What is "iifting heavy"?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    3 reps on your own, 4th and 5th rep might be forced reps.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused. I'm looking to build muscle. How many reps should yo shoot for to build muscle?

If you're looking for a bodybuilder or figure competitors physique, looking for visible muscle development, you would stay in the moderate range of 8-12 reps. You also would probably want to do a upper body / lower body split doing more total volume. So, if you normally do a total of six exercises doing a full body workout you would instead perhaps do six different lower body exercises one day and upper body the next day. That is an example, there is more to it and more ways to do it. Lifting for strength will give you a more athletic, defined look rather than a more artificial sculpted bodybuilder look. In theory.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here - saving for later
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy: picking up heavy things....putting them down.... repeat

Basically you want to make sure you are using a high enough weight that you struggle through the last rep or two.... eventually you stop struggling... and you increase.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Basically you want to make sure you are using a high enough weight that you struggle through the last rep or two.... eventually you stop struggling... and you increase.

The number of reps is important. I mean, if I pick up 20lbs enough times, I'm eventually going to struggle. I know that's probably what you meant...but a lot of people believe these high rep/lower weight programs are strength training, and they aren't.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

The number of reps is important. I mean, if I pick up 20lbs enough times, I'm eventually going to struggle. I know that's probably what you meant...but a lot of people believe these high rep/lower weight programs are strength training, and they aren't.

No. They're toning. Don't wanna get bulky ya know?!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    What is a rep? Is it doing one deadlift or 10 deadlifts in a row?

One deadlift...10 in a row is one set of ten repetitions.

Thank you!!!--Thank you so much!!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I want to get my husband lifting again, but he had shoulder reconstruction 2.5 years ago and now has very limited range of motion. The lifting will help him maintain bone density so no more injuries like that in the future, but for now he's limited to resistance bands.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The book Starting Strength, recommended earlier, gives very detailed instructions on proper lifting techniques, including side by side photos of specific things not to do and how to correct it. If you want to walk into the gym confident you really know how to squat or deadlift safely, this book is ideal. It is called Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe & Lon Kilgore.

There are also great videos on youtube by Rippletoe as well as videos on the Stronglifts site that demonstrated form. That ans using the mirror at the gym to check myself did it for me with no additional help.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I want to get my husband lifting again, but he had shoulder reconstruction 2.5 years ago and now has very limited range of motion. The lifting will help him maintain bone density so no more injuries like that in the future, but for now he's limited to resistance bands.

Yeah, it is tough with injuries. My bf used to lift pretty seriously when he was younger, but a few car accidents that messed up his back and a shoulder injury have severely limited what he can do. He does what he can, even teaches karate with a back that hurts him 24 hours a day. It sucks. I am so careful in the gym because I do not want to deal with injuries.

That said, I did have an accident in the gym that could have really messed up my back in 2007. I was doing step ups with a 75 lb. fixed weight barbell on my back. I had done this many times, and I think I was just wearing the wrong shoes. I lost my footing as I was stepping back and fell on my butt with the bb on my shoulders. The next thing I knew, I lay writhing on the floor cursing myself waiting for the ambulance. The embarrassing part was that I was working out in between clients and other staff members had to tell my next client what happened. Anyway, I ended up with a compression factor in my T-12 vertebra.I was back at work in 3 days, back working out in 2 weeks and have had no residual pains, muscular or otherwise. I was lucky. So...be very, very careful. If I do step ups with a bb...I do them in the power rack with safety bars set high!
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I would also add that anyone who wants to learn how to lift heavy should just log off MFP, go to Amazon, and buy "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

There endeth the lesson.

This is a great suggestion. It does require a bit of patience because Rippetoe is long-winded. But wading through the book will definitely increase your understanding of correct technique and the reasons why the lifts are done the way they are done.

I really like the Stronglifts 5X5 program. Since you are starting out, you should give it a look. Doing this, while reading "Starting Strength" is a good combination.

Finally, don't focus too much on things like 1 rep max. What is important is maintaining form as the weight is increased. Don't even bother to compare your barbell back squat where you go below parallel with the guy next to you doing double the weight on a Smith machine and only doing half squats. 100 lb back squats with a barbell are probably equivalent to 150 lbs half squats in a Smith.

Good luck if you take up "heavy lifting". It is good fun and can be personally very satisfying.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of lifting heavy? A few years ago I was lifting heavier weights. I injured my shoulder. Physical therapist said I don't need to lift more than 3 to 5 lb. weights. My doctor also said I shouldn't use more than 5 lb. weights.

Doctors are, unfortunately, not experts in fitness nor nutrition. Perhaps it makes sense to lift only 5 lb weights for the healing process of your injury....but if you want to build strength, you need more than 5 lbs.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You all are giving great advice!

1. I'm training for a half marathon... so I'm planning on not strength training my legs. I only want to work my upper body. (I dont' want to get hurt, basically.) Is that okay? Or a total wimp-out?

2. How often should do this "max-out" strength training? Every other day? 4 times per week?

3. I will do set of 8 maxed out reps. But just one set, right? Then move on to the next muscle group? Seems like a quick workout! Yippee! I'm in!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    You all are giving great advice!

1. I'm training for a half marathon... so I'm planning on not strength training my legs. I only want to work my upper body. (I dont' want to get hurt, basically.) Is that okay? Or a total wimp-out?

2. How often should do this "max-out" strength training? Every other day? 4 times per week?

3. I will do set of 8 maxed out reps. But just one set, right? Then move on to the next muscle group? Seems like a quick workout! Yippee! I'm in!

1. Working your legs shouldn't hurt you when training for a half marathon...that I know of.

2. Most people recommend 3x a week, on non consecutive days...such as Mon/Wed/Fri

3. 8reps with only 1 set wouldn't be effective. I would suggest either 6-8 reps by 3 sets, or 5 reps by 5 sets. For myself, I do the 5x5. The heavier weight allowed by the shorter reps, in my experience...gives better results!