Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Options

Replies

• jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Well heres the way i see it! If u look good or feel confident for thatmatter thenmore powerto ya! I hopeto be there one day! I would flaunt myself for everyone to see my hard work! If u got it flaunt it mamma!! Migt make the other girls push themselves a lil more too! The only reason i get pissed is bcuz im jealous lol! Be proud!!!:bigsmile: ll
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    If they're not wiping down the equipment after their sweaty skin touches it, that kind of grosses me out. I prefer to have on at least a tank top to sop up my sweat!
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I would NEVER personally wear my sports bra in public. I do see it as a bra, and I wouldn't walk around in any other bra. I think it's just the name, though - psychological thing.

However, they cover PLENTY. It's not like they're skimpy and revealing - they cover lots more than a bikini would. I think if someone's got the confidence to wear one in public, good on them.

I agree with this a little.
    It is a bra. It's meant to be an undergarment.
    If you have a problem with heat and perspiration, buy cool /dry/breathable wick wear. They come in tanks.
    I am noticing more and more gyms having a dress code these days.

But, in the same breath when you are shopping for sports bras you can clearly see a difference in those that were meant to be worn under something and those that were not.

It's all about the bra, the boobs and the person. Personally, if I am seeing your side boob you are either wearing the wrong sports bra or you are just there for attention. In either case, for as much as I love women, I don't want to see your side boob (or any other part of it for that matter) at the gym.

I lack in the boob deparment no worries of any boob showing haha
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

My thoughts exactly.

Some women sweat more than others, and the more clothing, the less comfortable they are. When I work out at home, I wear just the sports bra. The ONLY reason I wear a tank top over it anywhere else is my abs are not tight enough for me to feel comfortable without it. If I felt comfortable with my body to go sports bra and shorts only in public, I would because I wouldn't get so freaking hot.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever you are comfortable in whether you are fit or heavy. I would not wear a sports bra at a gym because I see it as an actual bra that should be worn under a shirt in public. It doesn't bother me if others wear them though. I honestly don't care if someone was in their undies at the gym. I'm not there to people watch. I'm there to workout. I put my earphones in and tune everything around me out.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER personally wear my sports bra in public. I do see it as a bra, and I wouldn't walk around in any other bra. I think it's just the name, though - psychological thing.

However, they cover PLENTY. It's not like they're skimpy and revealing - they cover lots more than a bikini would. I think if someone's got the confidence to wear one in public, good on them.

I agree with this a little.
    It is a bra. It's meant to be an undergarment.
    If you have a problem with heat and perspiration, buy cool /dry/breathable wick wear. They come in tanks.
    I am noticing more and more gyms having a dress code these days.

But, in the same breath when you are shopping for sports bras you can clearly see a difference in those that were meant to be worn under something and those that were not.

It's all about the bra, the boobs and the person. Personally, if I am seeing your side boob you are either wearing the wrong sports bra or you are just there for attention. In either case, for as much as I love women, I don't want to see your side boob (or any other part of it for that matter) at the gym.

I lack in the boob deparment no worries of any boob showing haha

If that is a pic of YOU in your profile then you do NOT lack in the boob dept.
    Wear the sports bra! Be comfortable. If you feel uncomfortable, put a shirt on. It's your workout.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Totally fine, in my opinion. No different than a guy in a tank top. I know it's easy to be titillated, but we are all there for the same main purpose...fitness. And athletes are athletes.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I personally would never do it, even if I was a ripped super weight lifting beast like I want to be. But, it depends on the girl. I'll give you some examples of two women who go to my gym:

Girl #1: Skinny little, dainty thing that walks around with her boyfriend. They get on the treadmill and "jog" for a few minutes before becoming obviously bored.... so they get off and go do a couple of machines together until they are bored with that.... they hang out with their friends for a little while before moving to the elliptical.... they might attend a class, but leave after 15 minutes or so..... you get the picture.

Then there's Girl #2: I always see her by herself, because clearly she is at the gym to workout not socialize. She's toned and healthy, She lifts heavy, she has an obvious routine from week to week

See what I mean? Both will wear just a sports bra and shorts, but I've seen #1 wear just a sports bra with pants!!! If she's hot from working out, why is she wearing the pants.... Oh, your not hot, you just want to show of the goods.

I don't have a problem with #2, but #1 annoys me.... but hey, it's her choice.... whatev.... I'm there to workout, so I don't care about the fashion statements going on around me..... but I still think #1 is silly.

I will say this: I NEVER see guys in my gym shirtless, so why should a girl do it? Oh, and at least #2 carries a towel around to wipe her sweat off things.... girl #1 never has one.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it \m/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    As long as a male isn't wearing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If I had the body and confidence, I'd do it too. Not for vanity reasons really, but because I sweat like a beast and the less sweaty clothing clinging to me, the better. I see plenty of women at the gym work out in only a sports bra and shorts/leggings, it's the ones that are just there to prance around and not really work hard (just want to show off how skinny they are) that bother me. They're all usually really young, so at least I know their metabolisms will slow down and mine's only getting better :)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I will say this: I NEVER see guys in my gym shirtless, so why should a girl do it? Oh, and at least #2 carries a towel around to wipe her sweat off things.... girl #1 never has one.

That's a good point, I don't think I've ever seen a shirtless guy at the gym. Wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off so much that me might as well be wearing a tank top, yes, but never totally shirtless. But technically wearing a sports bra isn't totally shirtless, so idk.

Oh and having a towel is a must!
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Go for it. Get that workout on! I would rather see that than the folks who come in jeans/work uniforms/flip flops.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

I'm agree as well. I feel completely confident running or working out in a sports bra. The problem might be the reaction of those around you... honking, whistling, hooting (if you are outside) and being a distraction (inside). I wear wicking singlets: they are modest AND light/breathable.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I always cover up simply because I would feel uncomfortable showing off much in public, but I also have to say I don't find it very appropriate in most cases. Unless they are sweating a good bit and need to take the shirt off out of comfort. The gyms I've been to however, that is not the case. I would have thought it would be the guys struting around shirtless rather than always seeing girls doing it. But to each her own. :)
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's actually against the rules at my gym to not have a shirt on. Guy or girl, they'll kick you out. As is talking on your cell phone. You'll get kicked out for that too. It's about everyone being comfortable and safe there, since it is a community center. If you are sweating too much, wear clothing that is more loose. Cut off the sleeves and make larger arm holes in old tee shirts, cut the neck wider too if necessary.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you got the body, rock it!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Man, the SECOND I feel good about my midsection, I might never wear a shirt again!
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure my gym has a policy against it and i would never workout in just a sports bra. a light baggy t-shirt, or moisture whicking top would keep you just as cool, if not cooler, without drawing attention to yourself and or distracting the other people at the gym ;)