I've lost the "why"?

I wrote a really long message. But Instead, I'd like to ask everyone "why", specifically, they exercise?

There's got to be more to it than - "I want to lose weight", which probably means that you're disgusted enough with your appearance to do something about it.

That used to be enough for me, but I really can't think of a motivating enough reason to exercise!

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

Many thanks :)

Replies

• tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Health
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    I want to be an athlete again
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Because I get to eat more.
  • tryinghard71
    From Mayo Clinic Website.

Exercise combats health conditions and diseases

Worried about heart disease? Hoping to prevent high blood pressure? No matter what your current weight, being active boosts high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol and decreases unhealthy triglycerides. This one-two punch keeps your blood flowing smoothly, which decreases your risk of cardiovascular diseases. In fact, regular physical activity can help you prevent or manage a wide range of health problems and concerns, including stroke, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, depression, certain types of cancer, arthritis and falls.
  • tryinghard71
    Because I get to eat more.

Amen!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Because I feel better after I do it. Especially when it means I can eat more. :wink:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    I love to explore so I like to hike mountains that I have never been to and ride my bike to areas just to see what is there. You can see more on a bike or running than in a car.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    I want to be fit and strong for the rest of my life. My little brother is 5 and he's counting on me to be. I want people to perceive me as athletic just once in my life. I like how I feel when I've finished: strong and powerful. And I like to eat. The harder I work, the more food I can enjoy.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    - to support my love affair with chocolate
    - sweating is fun
    - gives me something constructive to do
    - has shown me that I'm capable of more than I ever thought
    - allows me to play and play and play with my kid and not get worn out
    - free entertainment for the family (walking/running/biking together)
    - cheaper than therapy

Need more???
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Watching my fathers legs get used less and less and the muscle apathy that is forming there and watching him try to walk, thinking I can't let myself get to that point, because it makes others suffer not just me.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    I posted about this yesterday so maybe look back- it was entitled 'point of exercise?' As one who exercise only because I think I have to, if we are all eating back the calories then what's the point? Some days I would rather do no exercise and just eat less food! I will be interested to see what comments you get...
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    I want to look good, I want to feel good, I want to live long. I like to challenge myself and see progression.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I love being outdoors. I love the view from the tops of mountains. I love exploring places far off the coast with friends. I love just being able to jump on my bicycle and visit somewhere miles away, just for the sheer joy of being able to do it. I love strapping on a set of snowshoes and just going miles and miles and miles through virgin snow, all alone, hearing snowflakes fall and nothing else but the noise I'm making. I love hopping out of bed in the morning and enjoying the entire day, rather than stumbling and grumbling for 3 hours (OK, I'm not perfect at all this, but I'm getting better)

Exercise unlocks all of that for me. The crappy tedium staring at the elliptical/treadmill screen or repeating BO-RING weight reps means I can get up that mountain a lot faster with a lot more energy to enjoy the view. I can paddle my kayak further. I can cycle longer, faster. I can do so many more things at 216 and reasonably fit than I could at 280 and gasping after a flight of stairs.

And I want to live a long time to do all those things. I want to get to know my 9-year-old's future children and maybe her grandchildren. I want to climb a huge mountain when I'm 100 years old. I want to hike the 100 mile wilderness. Maybe, someday, I want to run a marathon. Maybe I'll never do any of those things. But I sure as hell won't if I don't try.

I'm over 40 years old, and I've wasted most of my life being fat. Some people want a new car for their midlife crisis. I want a new body. Actually, I want some of that time back, but I can't get it. So I'll try and make it.
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    I exercise because I have Lupus and I have friends with Lupus that can't exercise. There are even days when I can't so I am thankful to be able to exercise when I can. Days where I can't even walk some times or even sit. Have you seen that commercial where the little girls says she runs for those who can't. I understand that so much!!

Health and weight loss too. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    1. Eating more. I love food.
    2. I really love the way my body feels when I'm in the ZONE of exercising regularly. It makes me high on life. And burgers.
  • Bizeebec150
    Bizeebec150 Posts: 88
    I love the way it makes me feel. Powerful, strong and healthy. I have had to incorporate athletic events to keep the why-fire lit. So I will sign up for a half marathon or join a running group, to help me find the why and keep me motivated.
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    I find it really relaxing (especially running!), and I get to eat more!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    It keeps my depression in check.
    I feel "human" when I do it regularly.
    I have more energy for the rest of my life.
    I love the post workout high.
    I get to eat more!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    To constantly increase strength and power. To be able to run faster and longer.
    Losing weight has little or nothing to do with it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I love the way it makes me feel. Powerful, strong and healthy. I have had to incorporate athletic events to keep the why-fire lit. So I will sign up for a half marathon or join a running group, to help me find the why and keep me motivated.

A few weeks ago, I signed up for the "Trek Across Maine", a 180-mile 3-day cycle ride. That's added a lot of immediacy to the "why?". "Wait, I committed to doing WHAT a month from now?!?!"