Is Hooters kid friendly?

Options

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

You're right, I must be missing something...... I have read the posts about Hooters objectifying women. Last I knew they worked there by choice. And for what I've read many of them are in college, working towards a better future.

Hmmm... is it really a choice though? In this economic climate, where there are hardly any jobs going, and especially if these girls have to pay for college?
    It's like people that strip to feed their kids, is it really choice or the just that they're willing to do it for money?

Plus there's the whole argument that women have it so constantly drummed into them that their only value is their body, so if girls are truly made to believe their body is the only worthwhile thing about them (whether consciously or subconsciously), isn't it a really roundabout way of exploitation? It's not really choice if you're brainwashed into it.

Either way, society is the problem, hooters being a small small symptom of the disease, but if we want to raise a new generation of sons and daughters that respect each other and don't judge/objectify based on gender, then no, taking them to a place that objectifies its workers (whether they "choose" to be objectified or not) is probably not a good idea.

I do see your point, I really do.

And I agree that young women (and men) need to be taught to value themselves and that there is more to them than what's on the outside and what they can flaunt. I totally agree on that.

However, I still stand by my claim the bigger deal that parents make out of it, the bigger deal kids will make out of it. Praise what you want your kids to look up to (high values, good grades, social responsibility, etc, etc), and calmly discuss, not judge, those things that you don't want your kids to get into. My opinion, of course.

I also agree to a point with macpatti about not wanting to go there due to the overall atmosphere - but that can also depend on the individual Hooter's and the time of day. When I was there it was the middle of the day, middle of the week, and not a whole lot on TV to watch, so not many other customers who were there cussing and carrying on (in fact none that I remembered at all).

I don't think it's a big deal to just not go :L

since when did kids desperately want to go to hooters? Take them other places as a treat :L

You shouldn't shield kids from these things(like it's even possible in a culture where women are sexualised and objectified everywhere you look), but you should explain (obviously in simple terms) why it is wrong.
    And I think that it's healthy for little kids to see their parents naked or at least semi naked in the home, as it teaches them nudity and/or body parts (especially breasts) isn't always a sexual thing. It also gives them realistic views of the human body that they won't get in places like hooters, where they employ hot girls.

There's trying to hide your child away from the world, then there's deliberately exposing them to it. You can't explain to your daughter that she should be respected and judged for her personality, then decide to take her somewhere where women are judged for their bodies. Equally you can't tell your son to respect women then take him to an environment where men sit and look at the waitresses and judge them for their bodies.
    However I do agree that children will be exposed to such things, and it can't really be avoided without locking them away and not letting them have life experience.

So basically, educate your kids on gender issues and sexuality (again age appropriate) but you shouldn't specifically expose them to these kinds of places, as it kinda contradicts those lessons.
  • dibley_98
    dibley_98 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    How many plus size waitresses do suppose are employed by Hooters?

I would not take my kids there.

Carry on...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I don't think Hooter's is customer friendly. My last experience there was not a good one. I won't go to Hooter's again. Service was bad. Orders were wrong. We had a party of about 12. Took about an hour for the first person's order to arrive and then over an hour before all the orders were served, except my daughters'. It never came.

That particular Hooters went out of business within a year. A cute gal in a tight t-shirt does not necessarily make a good watress.

I don't order dinner in a strip club and I no longer go to a restaurant because the waitresses jump up and dance on tables once in a while
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I take my kids to Hooters. I think it's wonderful for them to see where Mommy works.

KIDDING!
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    many people bring their kids there. personally, i would not. same reason i wouldn't take my kids to a restaurant that catered to women who want to ogle hot guys. it's not the type of family environment i prefer. shielding my kids from reality? ummmm, that's not MY reality. i'd rather take them to a cool indian or greek or french restaurant and expose them to other cultures and make it a learning experience- but we are a nerdy family. we watch jeopardy for fun every night. to each their own.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I take my son to Hooters. He likes to relfect
    on the good ol' days.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    take kids there? I don't even take ME there. Tacky atmosphere, lousy fried food...who needs it?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband chose Hooter's for his birthday dinner and we took our 9 yo grandson along. I'm not sure I'd deem it "kid friendly" but I do not consider it detrimental to the child to eat there. At least no more so than any other restaurant that offers so few healthy options.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many plus size waitresses do suppose are employed by Hooters?

I would not take my kids there.

Carry on...

I have a plus size friend that applied for a job at Hooters. They did not outwardly discriminate. They said she could have the job if she wanted it, but their uniforms only come in size 4. (true story)
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think Hooters food is gross, but if I liked it, I would take my teenagers there. They are gonna see it one way or another...
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I personally wouldn't go, more for the fact the menu doesn't interest me and I hear mixed reviews on it anyway, but I don't think I'd flip if when/if I have a kid, the dad or a relative or someone takes them there. It's not really aimed to be a family place, but it's not a cheap skin show place either. That and I would expect the waitresses to have training regarding behavior when kids are present at their assigned tables.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Wild Wings. Enuff said.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what people's thoughts on this were? I personally wouldn't take any children in there as I feel that is an "adult" environment. What about you? Would you take your children to a place like Hooters?

Chicken wings served by girls in shorts and a tank top isn't kid friendly??

Well to be honest my three boys get served dinner daily from someone in a tank top and short shorts so I guess I don't see the issue?!?!?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    take kids there? I don't even take ME there. Tacky atmosphere, lousy fried food...who needs it?

Agree. I don't like sport bars or their menu either.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It might be kid-friendly but why would you take your kids there? I'm a adult and I don't want to go there. Why would my kids?

BTW Why isn't there any "Big Weiners" restaurants that sell their fare based on flaunting their servers' manly parts? Their uniform could be banana hammocks. And then I could write a post asking everyone if it's ok to bring my kids with me... ya know, because their food is just so darn good. *rolling eyes*
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It might be kid-friendly but why would you take your kids there? I'm a adult and I don't want to go there. Why would my kids?

BTW Why isn't there any "Big Weiners" restaurants that sell their fare based on flaunting their servers' manly parts? Their uniform could be banana hammocks. And then I could write a post asking everyone if it's ok to bring my kids with me... ya know, because their food is just so darn good. *rolling eyes*

When I comoplained about my experience to the Hooter's Manager, he was a pretty "big weiner" about it.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I prefer Beavers anyway, the food is much better. For picnics and such they have a box lunch.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/hooters-sacramento

according to yelp it is not (at least not the one in Sacramento)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yep, and I have.

They are actually very kid friendly. The waitresses are always sweet, they have a kids menu and my son gets a balloon. He likes going there and we don't make a fuss over how the people dress. Kids tend to notice those things MORE when you make a big deal about it. I would rather take him there than a place with a dress code and ****ty, snobby people.

That being said, the food is not very good. So we don't go there often.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I once went to a 4 year old birthday party there. I thought it was a mix of ghettttto and hilarious. He had a huge crush on one of the girls there so he demanded a party there. LMAO! Their food is disgusting.