Hubs thinks my weight goal is too much

Options

Replies

• wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and started at 156 my goal is 125 but my real goal in mind is to stay around 125-130 just start your journey and see how you feel I am at 138 now and I am feeling so much better about myself I mean I still want to lose but I wouldn't want to go overboard with it. I think that our bodies will let us know when we have reached our perfect weight when we feel great about ourselves and are still HEALTHY not underweight just because we like the number. If my body wont let me get to my ideal number that is ok with me because I am now in the healthy range for my height and weight so I am just going with the flow.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    People have different body frames, so a 110 pound 5'4 person might still look healthy. I would just keep on with your weight loss. Your mind might change as the weight comes off. Or you might change directions... (e.g. Aiming for a 26" waist, 15% body fat, etc).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, OP, I'm happy to see you took everyone's advice and have already changed your weight goal

Second, I'm so glad to see all the great responses about the number on the scale not being the be-all end-all! Great to see so many smart folks who understand that body type, muscle mass, etc can impact your end result!

My hubs had the opposite reaction when I announced my goal weight of 158. He actually asked how come I wasn't going to try to go lower than that and the number he proposed was in the 120's. I just laughed - at 5'7", with a medium/large frame, I'd be skin and bones at 120! In fact, the last time I had my body fat % measured, I figured out that my body mass without the fat was about 120 pounds so anything under 140 would be super skinny for me.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    When you went to My Body gallery did you look at the actual weights? I just did and most of the pictures are 115-119. Look at the very few that are 110--they are really really thin..is that really what you are looking for?
  • kala_rebecca
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I set my goal weight at the highest healthy BMI weight -145 lbs. I reached goal not that long ago, and I am happy where I am. I started at 225 lbs. I have an hourglass shape and I wear a US size 6-8 (due in part to vanity sizing lol).

It's up to what you're comfortable with, though. I'd personally recommend reaching a higher goal weight and then seeing if you want to go lower. I have a larger body frame so 145 lbs works for me, but it's all a matter of perspective.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently 180ish. With that said, at my largest I was 280. I've always been a bigger girl.

I personally can't imagine being 110lbs. I feel like I would deathly.

I like having curves. I like my boobs and my *kitten*. I've started weight training and I like my muscles too.

110 lbs doesn't give you boobs and *kitten* and muscles.

:happy:
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and have set my goal to 115-130
    The smallest I have ever been is 115. You are taller than I am so I would say maybe 120-130. Honestly though as you get closer to those numbers look at yourself and see if you need to lose more or not. Everyones body is different.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I agree with the hubby. Besides, he may like your curves.

Good luck.

Curves =/= fat

Thank you.

Im not sure what Curves =/= fat means...are you suggesting that being curvy actually means you are fat?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Curves =/= fat

Thank you.

Im not sure what Curves =/= fat means...are you suggesting that being curvy actually means you are fat?

No. I'm saying you can be thin and curvy.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When you went to My Body gallery did you look at the actual weights? I just did and most of the pictures are 115-119. Look at the very few that are 110--they are really really thin..is that really what you are looking for?

What is My body gallery?
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think your hub is right, that sounds too skinny. I'm 5' 1.5" and am currently 122lbs and only have another 3lbs to my goal, but I would not only look very thin at 110 but would find it really, really difficult to get to that never mind maintain. Now I have a large frame, so maybe that's why.
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This is how you figure out what your lowest body weight should be : If you are a woman, at 5 feet you should weigh no less than 105 add 5 pounds for every inch after that, so at 5'4" you should weigh 120 at the lowest, because of different body types sometimes more is OK too. 110 is probably too low for you.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    This is how you figure out what you should weigh if you are a woman. at 5 feet you should weigh 105 add 5 pounds for every inch after that, so at 5'4" you should weigh 120, 110 is probably too low.

But that's very general. Everyone has a different bone structure and different body fat percent. Some very fit 5'4" women weight 150+ if they have a lower body fat percentage :)
  • jamielee0704
    jamielee0704 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i look at the spectrum of what is considered healthy for my height. I also think about what age was i when i saw 110 on the scale? like.. highschool....middle school... i doubt i'll ever be that tiny again.
    you have to think about your body shape and whether or not your frame can be that small. Also consider, muscle and fat percentage. you have to be realistic and know that you may never be 110 again. but you can LOOK that tiny if you put muscle in your body and lose the weight right. I dont think its a problem to have a goal to lose 100lbs. But once you get closer to that goal you'll be able to assess whether its realistic or not. Until you're close, you'll never know if its something you can achieve. but i say, shoot for your goal now, and you can redefine it once you get closer.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    Your goal should be to get HEALTHY and FIT, not trying to reach a specific number of lbs lost... talk with your doctor and see where he/she feels the best weight for you to be at. That is the number you should be looking at, not the lowest number you saw on the chart.
  • Motivated_Mama
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies so maybe this has already been said, but when I decided on my goal weight, I used the formula of 100 pounds plus 5 pounds per inch over 5 feet. For you, that would be 120 pounds. For me, that would be 125-130 as I'm 5'5" - 5'6". My actual goal weight is 135 since I am large chested and 140 while I am still breastfeeding. I was 140 before kids. You have to figure in your own personal frame and past into the equation.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options

Good luck.

Curves =/= fat

Thank you.

No. I'm saying you can be thin and curvy.

Ah phew, i hoped that would be it!! Sorry, i didnt mean to offend :smile:
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I just went on mybodygallery.com and wow, it really shows how different everybodys bodies really are at the same weights.
    Its actually quite an eye opener, im glad i looked.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i'm 4'11" and my dr doesn't really care what my goal weight is. my highest weight has been 163 lbs. so, my goal is 135, but my ultimate goal is 130. if i was to try to get to the BMI weight range of 114-124, i would have to starve myself for the rest of my life and exercise 8hrs/day everyday like on the BL show. i won't do that, and my husband would be angry with me if i looked anorexic like my mother. so, i figure when i get to 135, i will maintain that for a year before i decide if i am going to try for 130.
    point being, your husband is right. choose a more reasonable goal, then maintain that, and figure out if you could reasonably and without great difficulty, maintain a weight of 110. i don't know you, and i apologize if i am speaking out of term, but you need to listen to your husband. he knows what healthy is for you.