If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You did not get to the point where you decided you wanted/needed to lead a healthier life over night, do not expect to beable to change over night but do expect to stumble often.
  • CaliDreams27
    CaliDreams27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump. Catching this at the end of my shift lol
  • plyosteph
    plyosteph Posts: 17
    Options
    So true! Especially if you're working out once or twice a day.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Before you cut calories just log in what you normally eat for two full weeks, everything that goes in your mouth. This gives you a starting point. I learned the hard way that I did not have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight, I could have cut down to 1700-1800 and lost just as easy and not harmed my metabolism.

Great advice

I agree!!!!!!! Too many ppl think they have to starve to lose & you don't!!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Don't let the jerks on the message boards steer you away!

^^This...and make your own set of friends for support
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Not sure what part of my post was attacking this hypothetical newbie, but I need an explanation k thanks.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights from the get-go! Don't worry about big losses in a short amount of time.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    When you're reading posts on the forums: THINK, REFLECT, POST.

Don't get all butthurt over nothing.
  • bethb03
    bethb03 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump!!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You must eat to survive. Move your booty. Log your food. And chocolate is not the devil.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Love yourself through all the good and the bad times. This is a journey, you will have ups and downs.
    If it were easy then it wouldn't mean as much when you reach your goal. :)

and...You WILL reach your goal, never give up!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This is a *lifestyle* NOT a "diet"...
    Have your diary open for accountability AND to give others good ideas for healthy meals!
    Slowly add healthy HABITS and wean off of the bad ones.
    Log EVERYday...even the "bad" ones.
    Find movement in your everyday life. (using the bathroom on a different floor, parking farther away, etc.)
    Find healthy friends that support you, encourage you, and set a good example
    Don't judge your success by the scale (how do your clothes fit, measure, how do you FEEL)
    If you have a bad day (week, month...etc) DON"T GIVE UP. Come back and just jump in where you are!
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Get more muscle (not body builder style, unless you want it) Muscle is denser than fat and thus when you gain muscle, you lose inches, but might weigh more. Don't Panic. Muscle also helps the body burn more calories. Put away your scale and only let it out once a week. Use your tape measure and clothing to show your progress rather than your scale. Cardio is great, but even it out with strength training.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    First and most important - You have to be TOTALLY committed to changing your life - if you are not, this lifestye change will NEVER work.

Second - Take "before" measurements, which are a better indicator of progress than the weight scale, since your weight can flucuate daily by as much as 5 pounds.

Third - get a lot of motivational friends, to keep you honest with yourself and hold you accountable for all your actions.

Fourth - Back to the First - TOTAL COMMITTMENT - Without it you might as well forget the whole thing!!!

And remember - a pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat, they are both a pound. But a pound of fat takes up more room than a pound of muscle.
  • jhcowan
    jhcowan Posts: 10
    Options
    The MFP calorie goal is probably WAY TO LOW!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Take measurements and track these every few weeks
    2. Make a plan to overcome your "cheats" (budget it into your calories, save calories, exercise more, make substitutions)
    3. Think about the 80/20 rule (Be on top of things 80% of the time, consistency is most important, one mess up isn't going to derail your entire journey)
    4. When you get to goal, don't forget what it took to get there, and keep up your healthy lifestyle. You can't go all out and lose the weight and return to your old habits and expect to keep it off.
    5. Don't forget you are living in your body "right now." Don't wait until you reach your goals to be happy, try new things or experiences. Life begins now, not when you "lose the weight."
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump! Need to get back to work!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    . Eating a good amount of protein and fiber will fill you up, and make this soooo much easier, so your not forever hungry.
    . 1200 is way to low.
    . Do it for YOU. Nobody else!
    . Even though exercise is hard at first, it gets easier! You'll grow to love it.
    Log EVERYTHING.
    . Drink your water.
    . Know the scale is terribly unfair at times, and to keep going. It will be fairer soon!
    . Research hiit training. Its awesome!

Wish I'd learnt about the protein and fiber thing earlier, I lost 50lbs feeling really hungry constantly! X