ignorance about obesity on MFP

Options

Replies

• zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The word obese is misunderstood anyway. I was considered “obese” at 5’6 ½’’ 149 lbs because my body fat percentage was 33% (very little muscle). I was in a size 9 and considered obese! So someone overweight could have been technically more healthy then me as a healthy weight if they had a lower body fat %. BUT everyone judges, it’s human nature. I do agree that MFP isn’t the place to put anyone down because people are trying to better themselves on here.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So true. The ones with the biggest attitudes are people who have literally never had a weight problem. They're in shape now and attirbute it to their wonderful skills at life, eating, and being health concious. While that may be true for some, the majority of the ones with the attitude just have good genetics lol. Yes look at your wonderful muscles I"m sure you've spent hours in the gym, but did you have to shed layers and layers of fat with your body fighting you every ince of the way BEFORE you saw any results at all?
    Just have to stay focused on what you're goal is. I'm down 150 lbs and I was morbidly obese. I had some major issues that attributed to me getting to that point that were not me sitting on my *kitten* eating bon bons! And you're right if you weren't trying to better yourself why would you be here in the first place. You'll find people who want to tear ya down no matter where you go, but the good news is there are plenty here that wanna build you up!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Over the last week there have been several posts about how disgusting, lazy, undetermined, undedicated and basically good for nothing obese people are. First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy. Second of all you are posting on MFP and all of us reading your posts about how horrible we are, are on MFP because we have decided to make a difference in our health and weight. So I ask you, if you are so upset and disgusted by obese people not taking care of themselves, why don’t you post it on your facebook where your friends can see how worried you are about their obesity. MFP is a place of encouragement and support, whether its toning and maintain, losing 5 pounds or 100 pounds. Don’t you think self esteem issues had a lot to do with some of us getting this unhealthy? I am 108 pounds overweight and have been on track since the middle of January, down 16 pounds and over 5 inches and get enough dirty looks and am hard enough on myself without coming into the forums reading how YOU feel about ME or any other people struggling with weight when you havent walked a DAY in MY FAT SHOES!!!

Go by the old saying…if you have nothing nice to say….don’t say anything at all

YES YES YES!!! Even if we did eat ourselves silly to get to this "lowly state," at least we are trying!! Yes, I am classified as Super MORBIDLY OBESE....I have still lost 73+lbs. But I have done 5 5ks this year and one 10k. If you saw my wall today...I hit 310 days on MFP!! I'm a beast baby!! We'll get there....dont berate us!!

*disclaimer-I am yelling @ the same people that the OP is yelling at! ;)
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with this. No one is going To know what it's like to be big if only u ever been. I hate mean rude ppl.. I don't understand why ppl do that when we're On this site for the same reason get healthy and fit.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I think you are my new hero. Hit the nail on the head with that one.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    While I agree for the most part we as humans are flawed to the point we will judge a book by its cover. An obese person is judged to be lazy, slovenly, or whatever you want to call it. Because no one really knows the issue until you talk to that person. A skinny person is not stereotyped, because you judge the outside, until you find out that they have an eating disorder then you feel sorry for them. I can understand getting defensive against people voicing their stereotype of obese people, especially those who may have recently been obese themselves, but they are human and are free to think how they want. Just my opinion.

This is BS. Skinny people get bashed like CRAZY on here.

This is true. I think most people get bashed for not having the same ideas about weight loss and under eating more than anything. It's a different world in the forums. But like out there, if you don't agree with the majority then be prepared for a fight. lol
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bullying is everywhere...even on MFP. It's very sad. This should be a safe place for those who need help losing the weight we gained for whatever reasons...emotional, physical, life change, etc. We can't change what people say, but we can only listen to the people who obviously are here for the "right reasons"! Let's support one another in our situations whatever they are. Best of health to everyone on this journey to where we want our bodies to be, not where we came from! Do not read what the angry bullies write... they have their own issues. Congratulations to everyone in every success big or small...keep on keepin on!! :heart: :happy:
  • caviarblack
    caviarblack Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Over the last week there have been several posts about how disgusting, lazy, undetermined, undedicated and basically good for nothing obese people are. First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy. Second of all you are posting on MFP and all of us reading your posts about how horrible we are, are on MFP because we have decided to make a difference in our health and weight. So I ask you, if you are so upset and disgusted by obese people not taking care of themselves, why don’t you post it on your facebook where your friends can see how worried you are about their obesity. MFP is a place of encouragement and support, whether its toning and maintain, losing 5 pounds or 100 pounds. Don’t you think self esteem issues had a lot to do with some of us getting this unhealthy? I am 108 pounds overweight and have been on track since the middle of January, down 16 pounds and over 5 inches and get enough dirty looks and am hard enough on myself without coming into the forums reading how YOU feel about ME or any other people struggling with weight when you havent walked a DAY in MY FAT SHOES!!!

but this means that the people who are on MFP that are overweight and obese and are here trying... do NOT fit into the category of people who are obese or severely weight and dont give **** - its two different groups of people right?

Or am I wrong here?

people who dont care and indulge in gluttony and sloth vs people who were never happy with excess weight and are trying their damndest to change for the better?

To me these are completely different demographics.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Just remember....There are more of us then them!!! :bigsmile:

And we have the weight advantage! :laugh:
    LMAO :laugh:
    so it's ok for you to toss in the little side jokes about weight but not anyone else.......got it...... have fun in your hypocrisy \m/
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

People get obese bc of themselves, that's all. Anything is fixable. Including being overweight.
    absolutely, and we are here to fix it. bashing us while we are here trying is ignorant in every sense of the word. MIne was from a surgery that i had that followed the birth of my last child. There are medical reasons that the body can not fight the bulge. But we are here to change it, not to keep getting put down and called names like we are in high school. Why go out of your way to be mean to someone taking this huge step in making themselves better, or do you like kicking people when they are down
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @ Mackeric - OMG..really?? My step-dad, who has been overweight forever, works 10-12 hrs a day, is on a strict 1200 cal diet from his doctor and still cannot get his weight under control. He has diabetes and like many others it is a struggle. What you posted just shows me that you don't know a thing about people and their stories, nor do you care about what others go through. Makes me sad that people judge people for whatever reason, just sad.
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never have seen these types of posts and I'm on here like all day. Not to say you are lying, but I'd say its more the exception than the rule.

What I do see posted on here all the time is about "Real Women," implying women without curves, or thin women, are not "real women." That offends me. People should just be nice and supportive to ALL.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Often, hurting people hurt people. When I encounter this, I often wonder what pain folks are hiding by trying to make others miserable.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So true. The ones with the biggest attitudes are people who have literally never had a weight problem. They're in shape now and attirbute it to their wonderful skills at life, eating, and being health concious. While that may be true for some, the majority of the ones with the attitude just have good genetics lol. Yes look at your wonderful muscles I"m sure you've spent hours in the gym, but did you have to shed layers and layers of fat with your body fighting you every ince of the way BEFORE you saw any results at all?
    Just have to stay focused on what you're goal is. I'm down 150 lbs and I was morbidly obese. I had some major issues that attributed to me getting to that point that were not me sitting on my *kitten* eating bon bons! And you're right if you weren't trying to better yourself why would you be here in the first place. You'll find people who want to tear ya down no matter where you go, but the good news is there are plenty here that wanna build you up!
    I don't see why one achievement has to be bigger or better than the other... why not be happy for the ones who are working hard to stay fit, and supportive of everyone who is working hard to get there?
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    While I agree for the most part we as humans are flawed to the point we will judge a book by its cover. An obese person is judged to be lazy, slovenly, or whatever you want to call it. Because no one really knows the issue until you talk to that person. A skinny person is not stereotyped, because you judge the outside, until you find out that they have an eating disorder then you feel sorry for them. I can understand getting defensive against people voicing their stereotype of obese people, especially those who may have recently been obese themselves, but they are human and are free to think how they want. Just my opinion.

On the streets we expect to be judged but in a forum that is supposed to be about supporting a common goal (being healthy) it should never be done.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I actually got told that my 41 pound weight loss wasn't Kosher to post in success because I had been pregnant. ... I gained 67 pounds, and I needed to lose it.. the same way.. I understand that some people are here that have serious issues, health and whathave you but the only thing I saw was discrimination on me from people who said it didn't count.. or that I needed to recalculate how much I really lost ...it pissed me off.

Wow, I admire your sucess. Finding time to lose weight w a new baby take all sorts of determination. You are a success story. Forget the haters.
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Just remember....There are more of us then them!!! :bigsmile:

And we have the weight advantage! :laugh:
    LMAO :laugh:
    so it's ok for you to toss in the little side jokes about weight but not anyone else.......got it...... have fun in your hypocrisy \m/
    i didnt "toss" anything in first of all and this wasnt a mean spirited comment as those on the forums about people being disgusting. So instead of lashing out for lack of something intelligent to say, call it what it is, a joke...not calling anyone names
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    An obese person is judged to be lazy, slovenly, or whatever you want to call it. Because no one really knows the issue until you talk to that person. A skinny person is not stereotyped, because you judge the outside

*cough*
    *choke*
    *bullsht*
    *cough*