What are the common mistakes made on veg/ vegan diet?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a long time and found that I relied too heavily on meat substitutions, while not eating enough veggies. Now as an omnivore, I do both. I feel much healthier. I think that you can eat clean, slow and healthy on any diet if those are the top priorities in your diet, which lead to healthier meal choices and overall health in general. Not saying I still don't eat processed foods (very little) or some meat substitutions (lower-cal) but overall try to cook more and more at home!
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I've been vegetarian for a year. It was a personal choice for health and environmental reasons, and I know it's not for everyone (if someone really craves meat, vegetarianism is probably not for them - I never do). I never really cared for meat, and I'm so glad I had MFP to track my nutrition when I first made that decision. I found that I rarely have a problem getting enough protein, but I do have to make a conscious effort to get enough iron. And I tend to eat too many processed foods (love those Morningstar veggie sausage biscuits for breakfast!), so my current focus is just trying to eat more real food. I know this style of eating is perfect for me. I love fruits, veggies, and nuts, and I've never felt better. Feel free to add me for support. Note to meat eaters: Eat what you want - I don't care! More meat for you, right? :D
  • Ashleyanne271
    Ashleyanne271 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great info on this thread!
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Really good info on here :D
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan 6 days a week and eat fish the other (this isn't a hard and fast thing, but it's how it works out). It's cheaper, I feel happier, and my digestion is better haha. It also really helps me deal with all the environmental stuff I've learned. Farms are mega-polluting, even small-scale ones, and growing the same number of calories of beef as grain takes more land, time, and water--all things we are rather short on on this planet much of the time. It's easier to support the local economy buying veggies than meat because farmer's market meat is ridiculously expensive. Plus I've always hated red meat, not cared either way for chicken, and am allergic to dairy. So that helps.

Im thinking about doing this^^^ Adding fish once a week or so. I've been eating a vegetarian diet for about a week now and I feel a TON better. Not as tired and my memory has improved. I have also found that I no longer binge eat because most of that occurred at Mcdonalds or fast food places with burgers and sandwiches. I havent really craved the fries since it was only to eat with the meat. Also after eating smaller portions of veggie protein and whole grains Im full fast and satisfied. Thank you to all the posters for the advice and to the OP for asking a great question <3
  • Flaco1960
    Flaco1960 Posts: 5
    Options
    why are you switching if I may ask?

and other can chime in too. Just wondering what are the reasons people switch. ( besides the obvious... OH THE POOR POOR AMINALS!! )

1) I find it disgusting to pretend they (the animals) can't feel anything....when I chew meat, the fact that it was a living being, that was capable of feeling fear, and pain, and wanted to live (just as I do) is always in my mind.

2) It's no longer necessary to eat meat, and our society has created a scenario where nearly half of the food grown in the world is grown to feed livestock, chickens, pigs, bulls, etc.

3) The amount of damage being done to our rivers here in the US is mind-boggling.

4) Plus: "Oh the poor animals", yes.

May I ask: Why AREN'T you switching?

Do a little research into the meat industry and you may come on over...Looking forward to your reply!
  • brhiannalee
    brhiannalee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    why are you switching if I may ask?

and other can chime in too. Just wondering what are the reasons people switch. ( besides the obvious... OH THE POOR POOR AMINALS!! )

1) I find it disgusting to pretend they (the animals) can't feel anything....when I chew meat, the fact that it was a living being, that was capable of feeling fear, and pain, and wanted to live (just as I do) is always in my mind.

2) It's no longer necessary to eat meat, and our society has created a scenario where nearly half of the food grown in the world is grown to feed livestock, chickens, pigs, bulls, etc.

3) The amount of damage being done to our rivers here in the US is mind-boggling.

4) Plus: "Oh the poor animals", yes.

May I ask: Why AREN'T you switching?

Do a little research into the meat industry and you may come on over...Looking forward to your reply!

Amen!!! :)

And also personally I felt it was an important step for me spiritually.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I definitely have struggled with the carb reliency that I developed as a long-time vegetarian. I've cut down the dairy significantly (although cheese is the reason I'm not a vegan!) but as previous posters have stated, eating meat-free doesn't always = healthy, you still need to look at content of processed food and/or skip it entirely. Fruits, veg & protein. I still need carbs or I'm a total B but cutting those back to a more, in my opinion, "acceptable level" will continue to be my goal ;) Good luck! Friend me if you want, it'd be nice to see what other vegetarians are eating and maybe I can improve my habits ^_^
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Getting enough protein. Too much exercise(not much if you aren't getting protein.)