Why do men not see clutter?

Options

Replies

• adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Due to faulty wiring in the brain , God had to make woman with a perfectly wired brain to point the clutter out! Don't get me wrong, I love men dearly, it just seems to be a genetic thing in most, not all. :laugh:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have asked my husband this, he can walk through the house and not notice one thing, I will walk thru and notice at least 10. He says he really just doesn't think about it. I'm thinking because his mom didn't really keep a clean house so clutter is normal to him :grumble:

This could be true of my guy. He grew up in a house with 3 siblings and many foster children coming through over the years. Although his mom was a most fabulous mom and a stay at home parent, I'm sure it must've been difficult to keep a clutter free home. I know his sister's house is the same way

It is hard...we have four and I'm constantly trying to keep it organized...feels like a never ending battle *sigh*
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely goes both ways - I'm responsible for about 95% of the junk in our house (with the exception of my office, which seems to remain magically immaculate somehow). Although he doesn't make as much mess, my fiancé is equally as uninterested in actually tidying up.

And this is why we have a cleaner!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has a fiance that does all the cleaning in the house?? lol

I cook, he cleans. The only thing he doesn't do is the bath tub... He does it all - dishes, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, garbage, etc etc.... he also does the lawn work.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has a fiance that does all the cleaning in the house?? lol

I cook, he cleans. The only thing he doesn't do is the bath tub... He does it all - dishes, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, garbage, etc etc.... he also does the lawn work.

I don't do all the cleaning, but it's certainly a shared effort in out house.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had this problem after we moved in together, and I almost left him over it a couple of times. He used to leave his dirty dishes all over the house and dump his dirty clothes on the floor NEXT TO the laundry basket. He "played stupid" when it came to operating the washing machine and dishwasher, but he's doing a lot better with it now. He helps me clean up more if I just ask nicely. I try not to nag too much. Just be patient and be reasonable. Explain why it's rude to make you clean up his stuff and ask nicely.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    We men are not all like that. I personally can not stand a messy house. It even irritates me to have two dishes in the sink. My ex girlfriend was a complete pig and I always was picking up after her. Clothes everywhere, never doing dishes and so forth. Do what I use to do, I would pick up her clothes and throw them outside on the patio. That sure stopped pretty quick. I just can't stand messy people.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Blanket statement......Ruins your point!
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options

He does all the lawn work, and he takes out the trash. We typically split the cooking/dishes. But I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know where the vacuum and dusting stuff is at lol. He's not vacuumed once in the two 1/2 years that we've lived together. But he is the who cleans the bathroom. I guess we split up the work fairly evenly...I just wish he'd pick up after his own stuff more often.

This thread is helpful to put some things in perspective. Thanks all :)
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Vile witch hath cast a spell on her beloved!!! Get the pitch forks!!!! Set up the pyre before she can infect the rest of us!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Your fiancé is a man. There are different ones.

HA! Well said, you! :flowerforyou: :laugh:
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    guys see the clutter but do not think it is a big deal. Cleaning is done when you reach a critical mass OR people are coming over. Never at any other time.
    I agree with this, though I am a woman. "Critical mass" just has a different definition to different people. I ... am very forgiving, haha :)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    meh, it dont bother me
    I love cleaning and picking up after my boys
    and it burns cals!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

I do this along with the cooking, bills, child nuturing, maintenance of the home (repair, painting, etc.) grocery shopping, and other errands. And I wouldn't change a thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I'm a firm believer in it's how men are raised...sounds like your honey had an awesome mom who taught him to take care of things!
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    meh, it dont bother me
    I love cleaning and picking up after my boys
    and it burns cals!

So true :)
  • modepurple
    modepurple Posts: 1
    Options
    We're not all like that !
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Lol, we all aren't like that...I hate clutter myself :P
  • mlbrowninsc
    mlbrowninsc Posts: 22
    Options
    OP, what you describe in your post is how I feel about my wife sometimes, lol. I can't stand clutter, she could care less. Over our 19 years together though, I have learned that it's never going to change, so instead of fighting about it I just pick up stuff around the house daily and throw it all in a pile on her side of the closet. She complains about that every now and then, but I ignore it.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I notice you say fiance and my advice is that this trait will NEVER change! If you can't get used to it before the wedding, it will be a constant argument during a marriage. I didn't realize how bad my husband was before we got married, because we didn't live together first. He's definitely not a cleaner or an organizer and borderlines on being a hoarder and if not for me always moving his crap and picking up after him I'm pretty sure he would be one! I usually feel that I pick up and clean after him more than I do our 9 and 5yo sons!