What is "iifting heavy"?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Question for trainers/experienced lifters:

Can you lose fat and get toned doing something like Strong Lifts and eating at a small deficit (like TDEE -100 cals)??

Thanks!

Absofreakinlutely. Though most of us cringe at the word 'toned' lol. Also, most of us go off of a percentage of TDEE, usually either 15% or 20%. Any deficit will work though (assuming you have an accurate number for TDEE)...the larger ones just take more margin of error into consideration.

Totally agree. You would lose fat and develop your muscles by eatiing at maintenance and doing Stronglifts. Even more at a deficit. The beauty of this program also is that you will not build any bulk. You couldn't as a woman at maintenance or in deficit anyway but you lose fat and get stronger not bigger with heavy lifting!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!! (I hesitated to use 'toned' too :laugh: ) does gain lean muscle work better?? :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!! (I hesitated to use 'toned' too :laugh: ) does gain lean muscle work better?? :wink:

Yup! :laugh: When hear "toned", all I can think of is the older ladies Trim & Tone class at my gym!! :laugh: :tongue:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. Thanks to all the trainers for sharing your knowledge!!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    When you make the "ugly" face while lifting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Does it count if you make the same faces you make during sex? Oh, and the same noises too.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    IF you are just starting, you shouldn't lift heavy (heavy being weight that you can't do more than 6 times). First 2-3 months should be all about mastering proper form. It is critical to lifting heavy, because with bad form, you will hurt yourself.
  • LisaManySongs
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Totally this!!!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    When you make the "ugly" face while lifting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

dxeo2o.jpg

Can you tell it's the last rep?

Nope. You still got teeth left ;)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    What is a rep? Is it doing one deadlift or 10 deadlifts in a row?
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What is a rep? Is it doing one deadlift or 10 deadlifts in a row?

One deadlift...10 in a row is one set of ten repetitions.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Rep 1 - Okay, easy enough
    Rep 2 - This is actually pretty heavy
    Rep 3 - Wow, I can feel it
    Rep 4 - Puuuuuuushh!
    Rep 5 - NRGNRGANNAGNNHH!!

LMAO! ^ THIS!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good info here. I just want to add to Make sure that you have good form. If it is to much weight to really do it right you are wasting valuable time and putting yourself at risk for injury. Exp. If you are doing rows be sure that you are pulling all the way back to your chest and you feel the pull between your shoulders. If you are just using your arms you are doing it wrong. If you can't stay in good posture and the weight is pulling you forward, it is to much weight.

I pulled muscles in my lower back and it set me back about 8 weeks of good hard workouts. I would see a chiropractor on monday, workout on tuesday, then see a chiropractor again on wednesday and so on. I had to stay clear of anything that put pressure on my lower back and I was in pain almost anytime I sat, stood, or moved. It worked in healing the muscles but was crazy expensive. So avoid that LOL by using good form.
  • kazzari
    Options
    The book Starting Strength, recommended earlier, gives very detailed instructions on proper lifting techniques, including side by side photos of specific things not to do and how to correct it. If you want to walk into the gym confident you really know how to squat or deadlift safely, this book is ideal. It is called Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is great info.
    Any lifting tips for a guy with a surgically repaired, but permanently damaged lower back?
    I'm just getting started, but did some lifting ~20 years ago
    I have a bowflex and an elliptical to work with.
    I can do most things with all the bows on at least 10 reps (its old)
    Goal would be strength.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to hear what other people were lifting. Like exact numbers.

I started out limited by our weights at home. My max on anything was no more than 50 lbs. So I'd bench 50 lbs, squat and deadlift 50 lbs. I'd do 20 lbs rows and i'd do overhead presses at 10 lbs each arm. I was doing 3 sets of 12.

So I join a gym and start upping my weights. Again, for two solid months I'm doing 3x12 of squats, bench press, deadlift, row, and overhead press. Slowly upping my weights.

Than a bit ago, I met a personal trainer who helped me figure out my one rep max weight (which I would never do since I'm lifting alone):

(weight x reps x 0.0333) + weight = One rep max
    He said do 3 sets of 5 at 50% of my one rep max, followed by 3 sets of 5 at 80% max.

Doing this, the amount of weight I recognize I can do jumped significantly. Now I'm upping those numbers.

I'm 124 lb female, and this is what I'm currently doing 3 sets of 5 of:

squats- 150
    dead lift- 125
    bench press- 85
    barbell OHP- 55
    barbell row- 75

I figure it's heavy if it is something I've never done before!!!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    IF you are just starting, you shouldn't lift heavy (heavy being weight that you can't do more than 6 times). First 2-3 months should be all about mastering proper form. It is critical to lifting heavy, because with bad form, you will hurt yourself.

I second this. My first two months I was upping weights, but i was also obsessing over form. I would up my weights by 5 lbs a week, unless it was already too heavy. And I'd research form, have someone video tape you doing your lifts so you can critique and compare your form to what you see you should be doing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sort of not accurate advice here. I stay in the range of 8-10 reps. If I hit more than 10, I add weight. It's simple. You want the last 2 or 3 to be really difficult without compromising your form at all. No swinging around and flailing and twisting, and NO HOLDING YOUR BREATH. Lift until it hurts, then do 2 or 3 more. If you don't push, you'll never gets results. You want to feel the burn and work through it.

What's not accurate about the posts? Just curious.

You do have a good addition here re keeping form and the breathing.

Everyone saying 5 or 6. You can lift heavy and hit 8 to 10. Seems a little like bro-science when we start talking about lifting heavy. Maybe it's just people make matter-of-fact comments, and I know for a fact, they aren't true. LOL. So, whateves. Just trying to keep it real and stay away from the bro stuff. You can lift heavy and do 15 reps. The idea is the the last couple hurt bad.

But, typically, I see ladies using 5lbs because they don't want to "bulk up" and do 10 curls with them. LOL. My 7-year old daughter can do that. Ha!

Ummm...my response is what I specifically learned from NSCA's text while studying for my certification. I am looking at a Table in NSCA's Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, the text used for the CSCS cert. It reads as follows:

Training Goal:
    Strength -
    Load: >=85% 1RM Goal Repetitions: <=6

Hypertrophy -
    Load: 75-85% 1RM Goal Reps 6-12

Muscular endurance-
    Load: <=67% 1RM Goal reps >=12

Yes, you can gain some strength working in the hypertrophy range, but the above is the actual textbook recommendation for strength, hypertrophy, or muscular endurance goals. If that isn't accurate, I don't know where else to look.

Thanks - that is why I asked the question originally. Nothing 'broscience' about 5 -6 reps.
  • Jeanne143
    Jeanne143 Posts: 11
    Options
    What is the purpose of lifting heavy? A few years ago I was lifting heavier weights. I injured my shoulder. Physical therapist said I don't need to lift more than 3 to 5 lb. weights. My doctor also said I shouldn't use more than 5 lb. weights.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused. I'm looking to build muscle. How many reps should yo shoot for to build muscle?
  • kazzari
    Options
    What is the purpose of lifting heavy? A few years ago I was lifting heavier weights. I injured my shoulder. Physical therapist said I don't need to lift more than 3 to 5 lb. weights. My doctor also said I shouldn't use more than 5 lb. weights.

That is really bizarre that a doctor or PT would say that. Reasons to strength train...maintain ability to carry on activities of daily living into old age, the stress of the load strengthens bones. Weighted back squats are the best exercise for strengthening hip bones...and we know how devastating a broken hip can be. Lowering bad cholesterol and raising good cholesterol...lifting heavy has a dramatic impact on lipid levels. You won't get any benefit from picking up 5 lb. Weights, your groceries way far more than that.

I work for a medical group and our physicians are big advocates of lifting heavy for all patients. I've been helping out a friend who is also a coworker and the doctors congrtulated her on her recent lipid panel and told to keep lifting.

Re injuries...they can be avoided if you build gradually in the beginning, and find someone who can check your form.