Great read. Thanks for posting!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing :-)
  • ell_jay
    ell_jay Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I was getting a bit down-hearted over the scale moving up/not moving! I hope it shifts soon (:

Btw OP, I love your Supernatural ticker.. Big fan here! :D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this can be a constant process. I am always sore because I'm always pushing it up a notch. As soon as an exercise becomes comfortable I'm pushing to a higher weight, higher resistance, faster, farther something. I haven't lost any pounds in 6 or so weeks. I have lost inches so I know I'm getting more muscles which are replacing the weight of the fat I lose but it is still discouraging.

You are not alone in this. I am following the 'New Rules' heavy lifting program, and usually increase my weights every workout, or every second workout, and I am in a pretty constant state of experiencing DOMS. It's not a lovely feeling but I've gotten used to it. I think I read somewhere that some people are just more susceptible to DOMS, while other people on experience it for the first couple times starting a new routine, and then never again.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    The muscles that need to repair also become insulin resistant until they are repaired. So for diabetics, type I and type II there is a temporary increase in blood glucose levels.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks for this, I hit my goal weight earlier this week so decided to up my calories a bit and concentrate more on exercise. I've been doing crunches, squats and push ups which I didn't do before and walking more. I've also started drinking a lot more water.

Anyway, since hitting my goal weight and doing these things I've gained 3lbs. I had one day at goal weight and it's been higher every day since. I was ready to drop my calories again thinking that upping them has caused me to gain weight. After reading this I'm going to give the changes a chance. I AM sore with the exercise even though I'm not weight training so hopefully it's to do with the increased exercise and water consumption and not that I've eaten too much (I'm still below maintenance cals)

Thanks again, I learn something every day on here :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Good article.
  • SecondChance2012
    Options
    Wow! Thanks a mil for sharing the article and also the tip about blood glucose levels. I started 30 Day Shred on Tuesday and the scale has been either up a lb or 2 or stayed the same (it's fluxuating). Glad I red this before throwing in the proverbial towel on 30DS.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. Yesterday I was freaking out because I ate at a cookout, but I also walked 10 miles in 2.5 hours. My legs are crazy sore today, but the slight weight gain the scale showed this morning could be due to my legs and not the food I ate. It's a real relief. I'll be sure to remember this if I ever change up my exercise.
  • Jensaystoyou
    Options
    This might explain why my scale hasn't moved in the last 1.5 weeks. I have been exercising everyday and (most days) eating well and it is driving me insane not to see any results. It will be hard to do, but maybe I just need to put the scale away for a while.
  • marykeblom
    marykeblom Posts: 56
    Options
    thank you!!! i've been so discouraged lately and bummed that i didn't reach my goal loss for our holiday! :)
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great article
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OMG! Thank you soooo much for sharing!!!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I gained 2 lbs right after starting my Insanity work out. It took 2 weeks for this to go away and start to drop, I'm dropping very slow in pounds, but quickly in inches.
  • nmiskeen
    nmiskeen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing this. now i can understand why i h ave put weight on rather than losing it. ive started weight training and seem to have gone bigger than what i was. cheers i feel better now. ;-)
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.

I really just need to toss my scale. It causes too much drama :)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone reads this!! bumpity bump :flowerforyou:
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump tks for sharing..The scales do need to be put away for our sanity to stay intack. :)
  • Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Whoa thanks!! That makes a lot of sense!