Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Options

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When working out sports bras should be worn even when you're covered. I mean, especially if you're doing cardio you don't want it all over the place right?
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    totally appropriate! But, if your gym is that hot, you should also complain as you pay good money for it not to be uncomfortable! I agree, if you can rock the sports bra and feel that good about yourself, than just do it! I cannot do it... at least not yet, and I find it totally inspirational to see what others have worked so hard for.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

Yea, I have to agree with this one too. At least for the gym. If you're at an open-air gym or jogging/working out outside then yea, rock the sports bra
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    o yeah plus i dont have the privilege to go to the gym
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with it. The only person who does this at my gym is in her 60's and she looks great, BTW. She is a huge inspiration to me and no I don't think she is doing it for attention....I think she doing it because hot flashes suck and she can.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I see it as attention getting, but I guess if you are comfortable then I guess it shouldn't matter. I don't see much difference in that than a regular bra.

And yes you see it on TV sports.

But I have to add i've always been modest, it was just the way I was raised.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I don't care if you're 100 lbs or 300 lbs. You're at the damn gym to work out, not look like a movie star. Wear what makes you comfortable. Period. If you're sweating your *kitten* off, why do you have to be hot and uncomfortable, therefore causing your workout to suffer, because you're fat? I wear two sports bras because it's more comfortable, and usually a wick wear tank over them. And I look like a whale. And I don't give a f@ck. :D

It's the same as the SKINNY people at the gym who like to stare and laugh and titter at the fat chick on the treadmill. Get over it, yo.

Also, please note I said skinny. Funny enought, the FIT people at the gym are always freaking awesome and inspirational and happy to help/motivate/cheer!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    My gym does not have good air conditioning...
    That's a shame. Why?

air conditioning + sports bra = :happy:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Use the guys as your guide. Are they exercising shirt off? Wearing only a sports bra is the equivalent. That is for co-ed gyms.

In a women's only gym, there may be more leeway. In Rome, do as the Romans do.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd do it if I had the abs for anything that showed my mid-drift. I get hot when I run, so I only wear a tank over my sports bra. More power to those that look good without the tank. :)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I think its totally OK, however, if "heavier" women want to walk around in a sports bra they shouldn't get hated on- I'm quite sure they are human and feel hot inside a gym as well... if that's REALLY the reason for wearing a sports bra uncovered at the gym.
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Options
    I think it's fine. You should wear whatever YOU are comfortable with. Not whatever pleases someone else. Personally, I'm too into my own workout to worry about what others wearing. If want to wear make-up, too, go ahead. LIke someone above said, clownsuit, go ahead!!! :glasses:
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    If I was working out at gym (doing what I normally do at home) I would definitely need to wear a sports bra! I workout and get my sweat on, so I can't wear t-shirt to do this. Ha ha
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Girl if you're toned or buff, sport it.

If not cover that *kitten* up. Seriously, I have not and will not ever get to sport just the sports bra look. I give other people the courtesy of covering up. I ask that they do the same. Love yourself at home in your house for your eyes only.

:grumble:

edit- a sports bra under workout clothes is also must. No matter who you are.
    Agreed.
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    Use the guys as your guide. Are they exercising shirt off? Wearing only a sports bra is the equivalent. That is for co-ed gyms.

That's a great way to go. It's definitely a question of the gym environment more than the person.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    how anybody dressess for the gym is of no concern to me, you could come wrapped in cling film for all I care.

but to answer your question, you rock that sports bra :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That's a great way to go. It's definitely a question of the gym environment more than the person.

I've never seen a shirtless guy at my gym, but I have seen plenty of women in only sports bras and no one seems bothered by it.
  • a2902c
    a2902c Posts: 96
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

My thoughts exactly.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet in my progress to just wear a sports bra but you better believe I will when I am!
    I think people that do are inspiration and motivation while I'm at the gym actually, so go for it, you
    might be motivating someone :)
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I have this problem of not giving a f$%k what people think

Girl, I say do it if you want too