Armed and Dangerous?

Options

Replies

• nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Good God, I'm guessing most of you live in the US! Pretty much everything you mentioned is illegal in the UK including pepper spray, knives and batons. Oh, including the Glockenspeil but that should be the case world wide. But not the umbrella, they are still ok (for the time being).

I was really looking forward to my trip to NYC next month, now I'm feeling I need to Rambo up!!!!

And as for the UK being full of ninnies - an idiot with a gun is still just an idiot, I like the fact that guns are harder (not impossible) to get hold of over here, it means my kids stand a higher chance of coming back from school alive
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You guys are just scary!
    Every time I read these threads I am incredibly grateful that I live in a country that doesn't have the kind of weapons culture that you sem to relish in the US.
    Frankly, I've read enough of these threads now to make me not even want to visit the US again.

We don't have a "weapons culture", we have a different way of living. Where I come from in the US, hardly ANY of the neighborhood streets have lamp posts. It's completely dark. There are also significantly less people around you. I'm in the UK now and it's always lit up and there are constantly people surrounding you so it feels safer.

So, sorry if protecting myself makes me "scary". But frankly, I've been abused so much walking around by myself that I feel that I need it, lest someone try to molest me.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Good God, I'm guessing most of you live in the US! Pretty much everything you mentioned is illegal in the UK including pepper spray, knives and batons. Oh, including the Glockenspeil but that should be the case world wide. But not the umbrella, they are still ok (for the time being).

I was really looking forward to my trip to NYC next month, now I'm feeling I need to Rambo up!!!!

And as for the UK being full of ninnies - an idiot with a gun is still just an idiot, I like the fact that guns are harder (not impossible) to get hold of over here, it means my kids stand a higher chance of coming back from school alive

Youre right, theyll just get knifed, which is much better.

BTW - NYC is full of hipsters, so unless you can't fend off a pair fake eyeglasses or a single gear bike, you'll be fine.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ha, this thread has demonstrated a culture divide nicely!

In the UK, so I make the most of what I've got: knuckles, a set of keys, and Soft and Gentle right in the eyeball.
  • 0always0
    0always0 Posts: 36
    Options
    I take my portal gun everywhere.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Damn right being knifed is better than being shot! Mortality rates for gun shot is over 30%, knives tend to be about 5%. Abdominal GSW is 17%(ish) whereas stabwound is just 1%. And you have a better chance of successfully defending against an assailant with a knife than a gun.

That said, it isn't right that anyone should have to worry about either, each and everyone has the right to walk around unmolested, without fear and without the need to have to carry weapons.

I love the US, am a frequent visitor, would be happy to live there, but at the same time am glad I live in a country where the availability of firearms is severely limited and the minority of idiots from whom those on this thread are obliged to protect themselves, don't have to carry firearms to do so.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    When I walk around the lake (because of stray dogs) I carry a broken leg of a coffee table. However for my day to day (in my purse) I have a Police issued tazer and police issued mace. Lucky me, never had to use all 3......but I will.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Between guns and bears, I swear I would crap myself whenever I had to go outside if I lived in some areas of the US.

The worst thing that has ever happened to me in England is a) nearly getting eaten by a stroppy rottwieler in a street and b) some random guy got his todger out in front of me and urinated in my general direction as I was walking home.

A tazer gun might have been worth a giggle for the pee-attack man?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I carry my bear arms, cause I have a right.

right-to-bear-arms_design_500.png

Seriously though, I live in such a safe area in VA and I don't really like jogging at night anyway due to the fact that we are so rural we don't have sidewalks. :P
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I usually don't jog outside, but if I did I'd probably stick my NAA .22 revolver in. It's small enough to conceal in the palm of my hand.

JM
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Carry gun is a Walther PPS, .40 cal.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I am a weapon.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    This!

14576491_1339.jpg

She will love any assailant to death!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I take my portal gun everywhere.

That's the spirit soldier!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    When I am out running or biking, I carry a .22 in my "inside the waistband" holster.
    In Florida, if you have a conceled carry permit, it MUST be hidden from view so with my shirt untucked, you cannot see it.
    if I am going out, I have a Beretta 9MM
    when I travel, I keep my .357 Magnum in the center console of the car.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have not been in much comfrontations lately. A few years ago I slapped this woman for mouthing off and making threats to me. She called some wanna be gangster. The guy shows up in red saying he was a blood punches me right in the jaw. I laughed at him so he tried to pull a knive. I freaked out and started punching myself in the face and screaming "come on ***** kill me ****ing stab me ****ing do it *****" The guy got back in his car put the knife in the glove box and took off.

Sometimes you just need to act like you don't give a **** and they will back off.

. I used to carry a pocket knife and keep a taser in my car . I have been training martial arts most my life.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I normally take my 85 pound lab mix with me... She's pretty much a deterrent even though I live in a tough neighborhood. It seems like most people that would mess with you fear dogs. She's very well trained and stays heeled for our entire walk or jog and doesn't take kindly to people messing with her family. She's also very friendly when I tell her it's okay to be. She's really an all-around great dog.

If for some reason I don't take her with me (I used to walk home from work late sometimes) I carry a push knife on a chain around my neck and nestled in between the girls!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Mace and knife!

(when I'm in America. too bad the UK is full of ninnies ;] )

huh?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have not been in much comfrontations lately. A few years ago I slapped this woman for mouthing off and making threats to me. She called some wanna be gangster. The guy shows up in red saying he was a blood punches me right in the jaw. I laughed at him so he tried to pull a knive. I freaked out and started punching myself in the face and screaming "come on ***** kill me ****ing stab me ****ing do it *****" The guy got back in his car put the knife in the glove box and took off.

Sometimes you just need to act like you don't give a **** and they will back off.

. I used to carry a pocket knife and keep a taser in my car . I have been training martial arts most my life.

This is hilarious! Will you be my new best friend?
  • littlemoonsandy
    littlemoonsandy Posts: 1,930
    Options
    living in east bum f... i carry a camera to take pictures of all the wild life