"Old Fashioned" or "Traditional" gender roles

Options
Trail_Addict
Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
Spinning off of the "who should pay for the first date" thread, if you were writing a personal ad and claimed you had "old fashioned" or "traditional" family values, what exactly does that mean to you? Based on the previous thread it would appear a lot of people are confused about what "old fashioned" really means.

What is the role of the man? What is the role of the woman?

Replies

• RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this mean I please you sexually and then make you a sammich and bring you a beer?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Doesn't this mean I please you sexually and then make you a sammich and bring you a beer?

We're off to a good start. LOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    They provide sanctuary for each other!

I suppose the man should take out the trash, cut the grass and so on. Bring home the bacon?

Kidding. As long as they work it out to their own satisfaction, who cares?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it means she has my pipe and slippers waiting for me when I get home from a hard day's work. And has made herself presentable.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The man has to kill the bugs...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Oh.. and the woman should always feel protected, and cherished.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am hopelessly clueless, but I like Rocketgirl's suggestion of sex and sammiches.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Having been raised up in a machismo (male chuvinism) culture, this is what I know as traditional gender roles. That is a man should be earning more, handles executive or CEO positions while women are only up to the managerial levels. It doesn't matter if one of you doesn't work as long as the husband/father is the one working, the wife stays at home & takes care of her kids. The man is the head of the household & is the one making the final decision. Ever noticed that the leading ladies in the telenovelas are mostly poor & oppressed while their leading men are the rich ones coming from a respected family? What you see on most of the telenovelas are a reflection of our machismo culture that I call traditional.

EDIT: I have to correct the spelling for the word chuvinism
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    So I typed out a long explanation...but I don't feel like fighting with people so I'm going to hop on the "I please you sexually and then bring you beers and sammiches" explanation :laugh: (Which I actually have no problem doing)
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    and mow the lawn.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I don't like following traditional roles, but that there about sums it up.

Also, the idea that if a man works, he doesn't need to contribite anything extra, because hey, he's bringing home da bacon, ad that shiznit's hard. That's a gender expectation (or de-expectation), that's traditionally obnoxious.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Uh oh - not in my house :noway:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a household where there were some traditional gender roles. My grandfather set the "rules of the house" and was the breadwinner. My grandmother did all the cleaning and home-management. Then again, my grandfather also does all the cooking because he really liked it, and my grandmother is the best pistol shooter in the family.

I also grew up in a household where women were taught how to hunt, fish, and shoot guns. So, I guess that's my notion.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

HAHAHA this because I freakingly hate flying bugs
    and mow the lawn.

YEAH and also do the laundry, ironing & cooking :laugh:
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    men should
    * pay the bill when dining out
    * the man should give the orders to the waitress ( i tell hubby want i want, he tells the wait staff)
    * open doors
    * wait for the woman to sit down at the table
    ^ take out the trash

women should
    * make sure the home is clean ( now of course, if she works and he doesn't, then that is different but i;m talking about traditional house wife)
    * cook the meals
    * tend the children
    ---
    now i am a modern woman with old fashion traits
    my man pays all the bills (im not working now anyway)
    he places my orders for me
    when we are out .. he does the heavy lifting
    i cook and clean
    but when he isn't home, i also cut the grass, make minor repairs in the house
    i can change a tire, check oil , pump the gas( stuff women needs to know if they drive :laugh: )

** i do believe your man should be pleased .. i make sure when he gets in, his chair is ready, his slippers are by his chair and i get his food/drinks when he wants something ** .. i also make sure his clothes are laid out for the next day .. this is just how we live..

we do not tell each other what we can or can not do .. but i feel since i am at home for now, i should care for the home ..
    he is working and earning the money - so he handles paying the bills (sorry i rambled on)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I don't like following traditional roles, but that there about sums it up.

Also, the idea that if a man works, he doesn't need to contribite anything extra, because hey, he's bringing home da bacon, ad that shiznit's hard. That's a gender expectation (or de-expectation), that's traditionally obnoxious.

When I was working and my husband was unemployed, damn right I didn't feel like doing anything around the house when I got home. He's home all day, we have no kids....no reason that crap shouldn't be done. So I totally have NO problem with that in reverse.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Options
    I find if you feed a man a good sammich he'll do almost anything for you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    men should
    * pay the bill when dining out
    * the man should give the orders to the waitress ( i tell hubby want i want, he tells the wait staff)
    * open doors
    * wait for the woman to sit down at the table
    ^ take out the trash

women should
    * make sure the home is clean ( now of course, if she works and he doesn't, then that is different but i;m talking about traditional house wife)
    * cook the meals
    * tend the children
    ---
    now i am a modern woman with old fashion traits
    my man pays all the bills (im not working now anyway)
    he places my orders for me
    when we are out .. he does the heavy lifting
    i cook and clean
    but when he isn't home, i also cut the grass, make minor repairs in the house
    i can change a tire, check oil , pump the gass ( stuff women needs to know if they drive :laugh: )

Oh lordy! I hate when men order for me. I'd much rather order myself.

I also have no issue with splitting the bill. And, who doesn't love a man who can cook?

:wink:
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    This lmao
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Ha ha - funny BUGS should be mentioned: Hubby JUST came in from outside muttering something about JUNE BUGS! Guess I'd better be off to go squish it! RAWR!!! That's my Role ~ I am WOMAN!!! :wink: