Why do men not see clutter?

Options
foxy2311
foxy2311 Posts: 179
I wake up this morning to my living room having basically been treated as if it is my fiance's closet! a pair of shorts in the middle of the floor, two pairs of shoes my the couch, a belt on the floor and a hats, etc. Drive me nuts. Why can't guys pick up after themselves! It doesn't take that much energy to put things away!

I hate picking up after a grown man.

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence countered with anecdotal evidence: I am meticulously organized.
    -wtk
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wish my husband didn't notice clutter!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Very very very short attention span. All males seem to drop those clothes and seconds later they are blind to it and have their attention on something else. Keep a garbage bag in the room....and every time he drops his stuff put it in the bag.....eventually he will wonder where his stuff went......and you can point at the bag, lol.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    It's not confined to guys. Women are equally as likely to create clutter. Maybe ask him to put stuff away if it bothers you/

JM
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Your fiancé is a man. There are different ones.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    guys see the clutter but do not think it is a big deal. Cleaning is done when you reach a critical mass OR people are coming over. Never at any other time.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The one's I have known don't see it unless it's not their things (the children's for instance). However, that's one area in a relationship I give some slack on.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    cant condemn all men to that, ive known women who were just complete animals and lived like pigs and I myself cant even sleep if I know I have dirty dishes in my sink not sure why I just love everything to be very organized and clean
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    my wife and I are similar in that we are both kind of messy. It makes it easier that we both don't care so much, but admittedly, our house is a little more cluttered.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's our optic nerve. It doesn't differentiate shapes as well, so clutter becomes part of the floor. It also explains why we don't notice hair changes, new clothes, or other things. Our brains adapt quickly to the status quo, so quickly that we sometimes miss the transition.

This is also why we find you beautiful first thing in the morning when your hair is mussed up and you describe yourself as "a wreck". It's just the status quo.

:laugh:
  • foxy2311
    Options
    Very very very short attention span. All males seem to drop those clothes and seconds later they are blind to it and have their attention on something else. Keep a garbage bag in the room....and every time he drops his stuff put it in the bag.....eventually he will wonder where his stuff went......and you can point at the bag, lol.

lol! I should try this!
  • foxy2311
    Options
    It's not confined to guys. Women are equally as likely to create clutter. Maybe ask him to put stuff away if it bothers you/

JM
    '
    I have, believe me.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I like clutter. MY husband hates it.
  • foxy2311
    Options
    The one's I have known don't see it unless it's not their things (the children's for instance). However, that's one area in a relationship I give some slack on.

I usually don't say anything for a couple times, but then I'll ask for a couple times....To be fair he mowed the lawn last evening and was watching the Nuggets game when I went to bed and I guess jus stripped on his way to the shower before coming to bed. lol. I just picked stuff up and put it in our spare room (his closet, lol)
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not always Men..... I am the clean freak, my wife is the clutter queen at our house.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Patiently waiting for the retaliatory "Why do women not...." thread.

Because one bad generalization based on gender deserves another.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Oh they see it but if they admit it they would have to clean it up.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've got a wife and two young girls. I love them to bits but I see clutter everywhere and hardly any of it is mine. I get home from work and basically pick crap up and put it away until it's time for the girls to go to bed.
  • foxy2311
    Options
    Patiently waiting for the retaliatory "Why do women not...." thread.

Because one bad generalization based on gender deserves another.

I understand not all men....my ex brother in law was the most anal clean freak I'd ever known.

I just can't stand clutter
  • foxy2311
    Options
    Oh they see it but if the admit it they would have to clean it up.

lol