just did what I had to for my own reasons. At 78 pounds down and 37ish to go though, it's kind of impossible to keep it a secret anymore. People are noticing -- which is fine. Can't hide it forever and I'm not self conscious about it, just not camping on any need for outside affirmation or approval. Funny thing is, if I look at pictures from a year ago, sure I can see some difference...I know I've lost quite a bit and my clothes confirm it but people keep telling me I look totally different but I just don't see it. I'm still me....just skinnier ....I liked me before, I like me now and I'll like me after. It's just not that big of a deal to me except for addressing my health issue. I guess it's because looking like this is really nothing new to me....it's what I've always been in my mind and I've been here before -- for most of my life in fact. But they don't know that cause they never knew me when I was this size or smaller. So for me, it's just back to business as usual. For them, it's a radical change. But whatever.....they mean well and those that matter like me at any size so no biggie.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I told only my closest family and friends, and I feel like alerting those people helped me be accountable to myself. I knew there was no going back and I was doing it for myself this time, and that it was nobody's business except my best friend's and my family's. I am not planning to tell other people such as acquaintances. I think doing this also provides great motivation when someone you haven't seen for a long time comments on how different you look.