A bit about Dr. Oz.

Options

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I'm not supporting or throwing Dr. Oz under the bus, but who says alternative methods are all crap. Just becuase your personal doctor doesn't know about or support a particular treatment plan doesn't mean it doesn't work. My son who is now 11 would have worn a helmet for 24 hours a day when he was six months old to correct his misshapened head if I hadn't tried something that others thought was quack science. I went to a rolfer and he staighten his head out homepathically with deep tissue massage. It was non-evasive and worked. His 6 month check up with his regular doctor proved that his head was indeed better and did not require a helmet. This was not covered by insurance so I had to pay out of pocket but it was worth ever single penny to keep my baby out of helmet. Also not so long ago chiropracters were considered homepatheic and not covered by insurance either, so sometimes the medical community as a whole takes a while to catch up. You have to take all medical advice with a grain a salt and educate yourself by tons of research.

I'd just like to say though that massage is recognised and advocated by the medical community. Homoeopathy, is not.

Did the doctor actively dissuade you from seeking massage as a treatment or did he dissuade you from visiting a homoeopathy practitioner? Or did he not dissuade you at all, and instead just offered the helmet as the main choice for treatment?
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not supporting or throwing Dr. Oz under the bus, but who says alternative methods are all crap. Just becuase your personal doctor doesn't know about or support a particular treatment plan doesn't mean it doesn't work. My son who is now 11 would have worn a helmet for 24 hours a day when he was six months old to correct his misshapened head if I hadn't tried something that others thought was quack science. I went to a rolfer and he staighten his head out homepathically with deep tissue massage. It was non-evasive and worked. His 6 month check up with his regular doctor proved that his head was indeed better and did not require a helmet. This was not covered by insurance so I had to pay out of pocket but it was worth ever single penny to keep my baby out of helmet. Also not so long ago chiropracters were considered homepatheic and not covered by insurance either, so sometimes the medical community as a whole takes a while to catch up. You have to take all medical advice with a grain a salt and educate yourself by tons of research.

I'd just like to say though that massage is recognised and advocated by the medical community. Homoeopathy, is not.

Did the doctor actively dissuade you from seeking massage as a treatment or did he dissuade you from visiting a homoeopathy practitioner? Or did he not dissuade you at all, and instead just offered the helmet as the main choice for treatment?

She gave me two months to try different things to work it out, she's a great doctor. But if things didn't improve in the two months he would have to have the helmet. I'm just saying sometimes alternative methods work, there not all bad just because main stream hasn't heard of it. Rolfing is recognized in some circles and some chiropractors are moving towards that philosophy. But 11 years ago this was a "new" idea and some wouldn't have tried it because it was unconventional.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

She gave me two months to try different things to work it out, she's a great doctor. But if things didn't improve in the two months he would have to have the helmet. I'm just saying sometimes alternative methods work, there not all bad just because main stream hasn't heard of it. Rolfing is recognized in some circles and some chiropractors are moving towards that philosophy. But 11 years ago this was a "new" idea and some wouldn't have tried it because it was unconventional.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing your story. However, on the other swing, I don't think raspberry ketones are ever going to be proven to spot-reduce belly fat. :ohwell:
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing your story. However, on the other swing, I don't think raspberry ketones are ever going to be proven to spot-reduce belly fat. :ohwell:

Darn it all to hell. LOL Wish there was a quick fix to that belly fat. I know only 55 calorie beer, that should do it right?
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I not a forum person, but seriously? Are you guys aware of the amount of stupidity in this discussion? The man has a TV show.
    1) You're not forced to watch his TV show.
    2) It's his TV show, he can do whatever the **** he wants.
    3) If someone dies because of him it's their own damn fault.

Like, seriously? Who the hell is stupid to the point of risking their life because of a guy on TV? It was your choice to watch the show and it was your choice to **** up. If I go on TV and tell you to buy a sword and start killing people with it will you do it? Of course not. If you don't have the judgement to make health related decisions and you do them based on a freaking TV show you shouldn't even be allowed to own a TV.

Three words: Code of Ethics.

Two words: Hippocratic Oath.
    "First, do no harm."

The man should have his licence yanked.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Is he related to the Wizard of Oz?
    He IS the Wizard of Oz....
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    People watch him, cause Oprah says so, his weightloss tips work wonders for her!

LOL!!!!!!!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I went into GNC and as a free thing they handed me a magazine with Dr Oz's daughter on the front. I told them I dont want anything that has that mans name on it in my house. He is the biggest sell out/quack on the planet when it has come to health especially lately. The guys at GNC were in awe - they were omg someone who isnt brainwashed by his moronic nonsense.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hate going in to the office anymore, so I usually work from home a lot these days, but near me is a lot of religious people at work. I refer to it as the bible belt. When they're not praising Jesus, they're praising dr. Oz. The raspberry ketones thing came up quite a few times. Don't dare tell a dr. Oz fan that raspberry ketones don't work. Also don't discuss the gravitational lensing effect caused by a supermassive black hole in the bible belt either. Hmm or mention the fact that the spear of destiny carried by bishop Adhemar in the siege of Jerusalem during the first crusade was a fake either. Nevermind the fact that the normans, who constantly teased the franks about it being a fake, were actually inside Constantinople and met the emperor who already had one before they even left for Antioch. Experience talking here folks.

WOW> How did we go from Dr. Oz to Constantinople!? Even Evil Kinevil couldnt make that jump!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Someone on here said "Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician" and goes on to talk about how wrong he is. I love this in that there are quite a few people on MFP that parade their accreditations and certifications in order to make their opinions more important than everyone else.

And isn't every doctor pushing a certain pill or drug company in turn for cruises, pushbacks, commissions, or for govt grants and funding...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sorry Gas, couldn't resist!!!
    (high five)
  • People watch him because so many think there is that magic pill somewhere that will solve all their problems.

so freaking true, there is no magic anything, you have work hard and be diligent and then good stuff happens for you.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    U guys r jus jalous tat hes on tv and has muney
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Someone on here said "Dr. Oz is a Harvard-educated cardiac physician" and goes on to talk about how wrong he is. I love this in that there are quite a few people on MFP that parade their accreditations and certifications in order to make their opinions more important than everyone else.

And isn't every doctor pushing a certain pill or drug company in turn for cruises, pushbacks, commissions, or for govt grants and funding...

THIS!!!!!!!

Doctors nowadays are just over-glorified pharmacists...

(figured id stir up the pot some more.... people arent angry enough)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options

This.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    U guys r jus jalous tat hes on tv and has muney
    ya him and ohpruh rich basturdz
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I guess I must live under a rock... I have no idea who Dr. Oz is...