Armed and Dangerous?

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I am curious, now, as to just what those folks in the UK actually can carry to protect themselves, if the need arises. I recognize there are culture differences, but bad people are everywhere -- and they don't care about what is legal and what is not.

(A high school teacher was abducted and killed near here while out for a morning jog just recently. And this was in a very small town. One where many probably don't lock doors at night. Small-town Montana is ... well, not mayberry, but pretty close. If it can happen there, truly, it can happen anywhere. And who knows what might have happened had she had any kind of protection. Maybe nothing different. But it could not have been worse.)
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I take my portal gun everywhere.

The cake is a LIE!!!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    "I am curious, now, as to just what those folks in the UK actually can carry to protect themselves, if the need arises. I recognize there are culture differences, but bad people are everywhere -- and they don't care about what is legal and what is not."

Living in Canada, I have to resort to stern looks and harsh language!
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I carry a squirrel. It bites. No one approaches a girl covered in barking, biting squirrel. Sometimes, when the squirrel is sleeping, I take a 200lb dog. it's less likely to bite an attacker, but more likely to hold them down while I kick the **** out of them.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

*high five*

And maybe even a violent finger-wagging?
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I arm myself with the smug satisfaction that I'm not really scared of getting mugged?

I mean come on, I live in a very urban area with a relatively high crime rate. If it happens it happens. I'm WAY more likely to get hurt by some idiot driving, the statistical chance of me needing and being able to stop injury or death with a gun is way lower then the chance of me shooting myself with it cause I tripped or something.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Here comes the Judge....
    Judge.jpg
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK.

I have a "F**k with me and I'll rip your head off" expression.....:glasses:

However if pushed I am trained in hand to hand and can use restraint techniques…

I'm also a damn good shot....
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I carry a Kubaton Self Defense Keychain and I also train in Krav, so I'm not really one to mess with I guess....
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am curious, now, as to just what those folks in the UK actually can carry to protect themselves, if the need arises. I recognize there are culture differences, but bad people are everywhere -- and they don't care about what is legal and what is not.

(A high school teacher was abducted and killed near here while out for a morning jog just recently. And this was in a very small town. One where many probably don't lock doors at night. Small-town Montana is ... well, not mayberry, but pretty close. If it can happen there, truly, it can happen anywhere. And who knows what might have happened had she had any kind of protection. Maybe nothing different. But it could not have been worse.)

Just seen this..

We have a "reasonable force" law. You can’t carry ANYTHING as a weapon, but if say you were going to a dodgy area at night and happen to have a tire iron in your car, that would be ok, as it's a reasonable item....A baseball bat would take a bit of explaining...

However several house break-ins have resulted in the thieves being killed and as of yet, none of the householders have been charged.

Favorite story on this subject...guy gets mugged on the platform at Hereford train station by a little scrote....yeah bad move, Hereford is the home of the SAS.....guess who he chose to rob? Police found him trussed up on the platform with the soldier using him as a footrest....
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Just seen this..

We have a "reasonable force" law. You can’t carry ANYTHING as a weapon, but if say you were going to a dodgy area at night and happen to have a tire iron in your car, that would be ok, as it's a reasonable item....A baseball bat would take a bit of explaining...

However several house break-ins have resulted in the thieves being killed and as of yet, none of the householders have been charged.

Favorite story on this subject...guy gets mugged on the platform at Hereford train station by a little scrote....yeah bad move, Hereford is the home of the SAS.....guess who he chose to rob? Police found him trussed up on the platform with the soldier using him as a footrest....

I was quite confused the other day. You see, I went to John Lewis to buy a new paring knife. But then I realised - wait, people aren't allowed to carry knives here. So I asked my boyfriend if I'd be arrested if a police officer saw me with my new knife. He said he didn't know. LOL.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    "I am curious, now, as to just what those folks in the UK actually can carry to protect themselves, if the need arises. I recognize there are culture differences, but bad people are everywhere -- and they don't care about what is legal and what is not."

But we still say "please" and "thank you"
  • arrow460
    arrow460 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I exercise I carry a Kel-tec P3AT with a pocket clip in the waist band. When dressed a little more I carry a Kahr CW.40 ....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    There are bad people everywhere, certainly. the difference is that in the UK, most of our bad people aren't armed with guns....

I can't quite believe that people refuse to see a relationship between the omnipresence of weaponry in a culture, and high rates of violent crime. It's pretty hard to argue with bald facts. But I guess gun-toters will always try.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i carry a glock 40 um in one of my fat rolls its up to the crook to figure out which one

Bahahahaaha!!! do you have to have a concealed carry permit for this?
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What? some people 'run' outdoors for fun? Who am I kidding - the only running I ever did was chasing down the bad guys, and then I had my Glock .40 with me (and handcuffs and pepper spray etc) I'll stick to my indoor (non running ) workouts! :laugh:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    There are bad people everywhere, certainly. the difference is that in the UK, most of our bad people aren't armed with guns....

I can't quite believe that people refuse to see a relationship between the omnipresence of weaponry in a culture, and high rates of violent crime. It's pretty hard to argue with bald facts. But I guess gun-toters will always try.

I don't think it isn't seeing ... it is just the whole genie/bottle situation now. Take away the guns from the good folks, bad folks are the only ones left with them.

Also, realize that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible gun owners. I was taught from a very early age to respect guns, have taken safety courses, etc. Everyone who owns a gun isn't automatically a wacko.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I don't really bring a weapon or anything for protection, I bring my dogs if I go out at night because they will warn me way before anyone can even get close, then I guess I could just use the hard parts of the leashes for weapons... I want to get one of those pepper spray things that you can wear on your arm or ankle.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options

I don't think it isn't seeing ... it is just the whole genie/bottle situation now. Take away the guns from the good folks, bad folks are the only ones left with them.

Also, realize that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible gun owners. I was taught from a very early age to respect guns, have taken safety courses, etc. Everyone who owns a gun isn't automatically a wacko.

/\
    THIS!

I exercise my second amendment right daily. As a woman, it's an equalizer if someone were to come after me with violent intentions. I don't carry a weapon to kill someone. I carry a weapon to survive another day. I hope I'll never have to use it, but I'm prepared to do what I need to do to survive.
    It kills me that people tout even legal gun ownership as a bad thing. You exercise your rights your way, and I'll exercise mine my way. To each her/his own :). There's my schpeal. :flowerforyou:
    By the way, I carry a Walther P22 with stingers. I have a CFP, and most people (even those closest to me) never have any idea I'm carrying.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If I'm on patrol... the SA80 A2 GP Rifle... if I'm back home running/walking/hiking then nothing! Carrying them and allowing them helps create the culture because the weapons are free to hand a readily available, uncontrolled (in reality) thus allowing moments of madness get way out of hand...