Being called " fat" by another " fatty"

Options

Replies

• susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just for the record I am NOT calling anyone fat. I'm not the bullying type so, sorry for the misunderstanding.

The record already states that you did call someone fat. It's the title of your thread. No misunderstanding on this end.

Why is there one on every thread??
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm Puerto Rican so, all my life I heard " gordita".. Kind of grew up not likeing it though lol.

Yea, same here. Gordita the way I always heard it used had nothing to do with being pretty or not. It definitely was used to describe any girl who was fairly chubby, whether or not she was pretty. I definitely wouldn't take it in a good way, lol.

I know the girl who used that term for me, and she did not mean it in a bad way at all so I'm not going to assume she did.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I am on here because I am fat. Lard *kitten*. Fatty fatty fat fat. Chubby. Fat ****er.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Embrace who you are.

You. Are. Fat.

People see your fat rolls when you are in a swim suit. You jiggle when you walk.

Get over it.

Now, go lose some weight.

I should have said one other thing. If anyone looks down on you because you are fat. Tell them to kiss your *kitten* and walk on. It's a body shape, not your soul.

BINGO!

x2!! I'm the first one to admit I'm a fat *kitten*! My policy is if it's true, I can't be offended :laugh:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm Puerto Rican so, all my life I heard " gordita".. Kind of grew up not likeing it though lol.

Yea, same here. Gordita the way I always heard it used had nothing to do with being pretty or not. It definitely was used to describe any girl who was fairly chubby, whether or not she was pretty. I definitely wouldn't take it in a good way, lol.

I know the girl who used that term for me, and she did not mean it in a bad way at all so I'm not going to assume she did.

I know a lot of hispanics mean it as a term of endearment, but some of us ( in my family) that grew up a little detached from the Hispanic culture.. still found it a little insulting, but we still knew better.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Someone called me a "gordita" about a year ago. I almost swung a bat in the general direction of her face until I realized what she meant.

I know she didn't mean it in a negative way. "Gordita" is often used by people in Miami to affectionately refer to a girl who is chubby but very pretty, but I just kept thinking about the taco bell gorditas.

pdp_gordita_supreme.jpg

I love Gorditas!!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Someone called me a "gordita" about a year ago. I almost swung a bat in the general direction of her face until I realized what she meant.

I know she didn't mean it in a negative way. "Gordita" is often used by people in Miami to affectionately refer to a girl who is chubby but very pretty, but I just kept thinking about the taco bell gorditas.

pdp_gordita_supreme.jpg

me too.. looks delicious.. lmao
    I love Gorditas!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I know a lot of hispanics mean it as a term of endearment, but some of us ( in my family) that grew up a little detached from the Hispanic culture.. still found it a little insulting, but we still knew better.

Yeah, the girl who said it meant it as a term of endearment, and she is a sweetie. I just don't usually assume people are insulting me unless it's obvious.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    It's a body shape, not your soul.

Amazing... :):) and sorry that people are teaming up against something so silly... Some users seem to be browsng threads simply for an excuse to be... well... an *kitten* really!

I understand completely why people may be annoyed or offended, but there is no need to make a deal out of it!
    (says me also commenting on it... ahhh i cant win -_-)

I used to work with a bigger lady who always commented on her body size, and when i started gaining she started using the term 'us' instead of 'I'

Its just as bad as larger people calling you skinny when your not! haha
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how close you are to the person who's saying it. I'm one of 3 girls and we all really struggle with our weight so the odd friendly "us bigger birds...." or similar, is taken merely as expressing a mutual bond rather than a divisive comment.

Take insult only where insult is intended I say!
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    Once someone called me "medium sized" and I wanted to say "what you mean is fat, right?", but I realize much later that she meant those people who aren't "skinny" or 'fat" but in the middle. I've kinda been like that for a long time....overweight, but not enough for people to call "fat". I figure at the workplace, we don't bring up weight. Now that I've lost weight I have people who call me "skinny" or "a stick figure" (which I'm not either, I have a curvy figure and a bumper booty and I like it!) and its still just weird at the workplace. I figure people should only say things about other women's bodies if they know the person personally. Its a safe rule for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood why people are sensitive about being described as 'fat'. If you are, you are. I think there's an obvious distinction between it being used as an insult, rather than a simple descriptor. And when used in the way you describe in the OP, I think it's just affectionate, a kind of solidarity, and I see no harm in it at all.

I was on a bus once, at my heaviest, and a child innocently asked his mother why I was so fat... His mother was mortified. But I said to her 'don't be silly, it's fine, I am fat, there's nothing wrong with him noticing that'. Cause really, there isn't. It's only when people start to think it's *embarrassing* or *insulting* to describe people that way that it starts to become a problem. Teaching kids that 'fat' is an insult is a huge problem to me.
  • kodijhill
    kodijhill Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    one time i was in this store in another state and looking at the clothes and this lady comes over and tells her friend thats by me dont look in that section its for horses i was offened i said as loud as i could oh my how rude. The lady was no bigger than i i think it all has to do what people go through if they can say it and feel comfortable with the word and what it means and saying it to others of the same size i think it helpsw them cope with their own size dont take it to heart cause girl you wont be that way forever. so just brush it off and say hey look that offends me you may be comfortable with saying it to others but im not because anyone one any shape should keep things that might hurts others to themselves especially when they have no room to talk and who cares if someone gives you grief on here etc just ignore them and only read the important comments
  • bleacheblonde
    bleacheblonde Posts: 333
    Options
    I carry my weight primarily in my midsection, so once (when I was about 30 pounds lighter than I am now, even) this girl asked me if I was pregnant. If I hadn't been punched in and at work at the time, I might have decked her in the face. She had to be at least 300 pounds and I weighed about 190 at the time, and I was like "Excuse me?? Did you REALLY just ask me that?" I handled the situation gracefully on the surface but that comment pretty much wrecked my already bad self-esteem about my f***king stomach fat. I really don't think she was trying to be mean though...from talking to her cousin that also worked where I work, she just wasn't the brightest crayon in the box so it didn't occur to her that maybe you shouldn't ask a woman if she is pregnant unless she is about-to-burst-9.5-months pregnant. If you're not sure, DON'T ASK. And btw, I would have been just as offended if a woman (or man) of ANY size had asked the same question. I just found it ironic that she was far larger than me and still asked the fat girl if she was preggo.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe you both should stop calling other women fat since it apparently bothers you so much when they do it to you.
    But THEN what would they complain about on the internet?

You guys don;t have to be jerks.. i'm not being malicious.. i dont go around bashing people all day long. I dont sit here complaining all day long.

WHY are they so called jerks?? I think by posting up what you did, Im SURE u knew u would get positive yet, negative feedback right?? And EVERYONE here is entitled to their opinion no matter what :p
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Once someone called me "medium sized" and I wanted to say "what you mean is fat, right?", but I realize much later that she meant those people who aren't "skinny" or 'fat" but in the middle. I've kinda been like that for a long time....overweight, but not enough for people to call "fat". I figure at the workplace, we don't bring up weight. Now that I've lost weight I have people who call me "skinny" or "a stick figure" (which I'm not either, I have a curvy figure and a bumper booty and I like it!) and its still just weird at the workplace. I figure people should only say things about other women's bodies if they know the person personally. Its a safe rule for me.

I'm happy you said this.. because the times I am talking about, have been in the work place!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood why people are sensitive about being described as 'fat'. If you are, you are. I think there's an obvious distinction between it being used as an insult, rather than a simple descriptor. And when used in the way you describe in the OP, I think it's just affectionate, a kind of solidarity, and I see no harm in it at all.

I was on a bus once, at my heaviest, and a child innocently asked his mother why I was so fat... His mother was mortified. But I said to her 'don't be silly, it's fine, I am fat, there's nothing wrong with him noticing that'. Cause really, there isn't. It's only when people start to think it's *embarrassing* or *insulting* to describe people that way that it starts to become a problem. Teaching kids that 'fat' is an insult is a huge problem to me.

I loved reading this :)
    People who are bigger are technically fatter as a higher percentage of their body is fat! It all depends on the individual as to what is deemed acceptable i suppose
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Just remember that misery loves company. I truly do not believe that most people who are overweight really want to stay that way no matter how much they talk about accepting themselves, loving their size and being happy with being full figured. Yes there are some that don't want to change but I would assume the vast majority of people don't like it but either don't know how to change it or are not willing to make the sacrifices to change it.

I've had a lot of heavier people say the same thing to me and it sucks. But looking back to the beginning of my journey I also was not being very honest with myself and now that I've lost weight and feel better about myself I can admit that I was FAT. I still am but at least my BMI is only overweight and not obese!!!

For people like that I say to just ignore it but if she's a repeat offender I would probably get all snarky and b@$&y and if she said it again I would say something like "well the X amount of weight I've lost takes me out of that category now". But I can be really sarcastic too!!!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Maybe you both should stop calling other women fat since it apparently bothers you so much when they do it to you.
    But THEN what would they complain about on the internet?

You guys don;t have to be jerks.. i'm not being malicious.. i dont go around bashing people all day long. I dont sit here complaining all day long.

WHY are they so called jerks?? I think by posting up what you did, Im SURE u knew u would get positive yet, negative feedback right?? And EVERYONE here is entitled to their opinion no matter what :p

The statement about what else would I be doing with my time made me say that.. Everyone is entitled, of course :)
  • stlinares
    stlinares Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mother who had always been extremely obese (250 at her lowest - 302 at her heaviest) at 4'11!! was very quick to point out anytime I gained weight. Even if I went from 110 to 117 at 5'2" she could see and was very rude about it: "Is that a belly I see on you?" or "Your *kitten* is getting fat."
    I'm smaller than almost all of my close friends. Most will point out a weight gain but never in a non-flattering way.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    also, judging by your profile pic, if that is you then YEA you dont loooook fat, so hmmm makes me think are you one of them girls who always think they are fat just cuz they are not at the weight they wish they were at!? AND IM STATING I'M GOIN BY YOUR PICTURE.