ignorance about obesity on MFP

Options

Replies

• 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Over the last week there have been several posts about how disgusting, lazy, undetermined, undedicated and basically good for nothing obese people are. First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy. Second of all you are posting on MFP and all of us reading your posts about how horrible we are, are on MFP because we have decided to make a difference in our health and weight. So I ask you, if you are so upset and disgusted by obese people not taking care of themselves, why don’t you post it on your facebook where your friends can see how worried you are about their obesity. MFP is a place of encouragement and support, whether its toning and maintain, losing 5 pounds or 100 pounds. Don’t you think self esteem issues had a lot to do with some of us getting this unhealthy? I am 108 pounds overweight and have been on track since the middle of January, down 16 pounds and over 5 inches and get enough dirty looks and am hard enough on myself without coming into the forums reading how YOU feel about ME or any other people struggling with weight when you havent walked a DAY in MY FAT SHOES!!!

Go by the old saying…if you have nothing nice to say….don’t say anything at all

Nice call out! It's just noise anyway. Keep going!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What this thread is is a great example of confirmation bias. The overweight crowd sees nothing but fat bashing everywhere. The slim crowd sees skinny bashing everywhere.

Both groups overlook it when it happens to the other. "Big girls" have no problem saying "Real women have curves." Skinny folk feel justified thinking overweight people are lazy and eat too much.

When both groups learn that it does no good to tear the other down it will stop. But that sure ain't gonna happen! So strap on a helmet and just work on you.

Wow...I am impressed. Your posts are very mature. Nice to see. :happy:

(and no, no sarcasm. it really is a nice thing to see)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Over the last week there have been several posts about how disgusting, lazy, undetermined, undedicated and basically good for nothing obese people are. First let me say that not all of us have gotten this way due to eating unhealthy. Second of all you are posting on MFP and all of us reading your posts about how horrible we are, are on MFP because we have decided to make a difference in our health and weight. So I ask you, if you are so upset and disgusted by obese people not taking care of themselves, why don’t you post it on your facebook where your friends can see how worried you are about their obesity. MFP is a place of encouragement and support, whether its toning and maintain, losing 5 pounds or 100 pounds. Don’t you think self esteem issues had a lot to do with some of us getting this unhealthy? I am 108 pounds overweight and have been on track since the middle of January, down 16 pounds and over 5 inches and get enough dirty looks and am hard enough on myself without coming into the forums reading how YOU feel about ME or any other people struggling with weight when you havent walked a DAY in MY FAT SHOES!!!

Go by the old saying…if you have nothing nice to say….don’t say anything at all

I agree with you 100%, my daughter is obese (and no it's not because she is lazy and don't eat healthy) she's 9 yrs old, her Dr said it sometimes has to do with genetics, she's just a big girl! .... And as a mother seeing her trying so hard to be healthy by not eating junk food and being active gives me PRIDE and I will NEVER GIVE UP on her!! When people talk bad about over-weight people, obese people I want to punch them because they are being jugdemental.... Not everyone eats badly and is lazy. My daughter is very active, we both are!!
    So I thank you for posting this! :flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    high_horse.jpg
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

People get obese bc of themselves, that's all. Anything is fixable. Including being overweight.

Please elaborate...
    I gained a ton of weight because I have a medical condition called PCOS. Unfortunately for me, it makes it much harder for me to lose the weight. I also gained weight when I was pregnant. I fail to see how a medical condition is "because of me". I'm not saying that I can't lose the weight or don't want to or that I have to have the fat sucked out or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's more difficult and that I'm more prone to gaining because of the condition.

PCOS didn't MAKE you gain weight. Calories did. I have PCOS as well. YES it is difficult to lose weight but in the end, our former lifestyles and eating habits made us fat. PERIOD. I cut back carbs, started exercising more and lost my first 25 lbs pretty quickly, then some more. It is possible.

No offense but I often feel people use medical conditions as a crutch or excuse. Too many CALORIES make you gain weight, nothing else.
    the point is THIS IS A FITNESS WEBSITE!!!! Everyone here is wanting a CHANGE in themselves, regardless of what brought us here, we are here and don't need to be put down for WHATEVER reason
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of pretentious, self-important jerks on these forums (as there are in real life) who get their amusement out of running people down because they're too fat, too skinny, too muscular, not muscular enough, have too many tattoos, do the wrong kinds of exercise, set the wrong goals, weigh themselves too often, don't weigh themselves often enough, or because they choose to eat meat, eat carbs, drink alcohol, drink coffee... whatever.

On the other hand, there are many more good, supportive people with positive attitudes who go out of their way to be encouraging or to offer constructive suggestions to those who ask for it.

I pretty much ignore the trolls - they're basically doing it because they're attention *kitten*, and I refuse to give them the satisfaction of knowing they got me riled up by engaging in flame wars with them. Having said that, I know these people are hard to ignore sometimes when they're engaging in personal attacks on you or your choices.

Overall, I find using MFP to be an overwhelmingly positive experience. I'm here mainly for the tools, but I do enjoy participating in the message boards. And I won't let the rude comments from the haters out there get me down, or diminish my resolve to achieve my goals.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

People get obese bc of themselves, that's all. Anything is fixable. Including being overweight.

Please elaborate...
    I gained a ton of weight because I have a medical condition called PCOS. Unfortunately for me, it makes it much harder for me to lose the weight. I also gained weight when I was pregnant. I fail to see how a medical condition is "because of me". I'm not saying that I can't lose the weight or don't want to or that I have to have the fat sucked out or anything like that. I'm just saying that it's more difficult and that I'm more prone to gaining because of the condition.

PCOS didn't MAKE you gain weight. Calories did. I have PCOS as well. YES it is difficult to lose weight but in the end, our former lifestyles and eating habits made us fat. PERIOD. I cut back carbs, started exercising more and lost my first 25 lbs pretty quickly, then some more. It is possible.

No offense but I often feel people use medical conditions as a crutch or excuse. Too many CALORIES make you gain weight, nothing else.
    the point is THIS IS A FITNESS WEBSITE!!!! Everyone here is wanting a CHANGE in themselves, regardless of what brought us here, we are here and don't need to be put down for WHATEVER reason

I absolutely agree with you. And I've been on here almost two years and I cannot tell you how many people I have seen use excuse after excuse to justify their weight, even thought they want a change, and then fail.

The first step to recovery is admitting. :happy:
  • Babygirl928
    Options

Ignorance?

Please elaborate...

I absolutely agree with you. And I've been on here almost two years and I cannot tell you how many people I have seen use excuse after excuse to justify their weight, even thought they want a change, and then fail.

The first step to recovery is admitting. :happy:
    Hi ...my name is babygirl and I am over weight :smile: *welcome babygirl* lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

Please elaborate...

I agree. I have had a child and I have PCOS. I gained weight when I was pregnant and didn't do anything about it. The PCOS has just been a hurdle to jump over in my weight loss, but truth be told it was eating crap and not exercising enough that kept me overweight, and when I was pregnant if I'd exercised and ate right instead of giving into every little craving, I wouldn't have gained 75 lbs. Yes, pregnancy and PCOS are contributing factors, but I got fat because of me, not because of those conditions.

In addition to PCOS, I HAD hypothryoidism (another big condition that gets blamed for weight gain). I have brought my thyroid levels to normal with diet and exercise alone and ZERO medication. When you have issues such as these that I've mentioned, it does make it more of a challenge, but ultimately my choices are to blame for the reason I got fat, and now my choices are the reason I'm losing weight :)

ETA: I hope nobody takes what I'm saying as "I think obese people are lazy" or whatever. I don't. I think it is VERY easy to get a diagnosis and say "well, I guess I'm just going to be fat because I have this." I know, I've been there. Going from 120 lbs pre-pregnancy to 195 lbs at 9 mos pregnant, then being diagnosed with PCOS a couple years later, I KNOW how it feels. We are ALL here for the same reason: to get healthy (with the exception of those on here promoting EDs). I think we should ALL hold ourselves accountable for the conditions we're in, regardless of whatever physical condition or emotional condition we've been in or are currently in, and support each other's goals 100% (as long as those goals are healthy).
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

Please elaborate...

I agree. I have had a child and I have PCOS. I gained weight when I was pregnant and didn't do anything about it. The PCOS has just been a hurdle to jump over in my weight loss, but truth be told it was eating crap and not exercising enough that kept me overweight, and when I was pregnant if I'd exercised and ate right instead of giving into every little craving, I wouldn't have gained 75 lbs. Yes, pregnancy and PCOS are contributing factors, but I got fat because of me, not because of those conditions.

In addition to PCOS, I HAD hypothryoidism (another big condition that gets blamed for weight gain). I have brought my thyroid levels to normal with diet and exercise alone and ZERO medication. When you have issues such as these that I've mentioned, it does make it more of a challenge, but ultimately my choices are to blame for the reason I got fat, and now my choices are the reason I'm losing weight :)

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Like this on so many levels! You read my mind!!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I agree sooo much with you. MFP are for support people and not break them down!!!! I have 20-30 lbs to lose and I do get discouraged some times.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Ignorance?

Please elaborate...

NO ONE is putting down the people that are making a change. They're putting down the ones who aren't.
  • Babygirl928
    Options

Ignorance?

Please elaborate...

NO ONE is putting down the people that are making a change. They're putting down the ones who aren't.
    they are when the very place they are posting it is only visible to those that are on here which means they are trying to change.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: You are my hero :love:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with Babygirl928 100%. This just isn't the place to put down people struggling with obesity, or God forbid, making food choices that are different than yours.
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: You are my hero :love:
    Just giving my opinion but if i got your point across in the process you are very welcome lol :smile:
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    I agree with Babygirl928 100%. This just isn't the place to put down people struggling with obesity, or God forbid, making food choices that are different than yours.
    I just hate seeing people being mean to one another. So much other negative input in this world, this should be our haven
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    eR'BODY JUS CRAY.
  • Babygirl928
    Options
    eR'BODY JUS CRAY.
    :laugh: :laugh: sho are
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    high_horse.jpg