Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options
So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days otherwise I would've saved money if I knew I'd get pregnant :( I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who HAS MADE IT if there was a struggle along with being pregnant at a "young" age. My mother & family aren't speaking to me as of this day and think I am so stupid and crazy for having a child. Please.. I need the support....

I'm worried about being unemployed.. my bf is working, I am going to a ROP program for school which is about a 6-8 month program for medical assisting / billing & coding, I cannot afford going to another school right now.. I hope I can make it, I know it will be a struggle but I also know it'll be worth it.

Replies

• nessat18
    nessat18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Being a mom is wonderful never let anyone tell you otherwise!! I know mothers that are 19 when they have their first baby and they are amazing mothers!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't think 23 is too young. I was married at 22, although I didn't have children for a few years. You'll be fine. You won't be 23 forever, sadly!
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    I had just turned 24 when I had my first child, and almost 26 when I had my 2nd. They are 13 and 11 now and it has been an amazing journey. I wouldn't trade it for the world!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    23 is not too young... Screw all the haters and good luck hun! ♥
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was 20 when I had my son. Was it an ideal situation? No, but it was my responsibility. He is now 14 and I wouldn't change anything. His father and I got married a year after he was born and had our daughter when I was 22. We are still married to this day. Congrats and good luck to you.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had my baby at 23, it's the best thing that will happen to you in the end! Be positive and don't listen to any of the negative comments. Things happen, just strive to be the best mommy you can be!
  • Jennalynna777
    Options
    I was 20 when my husband and I got married and 3 months in the marriage, I got pregnant. I had my son at 21 and 4 months later, I got pregnant with my daughter. 8 years later, we decided to have another daughter. I now have 3 wonderful children and have been married almost 20 years. I was a young mother and and don't worry about what other people think, all that matters is that you are the best mother to your children, they are the ones you have to give a good impression too.

Good luck with your child, you will do great!
  • MissLaurenR88
    Options
    amazing stories... <3
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ...Weird. I'd think 23 is a reasonable age. Obviously, the preference is 23 and married. Maybe that's what the problem is for your judges and jury?

Personally, I prefer seeing young mothers to older mothers. I think at a certain point we divorce ourselves from our childhood and can't relate as well. Also, the resilience of the body is a plus, too.
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You must not be from the south! I'm 24 and have a two year old, and that's the norm here. All my friends have kids, and I know several that are my age with more than one child. You may be young but you can do it, being a mother comes naturally to most women so you will get it girl. You already seem to be caring and getting everything all set up for your baby...just prove those people wrong with your actions, make them eat their words.
  • rlmcnay
    rlmcnay Posts: 62
    Options
    Don't listen to them! My wife and I have 4 beautiful children and we started at 19. She is the most amazing mother to our children and has been since the beginning. You will be fine and yes it is ALOT of work but it is so worth it. Congrats on the pregnancy and I wish you and you family nothing but the best.
  • MissLaurenR88
    Options
    the thing is, i am unemployed now.. but JUST started going back to school. I am scared I won't make it but I know I would NEVER go through abortion.
  • skowalska
    skowalska Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant at 19, had my son at 20 if it makes you feel any better :P You will be a great mom, I know its been the best choice Ive ever made for sure
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I got pregnant at 17 so no bashing from me! Lmao.

Don't let anyone bother you about your choice to not have an abortion. That is a very personal decision and none of their business.

I still went to college after I had my son. It's hard but possible if you want to still go that route. Plus, as a single mom you can get more money in grants. I got the full amount of the pell grant every year.
  • Revenga1980
    Revenga1980 Posts: 63
    Options
    Don't let people talk to you that way! It's your life, you make the decisions, including whether or not you let other peoples ignorant remarks impact you and your life. Life is full of surprises, lots of them are great ones :) You're making a choice based on what is best for you. I applaud you, there aren't a lot of people left in the world who can make their own choices and stand by them no matter what. Many people are easily swayed by what other people think is best for them. So congratulations on being a strong mature women and congratulations on being a mom :)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I had my oldest at 22 he is now 7.....I have a sister who had her oldest at 19 and she was going to school during it and has her bachelors degree....

Don't let people discourage you..you do you..!!! COngrads by the way!
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    you are just fine. 23 is not to young to have a family. I became a single mom at 27 years old. I have raised my daughter as a single parent since 2003. you have my support are welcome to friend me
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    While I cannot comment on being 23 and pregnant. What I can comment on is that my mom was 19 when she had me with a non supportive boyfriend that is not and has never been in the picture.
    My mom is/was awesome growing up and I'd like to think that I turned out pretty good and now can pass on the same values and morals that were passed on to me. So please don't listen to people saying you are too young, if you are ready and wanting to be a parent I can honestly tell you that it is the most rewarding/fulfilling thing ever. I have a two year old daughter and she is the love of my life.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My mom was 23 when she had my older sis. Then she had me, then my brother. We are a happy family! My parents got divorced when I was 16 but that had little to do with how long they were when getting married. Congratulations!
  • wave143j
    wave143j Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I got married at 20 and had my first daughter at 21 while my husband and I were both in the military. It's now 16 years later, I'm still married to the same man and I have 4 kids all about 2 years apart. It was tough but every struggle was worth it. I can honestly say that I would not have done it any differently.