When did this site become so judgmental ?

Options

Replies

• susanp15
    susanp15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i agree
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

Just today a new member asked if she should eat her exercise calories, and some douche wrote back that maybe she should search before she posts stupid questions. How rude is that!

Maybe new members dont know they can search, who knows, whatever the reason is, there is no need to be rude when people are looking for help !

And you know what, its always the obsessive fit maniacs (who were in our position one year ago!!!) that feel like they know everything because perhaps their journey is complete... Just because your journey is complete does not mean you have to obstruct somebody else's journey !!!

HMPH! got me all riled up .. lol

That is because those can-I-eat-back-exercise-calories thing have been asked a lot of times which is why it becomes irritating especially if you've been here for a long time now. However its not correct to say "search before posting stupid questions", that guy should've said it better like "I (insert his own opinion) but I think it would be better if you also search for this question since it has been asked a lot of times here so in this way you can get some helpful tips"

Using the word OBSESSIVE to all in-shape people are offensive. Its not that we feel we know everything but most of us are talking based on our own experiences. Of course most of us who have made it have undergone thru hard times & also asked a lot of questions or did a research before & worked so that's why we only want to share what we have learned to those who are still on the journey. Now I don't know about those obstructing other's journey & sorry if you encounter one but most of the these folks are being helpful. Perhaps you just misunderstood it.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have surrounded myself with kind supportive people and for the most part ignore the snarky folks. It works for me!
    And I try to surround myself with the snarky people. Life would suck without sarcasm. *shrug* To each their own.

FYI, telling someone thet're doing something harmful to themselves is not mean or judgemental. Nothing to do with the above quote, just needed to say it.

I have surrounded myself with snarky witty people and for the most part ignore the cleansing juicing folks. It works for me!
  • yourieann
    yourieann Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    amen to that
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    because people forgot how to use their god given common sense.. that why.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    The problem is different people have different limits on what is and is not acceptable behavior. You can't control what other people do..just you.

^^This. I really don't think it has changed much since I started, there are just a ton more people on with opinions to spew.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have been here for a long time -much longer than what my joined date implies. I don't think the site has become less supportive or more judgmental.

There are some people who are *kitten* and some people who feel that any disagreement is rude and get hurt feelings over every comment, but the majority of the posters here fall somewhere in the middle. As far as I can tell, it has always been that way.

I'm sorry your experience has been different than mine, because I have learned a great deal about fitness here, and I continue to do so.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've asked questions about certain things and people get so rude and nasty especially on food,fitness,and cleanses and juicing that type of stuff
    i just posted today asking one simple question about a dr.oz show i seen today and geez some people were rude saying dont listen to him etc i never once said i was doing what he suggest i was wondering if some people added some of his remedies to their exercise routine

I read that and didn't think anyone was being rude. Disagreement isn't rude. A lot of people on here are sensitive to that IMO

^^this - they were being rude (justifiably) about Dr Oz, not the poster.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    memes-first-world-problems.jpg
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You are so right!

Just today a new member asked if she should eat her exercise calories, and some douche wrote back that maybe she should search before she posts stupid questions. How rude is that!

Maybe new members dont know they can search, who knows, whatever the reason is, there is no need to be rude when people are looking for help !

And you know what, its always the obsessive fit maniacs (who were in our position one year ago!!!) that feel like they know everything because perhaps their journey is complete... Just because your journey is complete does not mean you have to obstruct somebody else's journey !!!

HMPH! got me all riled up .. lol

That is because those can-I-eat-back-exercise-calories thing have been asked a lot of times which is why it becomes irritating especially if you've been here for a long time now. However its not correct to say "search before posting stupid questions", that guy should've said it better like "I (insert his own opinion) but I think it would be better if you also search for this question since it has been asked a lot of times here so in this way you can get some helpful tips"

Using the word OBSESSIVE to all in-shape people are offensive. Its not that we feel we know everything but most of us are talking based on our own experiences. Of course most of us who have made it have undergone thru hard times & also asked a lot of questions or did a research before & worked so that's why we only want to share what we have learned to those who are still on the journey. Now I don't know about those obstructing other's journey & sorry if you encounter one but most of the these folks are being helpful. Perhaps you just misunderstood it.

Actually, I find the search function not very good.e.g if I search "exercise calories" I get the last post on that subject and if there was an active thread on that subject I can get pages on that specific thread before I get a new another thread.

If a people tired of a question topic why do they even open the thread?
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is actually a quite fascinating (to me anyway :P) internet phenomenon.

Life on communities and forums follow this cycle that have many similarities with "real life" but it moves much faster.
    Coming to a forum like this for example, is for some people a bit like meeting a great girl or guy and falling head over heels. You've found the one and it's SO GREAT. You keep finding things in common - like minded people with goals the same as you and threads that is just what you wanted but since your glasses still have that rose shimmering filter, you skim over the rest. Then, depending on your personality or the level of involvement, the honey moon period lasts for a while (say 6 months) and then you suddenly start noticing flaws that you could swear was not there before. Then, you notice more and more. He leaves his sock hanging on the bathroom mirror - someone is nasty in a forum reply. How did this happen?! Why did it change? The thing is that it didn't really change, the way you looked at it did.
    The only thing one can do is to see what one doesn't like and then either be the opposite oneself, or kick the loser to the curb.
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it's really funny.... try posting something about 'starvation mode', low carb diets or losing weight on under 1200 calories a day and watch them all swing into action!

There seems to be a lack of understanding that one size does not fit all... everyone is different and has to find a way of losing weight that suits them. If that is doing a low carb low calorie diet for 6 months then so be it.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    I have surrounded myself with kind supportive people and for the most part ignore the snarky folks. It works for me!
    And I try to surround myself with the snarky people. Life would suck without sarcasm. *shrug* To each their own.

FYI, telling someone thet're doing something harmful to themselves is not mean or judgemental. Nothing to do with the above quote, just needed to say it.

I have surrounded myself with snarky witty people and for the most part ignore the cleansing juicing folks. It works for me!

I prefer the snark, and I'm new on here. Obviously you have your arseholes wherever you go in life, and if anyone is insulting you, let it bounce off your thick skin.

I think some people are over-sensitive though. If you come and ask for opinions on what you're eating for example, and you don't like those opinions you can't really complain about it or act as if you have been personally attacked. There's a difference between personal attacks and opinions.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that people are being judgmental about judgmental people in this thread. :tongue:

yep. Lots of that going on lately. :laugh:

I couldn't have put it better myself :tongue:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think some people are over-sensitive though. If you come and ask for opinions on what you're eating for example, and you don't like those opinions you can't really complain about it or act as if you have been personally attacked. There's a difference between personal attacks and opinions.

I agree. I don't understand why some people are so narrow-minded & they think that if someone goes against their point of view, they would think against that person. What's the point of asking in an open forum if all you want to hear are favorable opinions? If you want to see only favorable responses then it might be better if you just post that question in a group forum where people share your similar thoughts instead of the main forums where people share different opinions. Come to think of it, were all grown ups here & the majority of us are adults & yet majority still act like a little kid. As grown ups, we should know how to accept constructive criticisms or different opinions. Also many people doesn't know the difference between personal attacks & opinions. Just because someone dislikes your post doesn't mean that he is attacking you personally. He may hate your post but it doesn't mean that he hates you as a person or as an MFP member unless of course you're starting to attack him as a person with insulting words.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Actually, I find the search function not very good.e.g if I search "exercise calories" I get the last post on that subject and if there was an active thread on that subject I can get pages on that specific thread before I get a new another thread.

I used google to search MFP threads.

So, to find threads on "Hamburger" I use the search term (without the quotes)

"Hamburger site:myfitnesspal.com"
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This site became judgmental the moment they allowed humans to use it.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    to answer the OPs original question I'm going to guess "15 minutes into Beta testing"