Why the scale goes UP with a new workout program- MUST READ

Options

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this....I really needed to know this!! :)
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I <3 my DOMS.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have heard this before and love the explanation. I started P90X two and a half weeks ago and love it so far but the scale has (as you explained) increased slightly. I'm hoping this goes away soon because I am part of a professional cheer team that has me contracted to remain at a specific weight and I don't think handing this article to the coach is gonna cut it :grumble:
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is just what needed today. I was disappointed to see only 1 lb lost this week, but I'm sore all over from a couple of workouts on my Bowflex (first time I've used it in several months) and some unusual manual labor.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to read - Thanks for sharing! This explanation makes sense - Our bodies are trying to help us.
  • skinnygirlhiding1
    skinnygirlhiding1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I started 30 day shred a few weeks ago. My weight since then has been bouncing back and forth. I was so depressed to see a gain. It went back down & now I only lost .2 pounds.
    Thanks so explaining this. I feel much better now.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty intense exercise day yesterday at work and at the gym, and I'm just about to head down to the scale. I'm also ravenously hungry this morning for the first time in weeks. Let's go see what the scale says... Up maybe a pound (but I'm using my old analog scale, so it's just on the HIGH side of 237, instead of the LOW side. :)

Still, very reassuring to be reminded of this. Remember your body is going to want to refuel to rebuild, too.
  • EliBond
    EliBond Posts: 23
    Options
    Makes so much sense!! Thank you for sharing! =D
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you made my day! :happy: thank you for sharing
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I had heard this is what happened but like seeing it from a professional so I can feel it's not just bro science.

I wonder if this can be a constant process. I am always sore because I'm always pushing it up a notch. As soon as an exercise becomes comfortable I'm pushing to a higher weight, higher resistance, faster, farther something. I haven't lost any pounds in 6 or so weeks. I have lost inches so I know I'm getting more muscles which are replacing the weight of the fat I lose but it is still discouraging.

I also wonder if I am holding fluid from the ab surgery I had in December. The incision areas still hurt when I work out because there were cuts through the muscle and while I think the incisions are healed the muscle is still not fully recovered.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sharon,
    That pain is more than likely scar tissue. Common complaint after surgery (that long afterward)
    I'm just a paramedic though, not a doctor so I can't be 100% sure on that one. But I'm 99.9%. :)
  • MonkeyMoo08
    MonkeyMoo08 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this! I am starting a new program tomorrow (Jillian Michael's Body Revolution) and I am one of those that can get easily discouraged. Now that I have read this, I can be prepared if the scales goes up a few pounds and will push through it rather than giving up.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed today! Thank you!
  • Grissay
    Grissay Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Needed to read this. I'm doing Body Revolution and couldn't understand how I wasn't losing weight after moving into a new phase. I figured the shock would bring immediate weight-loss not fluid retaining! Thank you!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this ^_^
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump

Interesting article - thanks for sharing:)
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sharon,
    That pain is more than likely scar tissue. Common complaint after surgery (that long afterward)
    I'm just a paramedic though, not a doctor so I can't be 100% sure on that one. But I'm 99.9%. :)

Agreed. I just had my second c-section, and every time, my doctor reminds me of residual soreness, as well as the numbness in the abdominal area.
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options
    This is exatly why I stay off the scale. I initially lost my goal weight but have started doing weights and gaining muscle.
    Muscle weighs more than fat so I'm actually at my starting weight again, however, the fat is slowly leaving as I add lean muscle.
    I stopped my ticker on my profile because it was an inaccurate representation of my progress!!