I've lost the "why"?

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    I've loved it and I've hated it. Now I push myself to set a schedule of exercise and stick to it, even if I don't feel like it.

I do it to lose weight.
    I do it because I know it helps battle depression.
    I do it because it helps keep the brain stronger.
    I do it to reshape my body, because losing weight without toning would be, for me, kind of pointless. I want to look *good,* not just skinnier!
    I do it because I know I'll feel miserable if I don't.
    I do it because I have a quadriplegic friend who *can't* exercise. I do it because I can.
    Sometimes I enjoy the muscle burn.
    Sometimes I get to enjoy the beautiful outdoors.
    Sometimes it makes me appreciate my life.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    stress, to eat more and I find it enjoyable
  • Loraah
    Loraah Posts: 111 Member
    To not be dying in the summer heat.

To walk up a set of stairs and not feel like im gonna die
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Because I am incredibly vain.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    I feel great, get an energy boost and it's fun!
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Because someday in the future I want ot have children and I dont want them to be overweight because mommy and daddy are obese. (If your parents are over weight it increases your chances of being over weight)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Because i get to think about which boys i would like to bite while Im hitting the gym hard.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Because I feel better when I exercise. Sometimes I really don't feel like it but once I get out there I quite enjoy it.
    I'm not a hardcore exerciser, I only do walking and Zumba plus crunches, push ups and squats at home but I still feel tons better when I'm active than when I'm having a lazy time.

It's still a bit about weight loss, I'm not trying to lose any more weight as such but I'd like to tone up a bit and keep the weight off. If I lose a bit more that'll be a bonus.

I want to stay relatively fit, I don't want to be one of those slim people who's wheezing climbing a hill. As we know, slim doesn't always = fit same as bigger doesn't always = unfit.

And finally I live in a really nice place with good weather, a beach and nice hill walks. It'd be a shame not to take advantage of it.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Because at 248 pounds I would get out of breath climbing a flight of stairs, I hated taking pills for high blood pressure, I hated using a CPAP machine at night when I slept. I hated the way I looked, low self esteem, always agry and making excuses why I couldn't do anything.

Now I am fit, run, cycle, and do anything I want and never get winded. I am off the medications, off the CPAP, love the way I look, am always happy and I don't make excuses for anything.

I have changed my lifestyle and that includes diet and FITNESS.
  • jazz0matic
    jazz0matic Posts: 38
    my family history of self inflicted obesity due to joint related injuries. and in december i was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee. I will not let their fate be mine.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Because I get to eat more.

Absolutely! Enough said.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    It keeps my depression in check.
    I feel "human" when I do it regularly.
    I have more energy for the rest of my life.
    I love the post workout high.
    I get to eat more!

All of this plus it will keep me mobile when I grow older. I don't want to be dependent on machines for mobility. Plus I like to wear regular size clothes an feel sexy with my husband.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Why??

Because it makes me feel good.
    Because I like to look shapely.
    Because I like to eat.
    Because I want to see and help my baby grow up.
    Because I want to grow old and be fit enough to enjoy retirement.
    Because being fat was miserable.
    Because I like cute clothes.
    Because my arthritis hurts when I am overweight.
    Because there is more to life to enjoy than can be done while sitting on my behind.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Because I get to eat more.

Amen!!!!

^^totally this!

Yep... hate to admit it... but the only only reason I run so much is because I get to eat more!
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Reduces stress....
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    To help with stress, to train for a half marathon, to be healthy for my kids, to feel good about myself.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Serious reasons: It's a wonderful stress reliever and it lifts my mood. I do my long runs with a group, and I also love the social aspect and the friends I've made. I have family history of heart disease and osteoporosis on both sides, and I've seen what living with 30% of your heart capacity and brittle bones looks like.
    Selfish reasons: I feel BA when I lift heavy weights, and I love feeling powerful. I get to eat more. I'm about 10 lbs heavier than my lightest college weight, but yesterday I rocked short shorts for the first time in 20 something years (last time I wore them I was 6 or 7). In college I was on the low end of the healthy weight range, but I never felt comfortable. Instead of dreading looking in the mirror because of bumps and lumps, the first thing I noticed when I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday was: "damn, look at those quads, the weight training sure paid off". I didn't feel disappointed, upset, or self-conscious, I just felt good (cue LMFAO's song in the background).
  • It litterally and immediately makes me a happier person
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    the real question is "why not?"

Exercise does all these things....
    ---weight loss
    ---health
    ---strength
    ---longevity
    ---fitness
    ---appearance
    ---stress relief
    ---challenge
    ---endorphin rush
    ---positive energy
    ---accomplishment
    ---pride
    ---skill improvement
    ---friend building and networking (MFP, one-on-one, team sports, races, etc)
    ---lower insurance premiums
    ---lower risk for expensive health problems
    ---improved libedo, stamina, sex life

Exercise does all these things and more. Harness several of these or others and make them your motivation!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    I have neurological condition and been wheelchair since 2005. I've used Wii Fit for gentle physio for years and gradually built up to been able to do more active games with faster movements like boxing which then has helped me to lose weight.

It's also helped my co-ordination and balance, relieved back pain and I've had no progression for the last year and have in fact made improvement much to the amazement of my Neurologist! :happy:

Now I can stand and walk with crutches, only for few steps but makes transfers easier... my 'why' is that I can't take anything for granted and have to work hard to keep every bit of independence and movement!