I PLANK CHALLENGE YOU

Options
12346»

Replies

• NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    Are you guys doing extended-arm planks, or elbow planks? I've been doing elbow planks... still do them almost every day, just don't post unless I've had an increase in my times! I am still here! :smile: Nina, I am still at 82 seconds doing front elbow planks. Haven't tried side planks yet!

Maurie, I'm elbowing, don't know about anyone else. I tried a full arm, just wasn't wild about how if felt.

I am concerned about how much I am feeling my planks in my low back, is this a problem with my form? I don't have a mirror in the little room I do them in so can't see how level I am. :ohwell:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Haha. I went to the gym yesterday and decided I would do 1 hr cardio and then abs and flexibility.
    I do my stretches and I am about to do my planks when this buff dude in itty bitty shorts, lands right next to me....far enough away for a full view.

Dude goes into a plank for 5 minutes or more:noway: :noway: I yelled..........BANKS is that YOU man???

But then figured our banksy would not be wearing those itty bitty shorts:laugh: :laugh:

I almost wanted to applaud!!

I waited to do my 30 second chicken planks:blushing:

But I did them and got to 1 minute, then 45 seconds and the 3rd one was 30 seconds.

next time I am doing them 1st so I can see if energy has anything to do with it!!

:drinker: Jeannie

Banks:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too late to join?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Are you guys doing extended-arm planks, or elbow planks? I've been doing elbow planks... still do them almost every day, just don't post unless I've had an increase in my times! I am still here! :smile: Nina, I am still at 82 seconds doing front elbow planks. Haven't tried side planks yet!

Maurie, I'm elbowing, don't know about anyone else. I tried a full arm, just wasn't wild about how if felt.

I am concerned about how much I am feeling my planks in my low back, is this a problem with my form? I don't have a mirror in the little room I do them in so can't see how level I am. :ohwell:

you should be able to look thru you shoulders, down your chest and see your toes. (but only put your head like this for a moment) the idea is your body to be a straight as a plank. It takes some time. You will get there.

My low back hurts if I have my butt in the air too high. I also am doing the child pose stretch inbetween (per my physical therapist)
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh, I totally forgot to report that on my Friday workout there were two guys planking like demons!!! They were pressing a weight (no idea how many pounds) on each other's backs while they planked. I think they lasted for 30 seconds of that torture. I about died. And was too embarassed to plank in front of them, so did some hip raises on the pilates machine and slunked outta there (don't worry, I planked at work later!)

:laugh: that was me last weekend............but I am in a place now where I dont care.......did mine anyway (whispers,..............after he left..........) :blushing:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Of COURSE it's not too late for anyone to join! Plank right in! :laugh: :laugh:

Arewethereyet: What's the Child Pose?? (Can you tell I've never done yoga or pilates or whatever...before?) Thanks for the pointers on proper form without a mirror!

Ninadawn79: Supposedly the elbow ones are HARDEST, so we're challenging ourselves :wink: :tongue:

Wishful: Yay, you're going up!!

Ninaskys1090: WOOHOO, that's longer than I was when I started! Keep planking away, it builds your core strength!

I'm up to a minute and a half! Slow progress, but I am not shaking nearly as much as when I first started. :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Arewethereyet: What's the Child Pose?? (Can you tell I've never done yoga or pilates or whatever...before?) Thanks for the pointers on proper form without a mirror!

Ninadawn79: Supposedly the elbow ones are HARDEST, so we're challenging ourselves :wink: :tongue:

Ninaskys1090: WOOHOO, that's longer than I was when I started! Keep planking away, it builds your core strength!

I'm up to a minute and a half! Slow progress, but I am not shaking nearly as much as when I first started. :drinker:

this one maurierose
    http://www.yoga.org.nz/postures/childs_yoga_instruction.htm

stretches you out inbetween planks. I love it........ahhhhhhh
  • hmo4
    Options
    We're planking right now in the kitchen! Me-1:45, my dh-3:00 (he'll prob brag, on and on about it later), and my 12 yr old 1:40. She's side planking right now. My lower back hurts...(excuses excuses).

How often do you plank?
  • maurierose
    Options
    hmo4: WOOHOOO, you guys are doin great! Has your hubby stopped bragging yet? Tell him he can only brag from plank position :devil: That's a fun thing to do as a family :smile: :smile:

Thanks arewethereyet! I'm convinced you're gonna be a contortionist when you grow up. And you might turn me into one, too! Thanks for the link! :bigsmile:
  • hmo4
    Options
    Do you take rest days, 3x a week or what? I did it today, and side planked. Thought I'd be stronger. My lower back gives out. And No:laugh: , he doesn't dare brag, or he can PLANK OFF!:laugh: :laugh:
    You guys are all doing great. My logest 1:53 with the shakes. Sides were about 1:15 each.

I'm starting a WALL SIT CHALLENGE, care to join?
  • hmo4
    Options
    I'll play...

I've been taking a boot camp class in the mornings and part of our assessment every four weeks is seeing how long we can hold the plank (butt down is a must!).

Last Friday, I held my plank for 7 minutes, 5 seconds! The record is just over 8 minutes, so that's my goal. :)

You totally INSPIRE me to keep plugging along girl-way to go!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

this one maurierose
    http://www.yoga.org.nz/postures/childs_yoga_instruction.htm

stretches you out inbetween planks. I love it........ahhhhhhh

So... that video there.... with those guys.... :love:
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I got 5 minutes... I am going to try and add 5 seconds everyday.
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'll play...

I've been taking a boot camp class in the mornings and part of our assessment every four weeks is seeing how long we can hold the plank (butt down is a must!).

Last Friday, I held my plank for 7 minutes, 5 seconds! The record is just over 8 minutes, so that's my goal. :)

You totally INSPIRE me to keep plugging along girl-way to go!

Thanks! We have another test next Friday. I'm not sure I can do 7 minutes again. Of course, it's always a bit easier when you have competition!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I'd be happy with a minute!
  • hmo4
    Options
    How often do you do this anyway?
  • maurierose
    Options
    So... that video there.... with those guys.... :love:

Zara!!!!! :noway: ROFLMAO

HMO, I plank several times a day. Some days I miss doing them, but I consider them like crunches... just part of my daily routine. The more I do, the better I get. Though I seriously don't know how long it will take me to get to 7 minutes.... :laugh: