If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Stop reading through all the recent posts, it gets addictive and you NEED TO GO TO BED!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Who are you? No seriously.... who the **** are you? That is honestly the most important question you need to ask yourself.

The science of losing weight is actually pretty simple. Most of the dogma that disguises itself as science is BS, do your research and work out your cals and nutrient needs and stick to it... simple isn't it...

The rest of the equation is behavioural and that's where it gets tricky.

When it comes to food... who are you?? What are your current behaviours in terms of meal timing and frequency? Can you tweak what you currently do to fit your cals without completely overhauling your lifestyle? Do you like structure or flexibility? Are you time poor or finanically tight?

In terms of exercise, what will motivate you? Are you competative and social? Would you prefer quiet time on your own?

What do you want to achieve broadly? Health, fitness, performance, strength, speed, hotness?

What are your genetic possibilities? learn to love them!
  • pollywollywoo
    Options
    whatever you do, do not......and I can't emphasize this enough......do not listen to Nickelback, it is bad for your ears \m/

funniest. thing. i've read. for AGES!!!!! laughing so much i cried and nearly peed. cheers for that!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Get to bed early - you will need it if you are exercising more but it's also a good way to avoid the late night munchies!

Weigh your food, a few grams either way can make quite a big difference with some foods like cheese.

Cook more - you know what has gone in and you can make recipes healthier.
  • valeriejbardini
    Options
    Thanks brilliant advice, wish I had found this site earlier , Love all the support you guys give.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Before asking a question in the forums, use the "search" function first. Most likely, the same question has been asked before.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't quit!
  • hadesflame
    hadesflame Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, do not......and I can't emphasize this enough......do not listen to Nickelback, it is bad for your ears \m/

What exactly does this have to do with losing weight, gaining muscle, or being healthy? I happen to listen to Nickelback all the time and it doesn't hinder my ability to exercise or eat right. I enjoy the music and it boosts my happy hormones.
    However, I would tell a newbie to feed their body. It's not about how little you eat. It's about eating healthy and getting off your rear end. Exercise! Lift weights! You're not going to end up with muscles on top of muscles if you lift. You will, however, strengthen your body and be able to burn more at rest. It takes time. Don't be mad because you don't lose it all overnight.
  • tkallatch
    tkallatch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thankyou that is exactly what happened to me iam a newbie at MFP i went back on mfp and went back 3 days and found i had 3 meals that were loaded with sodium thats why the 3 pound weight gain today now i can stop crying
  • MrsAlcalde
    MrsAlcalde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Don't let the jerks on the message boards steer you away!

This!!! and be determined...everyday is a new day to give it your best try. You WILL stray but get right back on course
  • LivingHealthyLovingLife
    Options
    Track, track, track. Everything, everyday. If you see what your putting in your body you will be less likely to keep putting it in your body that is if you are in fact serious about losing weight.
    We got to where we were (are) by making bad food choices, this journey is all about changing that mindset.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I would say that you can't get to the forums from the phone app, so get on a PC and ask questions and seek help, tips and advice from the great people on here.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    keep your sense of humor b/c you're going to need it.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    To take every piece of advice on the forum with a tiny grain of salt. But not this piece of advice, take it like a meteor crashing down to earth.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY wish I knew who I saw post this originally, but:

GUILT DOES NOT BURN CALORIES.

Really. Food is not the enemy. True, there are foods that are better for you than others, but once you've eaten something, the deed is done. What possible good does it do to beat yourself up if you chose chocolate cake over high fiber oatmeal for breakfast one morning? I truly want to tell people that when I read posts along the lines of "OMG, I just ruined EVERYTHING because I ate X!" No, you didn't ruin anything. Just...make a healthier choice the next time you eat, that's all.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Don't "save up" your calories for that special dinner, or restaurant outing that you have planned with your friends because you might just end up bingeing instead.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    "Guilt don't burn calories, neither does shame." ~Advice from a Sideways Dog
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY wish I knew who I saw post this originally, but:

GUILT DOES NOT BURN CALORIES.

Really. Food is not the enemy. True, there are foods that are better for you than others, but once you've eaten something, the deed is done. What possible good does it do to beat yourself up if you chose chocolate cake over high fiber oatmeal for breakfast one morning? I truly want to tell people that when I read posts along the lines of "OMG, I just ruined EVERYTHING because I ate X!" No, you didn't ruin anything. Just...make a healthier choice the next time you eat, that's all.

Hahah ^^^^ THIS!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dont forget that spending time here is not a way to burn calories.