Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options

Replies

• squishysangel
    squishysangel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    the thing is, i am unemployed now.. but JUST started going back to school. I am scared I won't make it but I know I would NEVER go through abortion.

So then that is one of the best times to be pregnant...you are bettering yourself before the baby arrives....and, depending on what you were doing before, its probably going to be alot healthier for you and the littleone...lots of schools will work around due dates and such when it comes time for finals and such....don't let anyone get you down girl...congrats on the new addition :)
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    23's not so young.
    About having just gone back to school, my husband had a student last fall who was a few months away from her due date, she only missed three days of class when she gave birth.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was married at 18 had our first child when I was 20 and second child 4 years later. We have been married almost 43 years.
    One good thing about having your children when you are young is when they grow up you are still young enough to enjoy your lives
    together and have time to do thing you could not do while raising your children. I wish you well with your pregnancy and a long and happy life with you mate.
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lord no, 23 is a good age. I married at 18 and had my first at 22, 2nd at ,24 then third at 33. I feel that for me my twenties were a far better time to have them than my 30's. The younger you are when you have them the younger you'll be and have more energy to enjoy the eventual grandkids ........and age doesn't matter as to whether you are a good Mum or not.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Congrats,
    I don't think 23 is too young, I was 24 when I conceived (twins!) and 25 when I delivered.
    All you can do is your best and don't let anyone talk you down. You two will be fabulous parents.

I went back to school when my kids were 8 months old. I am now a single mother for the last 1.5 years (kids are now 6.5), and truly, you can do anything you set your mind too so just remember that :)

Good luck!!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I was 23. My mom said I was too young so I reminded her she had 3 by the time she was 22. In hindsight, I would have waited longer but that doesn't make my decision wrong. And it won't make yours wrong.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days. I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who has made it. Please.. I need the support.. Thank you mfp.

I think part of "owning up to your responsibility" is owning up to the fact that you are in school and unemployed. The BEST thing you could do for your child would be to give him/her up for adoption by a couple who are emotionally and financially prepared to be parents. THAT would be being the "best mom you can be" at this point in your life. Your child gets a secure future and loving parents who can't have a child otherwise become outstanding parents. Win/win.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I also have a very hard time with people bashing you for being pregnant at 23. Oh, yeah, I forgot that they must be perfect. I was married, owned a home and had my first child at 20. Things did not work out with the man I was married to but we were together for 17 years and had 4 children together.
    Your baby is here at the right time. If you and your boyfriend are supportive of each other, you will be fine.
    Take care and don't listen to those who are not supportive of you.
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when i had my first daughter. i had another one at the age of 27. you will do well. NO ABORTION PLEASE, you will regret for the rest of your life when you do that.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    HAD MY FIRST CHILD AT 18..NOT IDEAL..BUT I WOULDNT TRADE FOR ANYTHING. IF YOU REALLY WANT SOMETHING IN LIFE ITS HARD WORK BUT YOU CAN DO IT!! BEING A MOTHER IS THE GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    for real?
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to talk to a social worker and have them point you in the right direction. That's what I would do in your situation.

As for being 23 and pregnant, I was 23 when I got pregnant and just turned 24 when I had my daughter 2 years ago. I was unmarried too, though we are married now. We always say what a joy and blessing our daughter is, and how we couldn't imagine life without her. No matter what, you will be thankful for the gift of your baby, and you will figure out the job/school thing as best you can. We never faced any back lash from being unmarried and pregnant, except my best friend at the time said "He'd better be planning to marry you", and my father-in-law suggested that my coworkers may think less of me for not having a ring on my finger while I was pregnant (not to my face, but to my husband). That's it.

You can be strong for you and your baby! Good luck.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    23 is ancient compared to when I became a dad, I was 17 years old when i got my ex pregnant, my senior year of high school I was working 2 jobs, doign a full day of school (no work/home release) and doing after school school to make up credits for being lazy my junior year, forget what anyone says or thinks all that matters is you do your absolute best to be the absolute best parent you can be for your should.
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I became a mom at 29 years old for the first time and 31 for the second. i was not too young (right?) bur I was still criticized for having the second one too soon after the first... that just goes to show that people will say any sort of stupid thing when talking about your life.
    I love being a mom, I think having my children after 29 was good in the sense that I was done with my studies and had a good job, but I think that being a younger mom can have many advantages, you have more energy, you are closer in age to your baby, you have time to have lots more children if you want them.
    I don't even think it matters if you're married or not. All my life experience has taught me is this: the only thing that matters is that you love your baby.
    The best of lucks and feel free to befriend me.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 21 and my second at 25. My husband decided to ditch and I was left with a 4 year old and 4 day old to raise alone. I was able to get assistance, go back to school and successfully raise my kids (they are 20 and 24 now). You CAN do this. Don't take any crap off anyone. Do what is best for you and your baby. Reach out for the support you need. And good for you standing by your convictions. Your child will be an absolute blessing (and possibly heartache) but being a mom is amazing!!!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I was 24 when I had my daughter. She is now 19 and just finished her freshmen year of college. I was still in college, paying my own way, when I had her and graduated with a B.S. degree when she was a year and a half old. I have been a single mom from day one and still am, I am not going to lie, it wasn't always easy and still isn't, but as long as you have a good support group (family and friends) you can do it.

I currently manage an environmental laboratory, not only am I the first female to hold this position for this company, but I am the first one to hold this position without a doctorates in chemistry. I do not receive nor have I ever received child support from the other half of the gene pool and I still managed to buy a house, buy my daughter a car, buy her a bassoon ($12,000 insutrument),she is a music major and paid for her freshman year of college. My daughter and I may not have had everything we wanted, but we have never been without anything we needed.

my daughter graduated with honors from H.S. and was one of the top 3 high school bassoonists in the State, she was active in several extra curriculur activities including sports and music.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant while in school also with no job, I was 21 years old and a senior in college, but i was so determined to graduate with my BA!! I worked too hard those last 3 years; So I graduated, it told a little longer, but I did it. Now i have my degree and a part time job. My precious baby girl is 5 months now and just such a happy growing baby! I love her soooooo much, everytime i'm gone i miss her! It is hard!! But sooooo worth it. I wouldn't trade her for nothing in this world :) You can do it, I believe you can! You just have to work extra hard! AND don't worry about the people that is telling you that you're too young! Basically my whole family wanted me to get an abortion, but noway was i doing that, when i told them i wasnt they evenually accepted it! thats all they could do.

CONGRATS!!! By the way :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I was 22 years old when I found out I was pregnant. 12 weeks later, I found out I was having twins. I had my twins 1 day before my 23rd birthday. 2 days later, they were both diagnosed with a fatal disease called Cystic Fibrosis.

I found myself at 23 not only being a new mother, but a physiotherapist, caregiver, nurse, etc. I had not only full-time motherly duties, but also had to do disease control.

My kids were 2 years old when I separated from my husband. I'm now 26 years old and the twins are 3 and a half. I'm a single mother, and their father gives support merely one day a week. Essentially, I am on my own with the boys.

When I first got pregnant, I was working on a contract job. I had to "quit" and go on E.I (which was peanuts), my husband was a bar manager & we were 10k in debt. It wasn't ideal, but we pulled through.

Now, I'm 26, I own my own home, I have an amazing career, and 2 beautiful loving children.
  • Denise6914
    Denise6914 Posts: 176
    Options
    I had two children by the time I was 22. I'm 28 now with 3 children, and I'm doing it on my own. It's extremely tough for me financially, but my kids are my world, and it is so rewarding. Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my daughter at 21 had her 2 month before my 22nd birthday....I was sick and couldnt work my husband (BF) at the time was the only one able to work....did we struggle yep but I wouldnt change it for the world...things turn around you will be ok