Being called " fat" by another " fatty"

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the gordita!

OP I know you're just ranting, but unless someone means a comment as an insult, don't take it that way. People make observations and blurt things out without understanding the implications of their word choices all the time. Its impossible to know what will be insulting to another person. You happen to be okay with "larger woman" but not fat to describe the same exact thing. Someone else in the world might have life experiences to make "larger woman" an insulting phrase. The gordita comment is a perfect example of this- people with different cultures an non-native english speakers may have totally different interpretations of words. Its never, ever going to change no matter how much it annoys you.

Of course I understand that.. i guess I didn't take that much into consideration.. I know it wont change, only thing that can change is me so, that's why I am even on MFP to begin with.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Being called "heavy", "sturdy", "Stocky", "Pleasantly plump", are all "nicer" ways to say that someone is fat. Let's face it if you are too short for your weight, you are fat. No one likes it. I didn't like it. It took me forever but I finally addressed the problem. But misery does love company. No one wants to be the only "fat one" in the group. I used to be teased about my big butt. After losing 70 pounds I am no longer fat with a "big butt". I am now referred to as "tiny", "so small", "skinny", "look like a model" and guess what? The power is yours! If you don't like being described as one of the "fat" names you do have the power to change that, and you ARE changing that by being here, coming up with a plan, and following through. YOU can change that today. Everyday that you follow through is one day closer to NOT being "fat". That is why we are here, and that is part of why we all do it. Best of luck to you!
    Susan
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Just for the record I am NOT calling anyone fat. I'm not the bullying type so, sorry for the misunderstanding.

The record already states that you did call someone fat. It's the title of your thread. No misunderstanding on this end.
  • fromfattofine
    fromfattofine Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately yes by both male and female (brother and sister) who were both bigger than me.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Got into an argument with somebody. While I'm a "live and let live" kinda person, if somebody pisses me off then my tongue has no leash.

The person said to his buddies pointing towards me in the middle of the argument "This fatass is pissing me off now" to which my reply was "B1tch please, you so fat your momma couldn't even find your d1ck when she was trying to suck it".
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Years ago, but a HUGE old Italian lady who worked in a bridal shop (I was being fitted for a hideous bridesmaid dress).

Looking back at pictures, it hurt my feelings, but it wasn't a lie!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just for the record I am NOT calling anyone fat. I'm not the bullying type so, sorry for the misunderstanding.

The record already states that you did call someone fat. It's the title of your thread. No misunderstanding on this end.

Thread names bad, but it wasn't with intent of name calling. That's not something I do. For the title, yeah my fault.. and I can take the heat for that. But I don't go around bashing people.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The other day at a birthday party I was out of the room when they opened the ice cream. As soon as I walked in my kinda chubby sister-in-law said, "Oh! I bet the fat girl wants some ice cream!" I could have hid in a hole.. She definitely wasn't doing it in a "fat chick club" kinda way. It was mean. And it made me feel awful. :(
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm fat. Its kinda just a statement of truth. I'm also brown haired, and have freckles and I don't take offense when called that.

Then again, I've been called far worse and trained myself just to shrug it off (working night shifts dealing with drunk people will get you that training fast).

Did have a roomate in highschool that used to say things like "ugh your eyes are too small" or "lips are too thin".. she also enjoyed telling me how big I looked in this or that outfit. That did bother me allot.. but I was younger and had no self esteem.. and did not realise untill later that she was a ***** and full of ****.

edit: then again, my friends are mostly male.. so poking a belly and saying "you're fat" is a friendly way of saying hi :P I do know that saying "us fat " can not be said to a stranger, and once you get to know a person you find out if its ok to say that to her/him or not.. depends a whole lot on how fragile that person is IMO
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I don't like being called fat, chunky, big, or any of the above names by ANYONE, muchless from someone who has no room to speak! And for those who are bashing the OP, she did NOT call anyone "fat." If I am reading correctly, large women called her "fat."

I don't like to pass judgement on others, and I really don't like it when others pass judgement on me. Some people are not so kind though. We all have different shapes, sizes, and comfort zones. I work with a lot of "skinny" people who consider anyone larger than a size 2 to be fat and disgusting. That mentality is truly disgusting.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    ugh YES a woman easily 150lbs more than me said something like "big girls like us" and I was terrified... it was part of what motivated me to up my workouts from 3 to 6 times a week!
  • Kat51313
    Kat51313 Posts: 18
    Options
    you may burn in hell for your NANNY NANNY NANNY, but I'll be right there to keep you company!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    About six months ago my husband and I went to Mattress Discounters for a new king size bed. I am 175lbs and my husband is 230lbs. He's big but he doesn't look his weight. The woman helping us was a GOOD 300lbs, if not more. Her weight didn't bother me. HER comment towards us bothered me though.

We only got approved for $1,300 financing through their company. To get the most bang for our buck, we wanted a great mattress and were going to keep our five year old box spring. She told us "People of our size ought to replace the box spring with the mattress"

This was one of many comments she made to us. We obviously left and went elsewhere.
  • natasha4822
    natasha4822 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well Said.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just different for guys. At the moment I am fat. That's reality. I refer to myself that way because it's true and it wouldn't bother me in the least if someone else called me fat. I guess I just have thick skin.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just ended a friendship with a co-worker over the negative comments. She would call us fatties, she calls herself fat-girl on an hour to hour basis. I watch what I eat and exercise 5 days a week, she talks about doing those things. Huge difference. Yea, it can be hurtful and the negativity can be poisonous. Break the ties with this person if possible.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Before I started losing weight one of my female co-workers approached me (she is at least as big as I was, if not bigger) and said "you're big like me so I was wondering where you shopped for clothes". I didn't say anything to her face but I was thinking to myself "did she just call me fat!?!". Um yep. The truth hurts. I considered it motivation.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I was at the beach attending my friend's birthday party. But the funny thing is it was when I was at my smallest (135; 5' 0") and my friend was very overweight (240ish; 5' 3"). Personally, I found it sorta ironic :laugh:

The exact line from my friend was, "Why are you wearing a bathing suit? It makes you look even fatter."

I felt like either going and hiding in a hole or tell her "Look who is talking?". Either way I was very mad for embarrassing me in front of everyone for a laugh :mad:. Needless, to say I dumped that "friend"!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just different for guys. At the moment I am fat. That's reality. I refer to myself that way because it's true and it wouldn't bother me in the least if someone else called me fat. I guess I just have thick skin.
    I tend to agree with this since I feel the same way. As someone else posted, I also have brown hair and freckles, so if someone were to point that out...well it's true! :smile:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    ugh YES a woman easily 150lbs more than me said something like "big girls like us" and I was terrified... it was part of what motivated me to up my workouts from 3 to 6 times a week!
    That might have had more to do with her not facing up to how she looked herself, but, we take the motivation wherever it comes from, right??