List Of Low Calorie Foods EVERYONE should know about!!

Options

Replies

• hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brechin89
    Brechin89 Posts: 92
    Options
    These are just some (non-obvious/unknown) foods i have discovered over my years of trying to lose weight and research etc etc.!
    Comment if you've got your own low calorie food to share with everyone!

1. Miracle Noodles (0 calories!):
    this is probably the number 1 most miracle of all foods. They taste pretty much like any noodle (flavorless) except slightly chewier, which is definitively worth it for the 0 calories! you can order them on amazon, and there are a list of shops you can get them in on their official website. and they can NOT ONLY be used as noodles.. i have found a recipe online where you can use them to make 10 CALORIE COOKIES (this is the link > http://mitochondrialdepletionsyndrome.blogspot.com/p/recipes-10-calorie-miracle-chocolate.html ) so all in all, these things are pretty much da bomb.
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

2. Alpro Light Soya Milk (22cal per 100ml)
    Okay, this doesn't taste exactly like normal milk, but it is an excellent alternative if you want to add it to something (e.g: hot chocolate, cereal) and takes away so many calories. A cup of whole milk (250ml) would be 165 calories, where as a cup of this would only be 55calories, when you consider it like that it really is a big difference! Plus its is very nutritious! probably more than actual milk!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.alpro.com/country

3. Hartleys Low Calorie Jelly Pots (8.75 calories!)
    Got a sweet tooth? These are your answer! They come in various flavors: Cranberry & Raspberry, Blueberry & Blackcurrant, Mango & Passionfruit. They really do taste good too!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.hartleysjelly.com/

4.Green Tea. (0 calories)
    This is literally the best thing ever. It has so many benefits, like speeding up your metabolism. I personally always feel great after drinking it, it gives me energy! Plus it fills you up. I could go on and on and on about how much i'd recommend drinking this, just Google it and you'll see what i mean!

5.All-bran Cereal. (80calories/30g serving)
    Okay this isn't very tasty, (its pretty bland) but ill tell you why its great: it has TONSSSS of fibre in it. which 1. fills you the **** up and 2. keeps your digestive system moving. I have it with 125 ml of of the soya milk i mentioned, which is just over 100 calories! seriously great breakfast, like it fills you up soooo much sometimes i have to struggle slightly to finish the bowl! it will definitely keep you going for a good while. If you want to you could add some sugar (or sweetener), raisins, fruit, whatever to improve the flavor!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.all-bran.com/Home.aspx

6.Hovis Nimble Wholemeal Sliced Bread (50calories per slice)
    Theres nothing particularly amazing about this but the fact that 2 slices comes to 100 calories is pretty low for bread, no? compared to some white breads being 93 or so calories per slice!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.hovisbakery.co.uk/

7.Philadelphia Cream Cheese Extra Light (33 calories per 30g serving)
    As far as i know, you can get mini tubs of this too which is handy because you know that you are using the right amount! put it on some toasted Hovis Nimble bread and comes to about 130 calories, decent low calorie meal!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.philadelphia.co.uk/

8.Cadburies Highlights hot chocolate (40calories per sache)
    Overall this isn't much lower than normal hot chocolate, but again, the benefit of it is that your aware of the amount of calories you're having. Good for curing chocolate cravings. Add it to water, or 250ml of heated Alpro soya milk and it comes to 95cals!
    OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.cadbury.co.uk/ourproducts/today/Pages/productDetails.aspx?category=drinks&product=highlights

9.Any diet fizzy drink (usually 0cal)
    Im aware that most of you probably know about these haha, but just thought id throw them in for good measure, to show my appreciation for diet coke <3

10. ICE COLD water (0cal)
    okay again this is obvious i know but not only is it no calories, it fills you up and, actually BURNS calories. I'm not sure how much calories per ml exactly but I'm sure its easy for anyone to find out!

So there ya go! just thought i'd let people know about my little discoveries! I might have left someout but ill comment on this if i think of any more!

PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU'VE GOT ANY TOO! (not the obvious fruits or soup though lol, you know what i mean) I would definately appriciate it, along with others im sure.

Add me guys!!!! xxxxxx

And none of this will i eat or drink except for the water... Wish their was Brechin food on this list...
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of "fake" foods and the whole idea of 0 cal foods like the noodles doesn't really work for me (I don't see why you would ever want to eat a whole dish of something with no calories, what's the point??)

But, I do think it is worth exploring the world of fabulous herbs and spices and other items to make food more interesting - fresh coriander and basil, dried chilli, lemon zest, lime juice are some of my favourites. Just a little dash of any of them make an average meal into something special for only a few more cals.

The yam (miracle noodles) noodles are not a fake food. There are made of natural yam fiber. No more processed than a regular noodle would be. I would caution against eating a large serving at first, because they are a big serving of fiber.

The thoughts about herbs are wonderful. They can turn any veggie dish into a low calorie treat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

1. Low calorie =/= healthy

2. Healthy =/= low calorie

3. Ice cold water does NOT burn any more calories than any other temperature water. That's an old, old, old myth.
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It was a good list until number 9.
    I thought as I read that list, that number 9 would bring on some major flames. I'm glad the negative response has been so muted.

646.jpg
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is great to see that there alternatives, however all of these alternatives do not tackle the actual problem: as to why we crave those foods?

Easily digested sugars (incl. sucrose in diet drinks and foods) give us a quick boost, rather than long lasting energy.

After a long research into why some of just gain weight while others dont seem to get any, well here's why:

1. Replacing easily digestible carbs (breads, flour based products) with rice can make a drastic difference on your weight loss. Has anyone wondered why Japanese women are so slim? Well, they don't eat bread or high sugar based foods because they do not crave it! It happens because they eat a small portion of rice with every meal, and by small i mean a tiny bowl of it, this also applies to breakfast.

2. Japanese women have salads, soups, fish and meat for breakfast! This gives y

They also eat yam (miracle) noodles. Just saying.....
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kvultaggio
    kvultaggio Posts: 34
    Options
    me too! Coke Zero!
  • darcie81
    darcie81 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    for coffee,low calorie icecream, etc lovers you can have DaVinci Gourmet 0 calorie comes in a lot of favors like caramel, hazelnut, amaretto,etc. and it has NO sugar taste awesome.......

thanks for the post!! ;0)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    No, I think what everyone should know is that you should not switch to artificial food to cheat your body. When you cheat your body, you surely take away something from your life. All those artificial sweeteners, I highly doubt the body appreciates it. Well, to each his own. I will continue on portion control.

Me, too. That has been my problem for a long time. I need to learn how to manage portions for regular food.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    Spent far too long trying to like this until it hit me that this is not Facebook!

Gold star for you, fantastic list :-)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own has a honey wheat bread that is only 40 cals a slice so x2=80 calories plus all the stuff you would put in it for a sandwhich!

I use this, too. It's really good.

LaBanderita Low Carb tortillas are good, too. An 8 inch tortilla has 81 calories and only 11 g carbohydrates (5g net carb and no sugar). PLUS, it has 6 g fiber and 5 g of protein! It has 2 g fat, which isn't bad. Better still, it doesn't have that weird aftertaste that some wheat products can have imho. If you like to have a wrap or Mexican food now and again, these are fantastic!!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was spectacle about the Miracle noodles too at first, but if you go on their official site it shows various different media outlets where they've been mentioned. ( http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-news.aspx ) which includes Rachel Ray (a well known american talk show) and various magazines and news channels, along with some sucess stories. So i figure if they've been on the news, they must be legit. Lol.

I've had these...they are ok. Chewy as you mentioned. as a forewarning, they can be smelly...(since i believe they are made out stuff living in the ocean). I have to rinse them off very very well before using. I've used them in versions of spaghetti and soups.

I can now get the shiritake noodles right in my grocery, by the tofu and veggie stuff. I may give those a go as well.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I was spectacle about the Miracle noodles too at first, but if you go on their official site it shows various different media outlets where they've been mentioned. ( http://www.miraclenoodle.com/t-news.aspx ) which includes Rachel Ray (a well known american talk show) and various magazines and news channels, along with some sucess stories. So i figure if they've been on the news, they must be legit. Lol.

I've had these...they are ok. Chewy as you mentioned. as a forewarning, they can be smelly...(since i believe they are made out stuff living in the ocean). I have to rinse them off very very well before using. I've used them in versions of spaghetti and soups.

I can now get the shiritake noodles right in my grocery, by the tofu and veggie stuff. I may give those a go as well.
    They aren't made out of anything from the ocean. The traditional versions are made from konjac root, and some commercial versions are made out of conifer wood pulp (another source of glucomannan.)
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It was a good list until number 9.

agreed
  • steinbok
    steinbok Posts: 82
    Options
    Yep, good list until #9. Diet -anything that has any "sweetened chemicals" (splenda, saccharin, equal) actually makes you hungrier. It's almost as bad as drinking the sugary stuff. If you HAVE to have your diet drink, look for something with stevia in it.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Yep, good list until #9. Diet -anything that has any "sweetened chemicals" (splenda, saccharin, equal) actually makes you hungrier. It's almost as bad as drinking the sugary stuff. If you HAVE to have your diet drink, look for something with stevia in it.
    Stevia is no different than any other "sweetened chemical." If you think Stevia is good, then all of them are good. Likewise, if you think the rest are bad, then stevia is equally bad.

Stevia is just an artificial sweetener made from a leaf, that's been soaked in chemical solutions to extract a sweet compound and then ground into a powder. Not much different than how Splenda is made, just a different chemical used for soaking (Stevia uses methanol, a chemical, that, when ingested in high amounts on its own, can cause blindness and death. Did I do the scare mongering part right?)
  • morbidbones
    morbidbones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    People on the Internet this day and age really love finding any way to put people down, don't they? If you don't like the list, fine.

For the people who have recognised and thanked me for the time and effort I put in to this, youre all welcome. I am so glad to help anyone and I'm glad you appreciate it.

Another thing I forgot to put on the list

- RICE CAKES: you can get them covered in chocolate or yoghurt. Or get them plain and spread whatever you want on them, or add ham or something. Xxxxxxxx
  • Lolitasboss
    Lolitasboss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed is my favorite super low cal snack. You eat a lot well under 30 calories. Its perfect went I want something crunchy or savory. Great to replace chip-snacking!
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yep, good list until #9. Diet -anything that has any "sweetened chemicals" (splenda, saccharin, equal) actually makes you hungrier.

Then I should be STARVING. Yet I'm not.