Vegetarians and vegans. Controversial Topic

Options

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    GAH that lady has some nerve. I'm so sick of people trying to force their opinions down everyone else's throat.

This goes with EVERYTHING else. Politics, Race, Religion, Eating Habits, Lifestyle choices....the list goes on and on....

just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can dictate how someone else lives their life. Don't like it, don't engage in it. As long as it is causing no harm to you, then you can't have any say in it.

Ok, rant over.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    if you dont mind my input id like to say. that yes overall in America vegetarians may be healthier than most, but thats because a lot of Americans are over weight like me and made a choice not to combine the right meat and fruit?vegetables to make them healthy. you can be healthy and eat meat like yourself. i get that most vegetarians/vegans want to save animals. i was vegetarian for a few months, but i like meat. the real problem is the way they are killed. GOD put the animals on earth to eat. if we could just treat the animals better and not torture them to death then there would probably be less vegetarians. just saying! :)
    P.Speople dont realize that you shouldnt it to much meat. skip out like twice a week on meat. Dr oz says you shouldnt eat animal with for legs more then 3-5 days a week.
    Uh. Animals are humanely killed, they are not "tortured to death". I have been to slaughterhouses and have seen it firsthand.
    I take exception, too, to your claim that animals were put here by God for us to eat.
    We are animals. We love to imagine that we're special, but I think that's bull****. We are no different and have evolved in the same way as anything else.

If you really believe what happens to these animals before & during their death isn't considered torture I encouraged you to watch some of the undercover slaughterhouse videos, egg hatchery videos, dairy cow videos... That is cruel, inhumane disgusting torture, I couldn't care less if others eat meat but you cannot honestly think what happens to these poor creatures is 'okay'.

They don't torture animals to death nor do they before and after. Sometimes even those videos are false. Also they might catch a person who has done something wrong and they try to highlight it as in 'all' but that doesn't mean all farms are like that. Just like any profession you'll always have someone who is cruel and that is what needs to be weeded out but farms in general do not torture the animals because 1) its cruel, 2) its counter productive to the product (if you actually knew anything about these animals, the individual species, you would understand why). If a man beats his wife does that make all men evil? When a teacher abuses a child are all teachers bad and we must put a stop to having schools and teachers? What about a pet owner who abused his/her dog? Does that mean all owners are bad?

In essence I pretty much agree with this. In most cases the worst of the worst is brought to the forefront in the media to raise awareness, shock, or create dialogue in regards to the toture of animals in slaughter houses and or farms. It is not right, It shouldnt be going on and these people should be charged.

There are many ethical farmers/businesses out there who do not toture the animals. They are still seen as income and not pets. They are well fed, vetted, and provided with shelter. They don't frolic in the fields with bows on their tails.
    Having been raised in a family of butchers, my father having owned a slaughter house for a while....I can honestly say that it was common practice (for us) when an animal came in bruised and hurt. It would be returned, business with them would be cut off and the Gov notified. Bruised animals = bruised meats that can not be sold whole.

Being in Ontario, rules are slighlty different. In the processing of animals (killing) we must have an Inpector on site, to supervise, check for ilness and take samples. No killing can be done without one present. This also limits the mistreatment of animals in the process.

In anycase, that woman was rude to push her views on you. We are free to choose the diet we wish, without having to explain ourselves to others.

As for vegetarians being sticks....my BF has been one since childhood.....He's 6'3 and 280lbs....
    And I love bacon.......:)

Also in response to this.... how is the killing of animals humane in itself? It is humane merely by the dictation of human society. How would you feel about a slaughter house of puppies or kittens or even adult cats or dogs? Would you still feel that it is humane? Who actually gets to decide if animals are as disposable as humans make them out to be? We are built to live as omnivores. We can survive on an all plant diet, and meat is NOT essential to it. We eat meat as a luxury. Because it "tastes" good or enhances our athletic ability. But is there any part of meat consumption that is actually a necessity? That there are nutrients we cannot get anywhere else?

To speak of the humane and compassionate murder of animals (which if not for food I assume most people wouldnt agree with), is almost like talking about compassionate racism. It's an oxymoron. It doesnt matter how "humane" you believe these places to be. Murder is murder. And the murder of animals for OUR benefit.

Seems pretty hypocritical and selfish to me.
    Hey, you didn't read the sign. No existentialism allowed. :P
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    if you dont mind my input id like to say. that yes overall in America vegetarians may be healthier than most, but thats because a lot of Americans are over weight like me and made a choice not to combine the right meat and fruit?vegetables to make them healthy. you can be healthy and eat meat like yourself. i get that most vegetarians/vegans want to save animals. i was vegetarian for a few months, but i like meat. the real problem is the way they are killed. GOD put the animals on earth to eat. if we could just treat the animals better and not torture them to death then there would probably be less vegetarians. just saying! :)
    P.Speople dont realize that you shouldnt it to much meat. skip out like twice a week on meat. Dr oz says you shouldnt eat animal with for legs more then 3-5 days a week.
    Uh. Animals are humanely killed, they are not "tortured to death". I have been to slaughterhouses and have seen it firsthand.
    I take exception, too, to your claim that animals were put here by God for us to eat.
    We are animals. We love to imagine that we're special, but I think that's bull****. We are no different and have evolved in the same way as anything else.

If you really believe what happens to these animals before & during their death isn't considered torture I encouraged you to watch some of the undercover slaughterhouse videos, egg hatchery videos, dairy cow videos... That is cruel, inhumane disgusting torture, I couldn't care less if others eat meat but you cannot honestly think what happens to these poor creatures is 'okay'.

They don't torture animals to death nor do they before and after. Sometimes even those videos are false. Also they might catch a person who has done something wrong and they try to highlight it as in 'all' but that doesn't mean all farms are like that. Just like any profession you'll always have someone who is cruel and that is what needs to be weeded out but farms in general do not torture the animals because 1) its cruel, 2) its counter productive to the product (if you actually knew anything about these animals, the individual species, you would understand why). If a man beats his wife does that make all men evil? When a teacher abuses a child are all teachers bad and we must put a stop to having schools and teachers? What about a pet owner who abused his/her dog? Does that mean all owners are bad?

In essence I pretty much agree with this. In most cases the worst of the worst is brought to the forefront in the media to raise awareness, shock, or create dialogue in regards to the toture of animals in slaughter houses and or farms. It is not right, It shouldnt be going on and these people should be charged.

There are many ethical farmers/businesses out there who do not toture the animals. They are still seen as income and not pets. They are well fed, vetted, and provided with shelter. They don't frolic in the fields with bows on their tails.
    Having been raised in a family of butchers, my father having owned a slaughter house for a while....I can honestly say that it was common practice (for us) when an animal came in bruised and hurt. It would be returned, business with them would be cut off and the Gov notified. Bruised animals = bruised meats that can not be sold whole.

Being in Ontario, rules are slighlty different. In the processing of animals (killing) we must have an Inpector on site, to supervise, check for ilness and take samples. No killing can be done without one present. This also limits the mistreatment of animals in the process.

In anycase, that woman was rude to push her views on you. We are free to choose the diet we wish, without having to explain ourselves to others.

As for vegetarians being sticks....my BF has been one since childhood.....He's 6'3 and 280lbs....

Also in response to this.... how is the killing of animals humane in itself? It is humane merely by the dictation of human society. How would you feel about a slaughter house of puppies or kittens or even adult cats or dogs? Would you still feel that it is humane? Who actually gets to decide if animals are as disposable as humans make them out to be? We are built to live as omnivores. We can survive on an all plant diet, and meat is NOT essential to it. We eat meat as a luxury. Because it "tastes" good or enhances our athletic ability. But is there any part of meat consumption that is actually a necessity? That there are nutrients we cannot get anywhere else?

To speak of the humane and compassionate murder of animals (which if not for food I assume most people wouldnt agree with), is almost like talking about compassionate racism. It's an oxymoron. It doesnt matter how "humane" you believe these places to be. Murder is murder. And the murder of animals for OUR benefit.

We get to decide and sadly many kittens and puppies are killed everyday, humanely. Livestock has been bred and raised as our food source and cats and dogs have become pets overtime because of their usefulness and relationship with us.
  • AuntThelma
    AuntThelma Posts: 4,501 Member
    Options
    Today, after I left the gym I stopped at Jimmy Johns to get a snack. I ordered a #1 which is Applewood Smoked Ham and provolone cheese garnished with lettuce, tomato, and mayo. I sat down minding my own business enjoying my snack. Like a the normal American Male that I am, I take really big bites of my food. Of course their might be a string of lettuce hanging from my mouth or drops back onto tray. Well while doing this I'm approached by a very bitter lady.

"That is so gross" was the first words out of her mouth. At first I was going to say something like "get off my nuts if you don't like the way I eat" but before I could say anything she wasn't talking about the way I eat food. She was referring to my meaty sandwhich. She says to me, "How can you eat that stuff, its disgusting, unhealthy, and just plain wrong. People kill animals for you to eat, god didn't put us on this planet to kill everything" (that wasn't word for word but its the same damn gibberish she was spouting at me)

Being a educated fellow I smiled real big and just knew this was going down right then and there.

My response "What makes you think that this is unhealthy? Because its high in calories? My food is cooked to kill the germs that might be harmful to me. As far as taste goes I believe its very good and I might just get another."

"I'm a vegetarian and vegetarians are just more fit and healthier than those who are not" she said.

Again I smile real big "Lady I'm 5'4" 160lbs, I can run 2 miles in under 13 minutes and at that pace I can maintain a heart rate of 150bpm and a dead rest heart rate of 52bpm. My blood pressure is 116/75. I can benchpress 205lbs. I go to the gym 4 days out of the week. I eat all the nutrients my body needs. Without sacrificing my size. If I were like you and eat only veggies I would be a puny twig that can be pushed over by a strong wind. I like my chances of being healthy without being a vegetarian. I like having protein in my body, it allows me to do hard labor work without being strained, and if I am strained I can recover very quickly. If I were you I'd start eating meat so you can be healthier than you are now"

Baffled and stunned this lady was forced into retreat.

wait.... you eat mayonaise? ewwwww. j/k. what a lunatic. People are not supposed to tell other people what to do.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Hey, you didn't read the sign. No existentialism allowed. :P

Hahahaha. *Paints a picture of The Scream on the monitor*
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    That was a very silly thing for the woman to say! The human body is designed to be an omnivore. Vegetarians are often subject to nutritional deficiencies due to an unbalanced diet. All that being said.... I am a vegetarian because I cannot imagine MYSELF eating an animal. But I would never push my own beliefs on someone else.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't think this event actually happened. It was just meant to create a lengthy post.

Personally, if I were an animal I would want to be slaughtered in a slaughterhouse. Nature's alternative is much, much worse.
  • charcharbec
    Options

We get to decide and sadly many kittens and puppies are killed everyday, humanely. Livestock has been bred and raised as our food source and cats and dogs have become pets overtime because of their usefulness and relationship with us.

Again... how is the murder of animals humane? Every time I turn around I hear about people putting their loved ones on life support just to keep them alive. Yet if the same were to happen to an animal this doesnt happen. They are "put down." Of course it is to "end suffering" but what about the animals that ARE killed in the shelters through injections. How is that humane? Just because they don't seem to fit into our society because they are in abundance does not mean that it is HUMANE to kill. If you truly believe it is humane, please tell me how this is true? Because they don't feel it? It's a lost life. Just because we cannot feel or understand the thought and emotions of other species does not mean they don't exist. Again.... I am not saying the choice to eat meat is good or bad for you. Just criticizing the idea that there are "humane" ways to kill. Murder is murder. The end.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    OP the lady was wrong to approach you and gives everybody else that is vegan and vegetarian a bad name most of us could care less what you eat, with that said I think you need to educate yourself on what being a vegan or vegetarian is all about and the proven health benefits of a vegan or vegetarian diet before you assume things that are not true because you have not taken the time to seek the knowledge, so you just make assumptions instead. You can be extremely healthy being a vegan, vegetarian or an omnivore. one diet is not better than the other. All allow you the nutrients you need.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Again... how is the murder of animals humane? Every time I turn around I hear about people putting their loved ones on life support just to keep them alive. Yet if the same were to happen to an animal this doesnt happen. They are "put down." Of course it is to "end suffering" but what about the animals that ARE killed in the shelters through injections. How is that humane? Just because they don't seem to fit into our society because they are in abundance does not mean that it is HUMANE to kill. If you truly believe it is humane, please tell me how this is true? Because they don't feel it? It's a lost life. Just because we cannot feel or understand the thought and emotions of other species does not mean they don't exist. Again.... I am not saying the choice to eat meat is good or bad for you. Just criticizing the idea that there are "humane" ways to kill. Murder is murder. The end.

Since you don't find it humane how about you go and fund all these shelters with the resources to keep the dogs and cats alive, do the same with dogs and cats you believe should be on life support. Go pay for it since you believe its wrong and yes there are humane ways to kill. An animal dieing in horrible pain is alot different from one who does not know when its life has ended.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    this woman was so rude! i don't like meat because i don't know how the animals are treated in certain places before they're killed. it is my personal choice, and i don't care if anyone else eats meat! respect my choice, and i will respect yours.....
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    That lady was way out of line, but it sounds like you both offered up your fair share of ignorance. :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hmm, maybe she secretly WANTED that yummy looking sandwich... LOL
  • charcharbec
    Options

Since you don't find it humane how about you go and fund all these shelters with the resources to keep the dogs and cats alive, do the same with dogs and cats you believe should be on life support. Go pay for it since you believe its wrong and yes there are humane ways to kill. An animal dieing in horrible pain is alot different from one who does not know when its life has ended.

ORRRRR... instead of spending the money on euthanizing animals... we put the money into finding them homes and making spay/neuter programs more cost effective? I am not saying they should be on life support.

Clearly you don't understand my argument. My argument is simply that we would spend millions of dollars to keep someone who is brain dead alive just because we are so emotionally attached that we dont want to lose them, and it is super easy to just pull the plug on an animal. Humans seem to think that we are all great and powerful in regards to other species. That the earth was created solely for us. That animals are here for our entertainment, companionship, and consumption. We regulate what is too many animals on the planet, and what is not enough. Who gives us the permission to do that? Just---ourselves... sounds like a dictatorship almost....
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my ENTIRE life, and doing so has kept me ALIVE for 27 years! Had I ever eaten meat, the toxins would have built up in my blood and it could have resulted in severe neurological damage, or even death.

I refuse to feel bad simply because the OP is on a personal crusade against vegetarians. I don't like threads that pick on others lifestyles, or their reasons behind them.

Holy **** I have 5 years to live.

I am one of the FEW with my medical condition to make it to their 20s. Most before me didn't make it through childhood. 1 in 200,000 people are born with it, and everything that I stated is true - had I not followed the dietary guideline I stated (a strict VEGETARIAN, low protein diet....5-7 each day grams when I was a child, and 30 grams a day as an adult) I would have stopped existing long ago.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Ok, so what would be the 'humane' way to kill something? Let's look at how mr. Ophiocordyceps unilateralis does it. He attacks the brain of an ant, taking control of it like a zombie, forces it to climb up a plant and bite down into the main vein of a leaf before it dies, then a nice big stalk grows out of its brain. You know what? I think I'll take the slaughter house instead.
  • charcharbec
    Options
    Ok, so what would be the 'humane' way to kill something? Let's look at how mr. Ophiocordyceps unilateralis does it. He attacks the brain of an ant, taking control of it like a zombie, forces it to climb up a plant and bite down into the main vein of a leaf before it dies, then a nice big stalk grows out of its brain. You know what? I think I'll take the slaughter house instead.

Exactly. There is NO humane way in my opinion. :) Hence why I don't eat meat. Again, I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But that is exactly my point. Murder in general is not humane even if you throw the word humane in front of it.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Again... how is the murder of animals humane?

Speaking as a vegetarian for the majority of my life, I understand what you mean, but I see it differently. It may be in how you define "humane". I believe that humans are predators that are designed to hunt and kill animals. I do not see that in itself (killing) as inhumane. But the way we raise animals for our consumption is, in the vast majority of cases, inhumane to me. That's why I don't eat meat.
  • Amanda_Rae_Rae
    Options
    They don't eat us so why should we eat them?

....yes they do. They might not farm us like we do them, but they do eat us occasionally.
    lol this is true!
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

^^ like this^^

This issue will be debated for years to come.
    Perhaps it is the influence of being raised in a family such as mine. But I do believe there is a difference between choosing to eat meat that has been hunted or processed in an ethical way and finding an animal and bashing its head in until it dies,
    Are we killing the animal in both these instances? yes. Is one way more "humane" I say yes. but this too could be debated.

I am a dog owner and love him a lot. If he were sick, suffering and there was nothing to do but to wait til he passed. I would choose to have him put to sleep. I am not in support of animals suffering needlessly.
    If a loved one had to go one life support "just to keep them alive" for my own selfish needs...I would choose to pull the plug. This is not murder, it's an ethical choice.

I also believe some animals are raised for food and others for work and or pets.

We all have our beliefs, One is no more right than the other.