A bit of encouragement for those with lots to lose...

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
Today I saw someone post a question and she was right at the beginning of her (I know some people hate this word but I'm using it anyway) journey to get healthy. It can be really, really daunting, especially when you have such a long way to go.

Losing any amount of weight can be a challenge, but when you are morbidly obese, the task can seem insurmountable.

It isn't impossible, though. You CAN do it. I'm living proof of that.
If I can do it, anyone can.

All it takes is hard work, dedication, and patience.

Here's a sort of pictorial of my progress from the beginning (September 2010) until now.

From mid 2005 until September of 2010, I bounced around between 270-290 pounds, topping out at my heaviest at 294 pounds on my 5'10" frame.
I was a Size 24W in pants, XXL in shirts, and a 20-22W in dresses.
timeline1.jpg

Fall of 2010. The first 10-25 pounds were really not that noticeable.
I got down to around a 20-22 in pants and XL shirts, 18 in dresses
timeline2.jpg

Winter of 2010/2011 - it starts to become quite a bit more noticeable finally!
Size 18 in pants, Large (occasionally XL still) in shirts, Size 16-18 in dresses
timeline3.jpg

Spring of 2011 - I finally started to get some shape!
Size 16-18 in pants, Medium or Large in shirts, Size 12-14 dresses
timeline4.jpg

Summer of 2011 - ONEderland and I reached my original goal weight of 180 pounds!
Size 12-14 in pants, mostly Small in shirts with an occasional medium, and an 8 in dresses
timeline5.jpg

Happy to end the last couple of months of 2011 at (and beyond) my goal weight and size:
I was a Size 12 in pants and a S (occasionally XS) in shirts, a 6-8 in dresses
timeline6.jpg

The beginning of 2012 - past my goal weight and happy with my size, I decided to cut back on my cardio and start really working on strength training.
Down to a Size 10 in pants, everything else the same
timeline7.jpg

Thanks to a couple of months of the wonders of strength training:
Now a Size 6 (sometimes 8) in pants, S or XS in shirts, and a Size 4 in dresses
timeline10.jpg

So, from September of 2010 until now, I have done this:
24W pants to 6 pants, 56% body fat to 21(ish)% body fat. I topped out at close to 300 pounds, and now I sit somewhere around 155-160 pounds.
timeline11.jpg

Replies

• HEATHERMRLS25
    Options
    Awesome job. You look great
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This is why I love you so much Cory. You are amazing.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    freakin awesome Cory!
  • emilyk000
    emilyk000 Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow. Very inspirational! And congratulations! You look amazing!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thank you.

Eta: LOVE the backbend!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good job.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting! You look AMAZING and truly are an inspiration. Just today I was tempted to give up and start binging because I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, after a shower and at this point in time it just seems utterly IMPOSSIBLE for me to get my severely morbidly obese body, into ANY semblance of a shape. I have over 200lbs to lose on a 5'2" frame, I started my journey with MFP March 5th but my WL journey really began in July 2012 when I finally bit the bullet, bought a high capacity scale and weighed myself. Only to find I was living my worst nightmare of weighing over 500lbs. That much weight on my frame is very painful as I'm sure you can imagine. I've lost about 75lbs to date, 57 of those with MFP.

Sometimes knowing that I still have such a long way to go is daunting, and it's hard to not feel discouraged especially when I look at all the damage this weight has done physically (stretching the skin, belly etc.) to my body. I bookmarked your post and will refer to it any time I need to be inspired.

Congrats to you for your success! :wink:
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this! What an awesome transformation! This is so encouraging to me right now. Do you use NROLW? I'm doing Body Revolution right now but my goal is to start lifting once I'm done. Your arms and back are gorgeous!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post this! What an awesome transformation! This is so encouraging to me right now. Do you use NROLW? I'm doing Body Revolution right now but my goal is to start lifting once I'm done. Your arms and back are gorgeous!
    Thank you!

I don't use NROLW - to be honest I just do whatever I feel like doing (don't follow my lead please - most people will do much better if they have some sort of plan to follow - in fact, I probably would, too). I've also heard great things about Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength, but - as I said - I don't actually follow any of them.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Thanks for posting this :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    you look amazing, :)
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Nice work!! It's amazing how much different you look. Your smile says it all
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for posting this!
    i have lots to lose and i also really really want to be as fit as i can possibly be.
    you are proof that i can reach my goals - thanks for sharing your success!!
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love reading your story!! You look amazing!!:smile:
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! It seriously looks like you went back in time and got younger as the posts went along! Do you know if you're considered to have a "large frame" or small frame? I'm 5'10" as well, and when I told my doctor I wanted to hit about 155, he said that I would look too thin at that weight.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You look great... and I love the way you took us through how long it took and noted the fact that it wasn't noticeable at first. Good MFPer!

All the best as you continue your "journey"!
    Jen
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You are the most amazing person ever.
    This is absolutely admirable, and I'm sure it took so much work and so much commitment. You are definitely an inspiration to everyone, not just people with a lot to lose.

I don't even think I can say anything that you don't already know and are proud of. You look amazing :flowerforyou:
  • Vixen0113
    Vixen0113 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing..it gives me hope that one day I can look that good!! awesome work
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic just made me try to do a backbend. I should stretch more ;-p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!