Is Hooters kid friendly?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have before. I probably wont again. I don't like hooters and it has nothing to do with how the waitresses are dressed. Although the uniforms are pretty ugly.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    hey kids, I'm gonna take you to a place that objectifies women and teaches you breasts are first and foremost a sexual object for men to drool over :D

yayyyyyyy!

We don't have hooters here, and I'm not sure the issue with taking your kids there is the clothing (the comments say they seem well covered up) but rather the idea behind it.
    It's a place where you're served by sexy girls with big tits right?
    Why would you wanna teach your daughter that it's okay to be objectified like that, and that her breasts are for the pleasure of men and not for her own pleasure and feeding babies - and why would you want to teach your son that women are simply there to look good and serve you?
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'd take a kid there. The Hooters uniform is more conservative than any outfit you'd see in my town's high school anyway, and our waitresses have only ever been ditzy, not skanky. The food's kind of gross, but that's another issue.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I've been to Hooters many times, the one time I went and this jerkoff we were with tried flirting with the waitress the manager came over and asked him to leave.
    I understand not wanting to take kids to a restaurant/bar because of the atmosphere but please don't lump Hooters into some seedy bar with creepers. See above for clothing description.
    There are tons of other restaurants were the girls have less covered up but because they aren't called "Hooters" it's not that big of deal.
    No, I don't think all the customers there are seedy/creepy. In fact, I've never seen someone there I'd consider a creeper. I've seen plenty of flirting going on there, which is fine because everyone is having fun and it's mutual. Hooters can be a really fun place to go for beer and wings and watch sporting events. I don't think of it as some seedy bar at all. I just don't think it's an appropriate atmosphere for children, that's all. Again, not JUST because of how the waitresses dress or that the whole notion of the restaurant is to put their waitresses on display. It has to do with the ENTIRE atmosphere. I don't want my children hearing a steady flow of cussing, so it would be ridiculous of me to take them there and then be offended because other customers are cussing. If I'm at Chuck E. Cheese and a table full of people is cussing, I may say something there. That's all I mean when I say I wouldn't take my kids there.
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    Ughhh Hooters.. they have horrible food and then theres girls... we need a place with good food and Hot Men =) sounds more fun.. and no kids LOL

Oh yeah! I'm with you on that :drinker:
  • macpatti
    Options
    hey kids, I'm gonna take you to a place that objectifies women and teaches you breasts are first and foremost a sexual object for men to drool over :D

yayyyyyyy!

We don't have hooters here, and I'm not sure the issue with taking your kids there is the clothing (the comments say they seem well covered up) but rather the idea behind it.
    Why would you wanna teach your daughter that it's okay to be objectified like that, and that her breasts are for the pleasure of men and not for her own pleasure and feeding babies - and why would you want to teach your son that women are simply there to look good and serve you?
    How many minutes until someone jumps in and says you're just jealous? :laugh:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

yayyyyyyy!

How many minutes until someone jumps in and says you're just jealous? :laugh:

a ken right? Because all I want to do with my time is go to a bar and watch women be treated as second class citizens whose only values are their bodies, it's so guttin living in a city where I can get wasted for 15 quid and have a great time with my friends. And also good food. Without feeling like a sexual object. I mean you just canna have it all...
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    When I drive thru any college town I will be sure to shield my daughter's eyes (will be hard while steering, but I will manage) so she can't see how many college girls dress today (notice I didn't say 'all' so put away the tar and feathers). Skin tight pants, revealing tops....and worse. Heck, I saw more @ss crack at the grocery story the other day from men who have no concept of properly fitting clothing. I'd rather my daughter see the girls at Hooters than the nasty @ss crack guys.

Seems to me the bigger deal parents make about it the more taboo kids will think it is. Maybe it's just me.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I take my neice and nephew to Hooters. Even with what the girls are wearing, they can't even BEGIN to compete with the women in my family. :noway:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I've been to Hooters many times, the one time I went and this jerkoff we were with tried flirting with the waitress the manager came over and asked him to leave.
    I understand not wanting to take kids to a restaurant/bar because of the atmosphere but please don't lump Hooters into some seedy bar with creepers. See above for clothing description.
    There are tons of other restaurants were the girls have less covered up but because they aren't called "Hooters" it's not that big of deal.
    No, I don't think all the customers there are seedy/creepy. In fact, I've never seen someone there I'd consider a creeper. I've seen plenty of flirting going on there, which is fine because everyone is having fun and it's mutual. Hooters can be a really fun place to go for beer and wings and watch sporting events. I don't think of it as some seedy bar at all. I just don't think it's an appropriate atmosphere for children, that's all. Again, not JUST because of how the waitresses dress or that the whole notion of the restaurant is to put their waitresses on display. It has to do with the ENTIRE atmosphere. I don't want my children hearing a steady flow of cussing, so it would be ridiculous of me to take them there and then be offended because other customers are cussing. If I'm at Chuck E. Cheese and a table full of people is cussing, I may say something there. That's all I mean when I say I wouldn't take my kids there.

Ok gotcha. I misunderstood.
  • macpatti
    Options
    When I drive thru any college town I will be sure to shield my daughter's eyes (will be hard while steering, but I will manage) so she can't see how many college girls dress today (notice I didn't say 'all' so put away the tar and feathers). Skin tight pants, revealing tops....and worse. Heck, I saw more @ss crack at the grocery story the other day from men who have no concept of properly fitting clothing. I'd rather my daughter see the girls at Hooters than the nasty @ss crack guys.

Seems to me the bigger deal parents make about it the more taboo kids will think it is. Maybe it's just me.
    I think you're missing the point many of us are trying to make. It's not just about what the waitresses wear. It's not about "shielding our children from reality". It's about much more than that.
  • JoolieW68
    Options

I think you're missing the point many of us are trying to make. It's not just about what the waitresses wear. It's not about "shielding our children from reality". It's about much more than that.

You're right, I must be missing something...... I have read the posts about Hooters objectifying women. Last I knew they worked there by choice. And for what I've read many of them are in college, working towards a better future.
  • macpatti
    Options
    You're right, I must be missing something...... I have read the posts about Hooters objectifying women. Last I knew they worked there by choice. And for what I've read many of them are in college, working towards a better future.
    Good grief. It's about whether the restaurant itself is a decent place to take children. I suggest it is not (for me and my family), for many reasons. You're making it just about how the waitresses are dressed and I'm trying to say it's not just that. And last time I checked, the whole idea behind Hooters in the first place was to scantily dress women to draw in a certain crowd. Of course they work there by choice, and who cares WHY they work there? That's not all we're discussing here.
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Good grief. It's about whether the restaurant itself is a decent place to take children. I suggest it is not (for me and my family), for many reasons. You're making it just about how the waitresses are dressed and I'm trying to say it's not just that. And last time I checked, the whole idea behind Hooters in the first place was to scantily dress women to draw in a certain crowd. Of course they work there by choice, and who cares WHY they work there? That's not all we're discussing here.

There's no need to get riled up. We just have differing opinions.

Have a nice day.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    Options

Hmmm... is it really a choice though? In this economic climate, where there are hardly any jobs going, and especially if these girls have to pay for college?
    It's like people that strip to feed their kids, is it really choice or the just that they're willing to do it for money?

Plus there's the whole argument that women have it so constantly drummed into them that their only value is their body, so if girls are truly made to believe their body is the only worthwhile thing about them (whether consciously or subconsciously), isn't it a really roundabout way of exploitation? It's not really choice if you're brainwashed into it.

Either way, society is the problem, hooters being a small small symptom of the disease, but if we want to raise a new generation of sons and daughters that respect each other and don't judge/objectify based on gender, then no, taking them to a place that objectifies its workers (whether they "choose" to be objectified or not) is probably not a good idea.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    dan_hooters.jpg
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... never been... I heard their wings suck... but if that's where everyone wanted to go, why not? It's not like they aren't waitressing in pasties and a g-string... honestly, not that critical... and having lived in Europe as a child, I (and ever other child) saw way more sexuality and "nakedness" on commercials for body wash than you would at Hooters and I (nor my brothers or any other kid I know) having any issues...

Honestly, I'm kinda tiring of this puritanical belief that woman are these A-sexual, yet super sexually tempting objects... if women want to work in a sports bar and wear clothing that is more than the Cowboys Cheerleaders wear, then go for it. If you take your kids to a pro-ball game where there are scantily clad women who are "dancing and strutting" for the whole for the whole stadium and tv watchers to see, then why won't you take them to a resturant with women more covered up? There isn't much difference in my opinion.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Okay, as my friends and I are in our mid 20's we frequent hooters a lot during football season. It's not the waitresses that I feel is inappropriate because they wear shorts and t shirts. It's a table like ours with 10 young adults cussing and cutting up during a sports game. In my defense, that's the general atmosphere with most of the tables older men, college kids and working people getting rowdy at something the ref called. In my head, I feel like I have to censor myself because there's a family with young children sitting in the middle of the patio.

Ha! I agree. I don't care for Hooters, but if I'm going to a sports bar to drink, watch the game, and cuss at the TV, I prefer not having kids around and feeling like I need to censor myself lol.

ETA: I guess it depends on the age of the kid. Babies and toddlers are too young to care; older teens are old enough to understand. The other kids, I don't know.

One time I went, it was during a play off game. We had two tables with 10 - 15 people as some friends came and left throughout the game. The entire patio was decked out in gear, drinking beer and having a good time when a family with 4 kids from a baby to probably 10 or so come sit right in the middle of everyone. I'm like, seriously?
  • JoolieW68
    Options

Hmmm... is it really a choice though? In this economic climate, where there are hardly any jobs going, and especially if these girls have to pay for college?
    It's like people that strip to feed their kids, is it really choice or the just that they're willing to do it for money?

Plus there's the whole argument that women have it so constantly drummed into them that their only value is their body, so if girls are truly made to believe their body is the only worthwhile thing about them (whether consciously or subconsciously), isn't it a really roundabout way of exploitation? It's not really choice if you're brainwashed into it.

Either way, society is the problem, hooters being a small small symptom of the disease, but if we want to raise a new generation of sons and daughters that respect each other and don't judge/objectify based on gender, then no, taking them to a place that objectifies its workers (whether they "choose" to be objectified or not) is probably not a good idea.

I do see your point, I really do.

And I agree that young women (and men) need to be taught to value themselves and that there is more to them than what's on the outside and what they can flaunt. I totally agree on that.

However, I still stand by my claim the bigger deal that parents make out of it, the bigger deal kids will make out of it. Praise what you want your kids to look up to (high values, good grades, social responsibility, etc, etc), and calmly discuss, not judge, those things that you don't want your kids to get into. My opinion, of course.

I also agree to a point with macpatti about not wanting to go there due to the overall atmosphere - but that can also depend on the individual Hooter's and the time of day. When I was there it was the middle of the day, middle of the week, and not a whole lot on TV to watch, so not many other customers who were there cussing and carrying on (in fact none that I remembered at all).
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have with taking kids to Hooters is that it is getting seriously hard to find a place to go out to that isn't swarming with kids. I don't think it's harmful to the children, if that's what you meant, but is it really such a big deal to leave one place where a person doesn't have to put up with other people's kids?