If you could tell one thing to newbies on MFP....

Options

Replies

• kimfifield
    kimfifield Posts: 8
    Options
    Keep track of what you eat even w:hen you don't feel like it. Remember that protein and fibre are good. Start your day with a good breakfast and try to exercise. :smile:
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's some really good advice on here, thanks OP for starting this topic! The only thing I'd add that I couldn't see on a quick skim through is - invest in a food scale that has one gram increments and weigh all your food, especially to start off with. You don't want to be "guesstimating", you could be way wide of the mark - not such a biggie on vegetables but essential with most other foodstuffs!
  • Chickabittie
    Chickabittie Posts: 272
    Options
    I'd tell them what "bump" means! lol!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it was mentioned a few times already, but log everything, don't cheat yourself...

That and Good Luck! That's two things... :)
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you THINK you might be interested in running, then Couch-2-5k will prove that you are really CAN do it.
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd tell them to read this! It's a beginning of journey perspective. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/597074-feel-like-giving-up-read
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    take your time that it will happen,there is no magic pill for you to lose weight,you have to put the work in.If it was an pill everyone would do it. you put in the work you will get results.You didn't put it all on at once so you can't take all off at once.:flowerforyou:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You're eventually going to have to break up with or severely limit your time with Cardio. You're eventually going to break up with or forget about the scale once you get to a certain point.. and you will actually be able to use the mirror to track weekly/monthl progress.

Make peace with that now and save yourself a 12 month plateau later.

Or dont believe me and struggle longer, see if I care, you cocky-knowitall newb

This!

EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!

And THIS!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,993 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale.
  • FitnessDivaK
    FitnessDivaK Posts: 229
    Options
    What works for some doesn't work for all. Take the time to figure out what works for YOUR body and try not to get too frustrated with the process.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    dont go strong everyday 7 days a week burning 1000+ without remembering ur going to get burned out n tired and regret not working out to ur fullest after the fact...do what your body can handle then increase..
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There will come a time that you will hit plateau (no change at all) in both measurement & weight but if that happens don't despair because it means that you have to adjust your dietary & exercise intake as you're burning fewer calories as you get fitter, leaner or more efficient (in exercise). Know your BMR & make a point to adjust your diary settings as you decrease weight.
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What works for some doesn't work for all. Take the time to figure out what works for YOUR body and try not to get too frustrated with the process.

this

following someone else's path doesn't guarantee your success blaze your own trail...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Set fitness goals instead of scale goals. If you put the work in, you will succeed in achieving them, and then you won't care as much what that scale tells you.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Learn how to weigh foods using a digital scale. Become a pro at that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    drink your water and don't eat back your exercise cals. they are already worked into the equation

2qwlxjc.gif

LOL
    WTF?!
  • briebebe
    briebebe Posts: 21
    Options
    I'd say stick with it. And, even if you don't feel like posting or logging calories visit the site for support and to hear what other people have going on. Sometimes our own life is pretty sweet when you see what another person has to deal with.
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
    Switch up your exercise.
    Lift weights.
    Eat lots of protein.
    Get out of your exercise box. Try something new.
    Sweat and laugh everyday.
    Tell the people who love you, so they can support you.
    Never give up!!!! Take a break if life makes you but always come back!
    Let people know if you need help. Mostly everyone here is awesome!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    What I wish I knew when I started....

"An additional idea that most likely came out of the drug use of late 70′s and early 80′s bodybuilding practices is that training frequency and volume should go UP while dieting. Before addressing anything else I want to address that. The basic idea of increasing either training frequency or volume in the weight room while dieting is completely *kitten*-backwards on a tremendous number of levels. If there is a single time when overall recovery is going to be reduced (unless you are using steroids), it’s when calories have been reduced. Trying to train more frequently in the weight room on a diet makes no sense."
    ~Lyle McDonald
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Learn how to weigh foods using a digital scale. Become a pro at that.

To which I add, buy a digital scale with a tare function. If place a container with food on it, the weight of the container will be subtracted out.