A bit about Dr. Oz.

Options

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Dr Oz until I joined MFP, tbh :blushing:

I thought Oprah's guru was Dr Phil :laugh:
    Dr Phil for psychology but, lately, even he's been on the 17-Day Diet and P.I.N.K. Method bandwagons!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    The only person on TV that I ever trusted.

119.jpg

^^^ RIP Bob, I still miss you!
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I not a forum person, but seriously? Are you guys aware of the amount of stupidity in this discussion? The man has a TV show.
    1) You're not forced to watch his TV show.
    2) It's his TV show, he can do whatever the **** he wants.
    3) If someone dies because of him it's their own damn fault.

Like, seriously? Who the hell is stupid to the point of risking their life because of a guy on TV? It was your choice to watch the show and it was your choice to **** up. If I go on TV and tell you to buy a sword and start killing people with it will you do it? Of course not. If you don't have the judgement to make health related decisions and you do them based on a freaking TV show you shouldn't even be allowed to own a TV.

We are super serial right now.
  • 2012Mich
    2012Mich Posts: 93
    Options
    My doctor hates him. She would agree that he dishes out crap.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So on the flip side, because my station used to air this show:

The few Dr. Oz episodes I've seen actually had good information, he went toe to toe about a low/no carb diet, and completely destroyed the guy advocating a ZERO carb diet.

The other episode I remember was a show on HCG where he basically called all the users of this diet stupid.

My problem is he is always "You don't do this...AND YOU WILL DIE!!"

Plus he only has a show because of Oprah. Same with Dr. Phil

I'm actually a fan of The Doctors though. That show is pretty damn good.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I watch him once and a while, maybe 4 or 5 times so far this year. If I hear something that interests me I make a note and check other sources online later. There is some good info dispensed and some is just humbug.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    In argument to all those who promote alternative medicines...
    To quote Tim Minchin "By definition, alternative medicine, has either not been proved to work, or been proved not to work. Do you know what they call alternative medicine that's been proved to work? ........ Medicine."

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I not a forum person, but seriously? Are you guys aware of the amount of stupidity in this discussion? The man has a TV show.
    1) You're not forced to watch his TV show.
    2) It's his TV show, he can do whatever the **** he wants.
    3) If someone dies because of him it's their own damn fault.

Like, seriously? Who the hell is stupid to the point of risking their life because of a guy on TV? It was your choice to watch the show and it was your choice to **** up. If I go on TV and tell you to buy a sword and start killing people with it will you do it? Of course not. If you don't have the judgement to make health related decisions and you do them based on a freaking TV show you shouldn't even be allowed to own a TV.
    Ever think of desperate people? People who are terrified of dying and will follow anyone who tells them they can be saved? It's so damn easy to judge them when it's not happening to you.

It has nothing to do with being stupid. Very smart people buy into bunk and pay for it with their lives. They're scared. They're human.

You don't know what's happening to me to make that statement. I'm human and I'm not doing that. That's being naive, not human.
    You're right, I don't know what's going on with you. But I do know you're being judgmental and holier-than-thou in presuming that anyone who grasps at straws is an idiot. You don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions; that's what I'm saying is part of being human. Some people rely on prayer, others on holistic medicine, others on energy healing, and some people buy into what Dr. Oz says. It doesn't make them stupid, particularly if affording the extraordinarily-expensive forms of real medicine that would actually work is not realistically attainable for them. How can you seriously blame people for listening to the person who gives them hope?

I'm not being any more judgmental than the people that are hating on Dr. Oz. And of course you don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions. But you can't also blame it all on the person who gives you an advice. And that's what confuses me about this discussion. Like someone is going to die because of him. Unless he's their own personal doctor and prescribes them stuff I don't see how he could be blamed.
    I don't blame anyone for listening to him. I do blame people for hurting themselfs. For doing weird stuff to their body without even researching or getting opinions from other doctors. And trust me, I've been there. From cutting to an ED, I've done some pretty stupid **** to my body. And that's why I'm so serious about this, because I know there are other ways and that your body and your life are the most precious things you have, and you shouldn't just mess with that after a 30 minute special.

Of course you can blame the guy who gave advice when he is a doctor giving medical advice. That's why we can sue doctors for malpractice...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I love James Randi. His forum, The James Randi Educational Forum, will tell you all you need to know about every scam and superstition out there.

I <3 debunkers.

ps Alternative medicine is crap, homeopathy is crap, Dr. Oz is a pimp for scam health products, anything sold through Multi-Level Marketing is a rip off, there was no conspiracy other than the one between 19 hijackers on 9/11 and there is no bigfoot.

JREF baby. Love it.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've never seen an episode or even heard him talk. Based on the responses here, I guess I'm lucky lol

But, I do have a friend of a friend (LOL...but seriously) who went on his show and showed the multiple benefits of breastmilk. She had even made some soap using it and he was using it to wash his hands or something. When she told him it had breastmilk in it, he all but gagged. Dude, there are so many soaps out there that are made with milk. Who cares if it comes from humans.

That's all I've got... =)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Are you a doctor, or did you go to medical school and study rigorously? I don't like thate everyone here is trying to loose weight, loosing weight is a postive thing, but yet your focussing your energy on Doctor Oz? Yes the media makes stuff up or makes things bigger then it seems but maybe it is his beliefs and works for him. How can you say it doesn't work when clearly all of our bodies are different and react differently. It sounds and looks like to me with all the negative posters that you guys are miserble with yourself. focus on being happy with yourself, your weightloss goals, rather than immature bashing on a person we probally will never even see in person.

tumblr_m140vycDbs1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

hemad.jpg

still laughing.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    WHAAAAAT?!?!?!? NO MORE RASPBERRY KETONES?!?!??!

dramatic-chipmunk.gif
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    droz1.jpg

Finally, it all makes sense. Thank you. :drinker:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    They have it on at the gym when I'm there. I just watch with my mouth hanging open in disbelief.

That would be dangerous. I'd get all ironed up and throw a barbell plate at the TV.

I'd get pretty turned on if I saw a girl do that. :love:
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I use to like and watch Dr Oz until he recommended something on tv that mad my blood pressure spike so i no longer
    believe alot of what he says.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    They have it on at the gym when I'm there. I just watch with my mouth hanging open in disbelief.

That would be dangerous. I'd get all ironed up and throw a barbell plate at the TV.

I'd get pretty turned on if I saw a girl do that. :love:

Rawr! (but a girly rawr)
  • jlawson113
    jlawson113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    watch it...you don't want to make THE OZ angry :explode:
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Here’s the point.

Dr. Oz has a medical degree. This gives him ‘cred’ to most people. I have to trust the opinion/advice of a person who graduated from medical school over my neighbor who lives 3 doors down (even if he’s the epitome of physical health --- or so he looks.) It would be counter-intuitive not to.

So, to say that Dr. Oz has no responsibility for the topics he discusses or HOW he discusses them is ridiculous. Of course he has a responsibility. If he urges people to do something that’s not backed by science…that’s irresponsible of him. Because people listen to him, and put stake in what he has to say --- b/c he’s a doctor. But…there are plenty of ‘doctors’ in the world who are obviously ‘quacks’. If 90% of the information he includes in his show is true/correct/effective/backed by science…then that makes the 10% that’s cooky even MORE dangerous (I don’t watch his show so I have no idea if my % ratio is correct =D ). So to say that –‘everything he says isn’t bad….’ Isn’t a good argument in defense of him.

Also on the flip side, YES…I believe that ALL people should be an advocate for their own health and well-being. If you think you’d like to try out raspberry keytones (whatever that is…) then be my guest. I would hope that you do your own research (and ask your PCP/Family Doc) whose actually treating you and get all the info you can before you put something into your body. And, ultimately…if you don’t, and you go by what ‘Dr. Oz says…’ then it’s your fault if something bad happens. And…that’s evolution.

--No one HAS to watch his show, but is it OK to stand by and let incorrect (and sometimes dangerous) information continue to be propagated? One point to consider --- no one HAS to read this thread (or the attached link) either. So if the title of the thread, or OP clearly seems to be a negative post about Dr. Oz and you aren’t interested in hearing negative things about him, then simply move along. If you take issue with the correctness/science/evidence behind something being posted…then play the other side --- with backup.

I don’t have to have a medical degree to be capable of deciding what’s BS and what’s not. I have a degree , understand the scientific method and approach life from a critical thinking perspective. I’m perfectly capable of seeking out reliable/peer reviewed articles/information to help me make any decision I need to. I think everyone else should do the same.

EDIT: this probably should have been a response to certain posters..instead of to the thread in general but there's too many. =D
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not supporting or throwing Dr. Oz under the bus, but who says alternative methods are all crap. Just becuase your personal doctor doesn't know about or support a particular treatment plan doesn't mean it doesn't work. My son who is now 11 would have worn a helmet for 24 hours a day when he was six months old to correct his misshapened head if I hadn't tried something that others thought was quack science. I went to a rolfer and he staighten his head out homepathically with deep tissue massage. It was non-evasive and worked. His 6 month check up with his regular doctor proved that his head was indeed better and did not require a helmet. This was not covered by insurance so I had to pay out of pocket but it was worth ever single penny to keep my baby out of helmet. Also not so long ago chiropracters were considered homepatheic and not covered by insurance either, so sometimes the medical community as a whole takes a while to catch up. You have to take all medical advice with a grain a salt and educate yourself by tons of research.
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    SQUIRREL!!!!!!