Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options

Replies

• TahanyE
    TahanyE Posts: 83
    Options
    23 is not young at all. I was married at 19 and had a baby by 21. I had my second daughter just after I turned 25. I have a friend who is the same age as me who has 4 kids. 15 is young. 23 is not. Your school program isn't too long. Just talk to your advocate about possible maternity time or doing some schooling at home. Once you finish school your opportunities will open up and you will have a better chance of getting a higher paying job. Good luck.
  • _CiaoParis
    _CiaoParis Posts: 166
    Options
    23 isn't young! I got pregnant at 17 & had my baby at 18. <- that's young. Also, you'll do great! Finish school :)
  • AbbeyRysMom
    AbbeyRysMom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to always be excited for someone who is expecting, so CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I was 23 when I got pregnant with my son. I had been married for 3 years and people were still not supportive. Then I was 26 when I got pregnant with my daughter. Still married, and Still no support. I know the boat you are in. No one can ever "afford" a baby, but you can do it! There is help out there, and if you make the decision to do it, you will do just fine!
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    Congratulations Try to keep a good attitude. My daughter had her first child at 21 and was not in a relationship with the father. She had already earned her GED and had decided to go to college before she got pregnant. With the baby she qualified for Grants to pay her way through college (along with some student loans). She graduated 1 1/2 years ago with her BS in Nutrition. She even had her 2nd child with her husband 4 years ago. Having a supportive boyfriend will help and hopefully your family will come around. I can honestly say the greatest gift my daughter has given me is my grandsons!! Look into financial aid to help you through school. Every little bit helps. Also, look into WIC for help with the groceries.
  • MummatoAlex
    Options
    23 is not too young. I was already married and pregnant by then also, then we had our second when I was 26. I am almost 35 and our kids are 11 and 8 and everything has been great. I would have never done it any different. You will be fine, being a mom is the best thing ever !!!
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    23 is not too young but I understand the economic concerns. Have you considered adoption ?
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when I got married. At 23, my husband and I split up, but only for a short time. We had gotten back together a week or two later, and than I became pregnant. Because of the rockiness, my parents were NOT thrilled. They even suggested abortion. I am prolife and do no believe in murder, so regardless of my husband and mines situation, I was keeping my son. I had him at 24, and we are still together. Things will never be perfect in life, but being a mommy is the most rewarding experience!

I wish you the best!!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just because you are pregnant and in school doesn't mean you have to stay unemployed. I have known women younger, without any support, who have done it.

My suggestion, look into section 8 housing and food stamps to cut your living expenses until you are finished with school. And start looking for a part time job that doesn't require too much effort but at the same time will allow you to have some pocket money for buying baby stuff. I suggest light retail like Pier 1 Imports, Swatch, Yankee Candle and Godiva. These places don't require a lot of stocking and they are usually quiet enough that you get plenty of time to sit down and they tend to pay a little more than minimum wage. People sleep on luxury retail, but I have had my best experiences at places like that and have always had an opportunity to go to school and work while employed there. Another good option is grocery store or drugstore checkout.

Any jewelry and electronics that are not essential to your day to day...Consider selling them. If you have friends and relatives that need babysitters on weekends and evenings, offer at a decent rate.

Being pregnant and unemployed is "doable" it just involves creativity and a willingess to work hard. Hopefully you won't have any complications that will make it difficult for you to work on stacking your paper until the baby is born.

It is super important to save as much as possible because once the baby comes you may be out of commission for about 2-3 months.

Oh and WIC. Once the baby comes, sign up for WIC so that you can have something to help with the expense of formula. The issue that you are going to encounter at this point is childcare. Hopefully your family will come around and be able to help you with childcare so you can set your sights on getting a real job with your certification. You may want to also talk to the school about accellerated coursework. If you explain your situation to your counselor and financial aid director you might be able to get finished before you deliver.

Good luck with everything! You can do it!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 21. Her father was 25, and we had been together for 7 years at that point. Being a mom is hard, especially at such a young age. My boyfriend was working a job he hated, and we lived in a house owned by my mother and were only able to pay her for utilities. I stayed home full time until she was almost two when I started to go to school for med. assisiting. Things got really bad in our relationship, and we broke up when she was 2.5. Then I met another guy(my husband), and got pregnant at 25 with my son. It's been really hard, and at times I wonder if my husband and I will make it. Sometimes I think he resents me for "forcing" him into fatherhood and marriage. I was not successful at medical assisting. In fact, I highly discourage anyone from doing it. My husband works two jobs and is never home. We struggle majorly financially, and never take trips and rarely go out to eat. My son is in the midst of the terrible twos, and I never get to go out by myself. I wish I could work, but childcare alone would set us back at least $300 a week and I don't have the skills to get a job that would make working worth it. As hard and boring and stressful as my life is, I love my kids so much. I always say I can't understand how people don't want children. It's what we are meant to do. It sucks so much that your family is so unsupportive at a time when you need them the most. My parents have always been there for us, and have gone far above and beyond to make things better for my family. I love them so much. It will be a lot harder to establish yourself in a career after you have a child, but I admire you for making the choice you have. I am pro choice, but I totally understand why women want to keep their babies. Good luck!

I admire your candor. It made me want to cry and inspired me all at once. I love when people can be honest about life and still find the beauty in it all. Thank you for sharing.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of responses to this so I don't know if you'll see mine but I was 16 y/o when I got pregnant.........I got married and had my son when I was 17 y/o. My boyfriend was 18 y/o, he joined the Air Force. We struggled but he at least had a good job. I finished high school in Denver Co. where we got stationed. I remember that he had to sign my report cards my senior year. Boy did we laugh at that. Anyway, we had our second son when I was 19 y/o.. things were tough but we did the best we could. But try as hard as we did we didn't make it and divorced after 6 years. As I single parent of 2 boys I enrolled in a business school and took classes to become a CMA-I was on assistance while I was in school but then I got a good job after school that allowed me to buy a house on my own and pay my bills and support myself and my boys. The boys father remained in their lives as much as he could, he also went on to school and now has a law degree. He was off and on with child support when the boys were younger, I know he tried. Sometime I worked 2 jobs when it was needed. Yes it was hard- but I have 2 grown boys now ages 24 and 21 who are well adjusted and doing fine. I think the most important thing and the thing I see missing in so many "young" parents is sacrifice. I feel when you have kids you need to put their needs before yours and that includes partying and playing. I only went out on weekends when the boys dad had them. They were my children and my responsibility, not someone else's. I didn't always make the right choices but I knew that they needed to come first. So good luck and just do the best you can- your family will come around. Children are a blessing no matter how old you are. Not everyone is blessed with them so love them. I have always thought that if I could do anyone could.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I think the concern would be more about you not being married than being too young. where's the stability for the child? It's not impossible. many women do it, but it's not easy. make sure you have a support system in place before the baby is born and you know who you can count on!
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options
    I had my first at 20, my second at 21, and then started a enw family with a different man about 5 years later. My oldest two and I survived while I was a single mother and they are fine now. It is horrible to think about what your family will be missing out on. As far as school, it sounds like you can finish it before you have the baby...persiver! You can do this!
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was 18 when I had my first son, and he is now 16. I wouldn't change it for the world. He is the love of my life. Well I have 3 children and all of them are the light of my life.
  • englisa
    englisa Posts: 9
    Options
    My fiance' and I found out we were pregnant when I was 25. No big deal execpt 1) we weren't married - my parents flipped and 2) he just graduated from college and didn't have a job. I was the only one working and supporting us until about 6months into the pregnancy when he found a job. Being unemployed and pregnant can feel difficult, but if your partner is supportive in more than just words, you'll make it through. Even though my fiance wasn't working, he made sure our apartment was clean, dinner was hot, and came to all of my prenatal appointments. Right now you're laying the foundation for yourself and your child. I work at a college and I see so many people drop out because they're pregnant - like its a sickness. then they never come back and get stuck in the same dead end job until their child graduates. You're doing a great thing for your baby by pushing through. Also, don't worry about your parents -as soon as baby gets close to making his/her appearance they'll come around. My mother is over nearly every weekend to see our now 8mth old daughter.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm 23 and I'm the OLDEST woman on both sides of my family to have kids, and I don't have any yet. It's not too young at all. (In fact, I've been told I am rapidly getting old and should already have kids by now.) It's just a matter of perspective. You're too young; I'm too old; It's no one's business but ours. As for school, you can finish your schooling at anytime, now or in the future. My mom worked on her degree (as a young single mother of three) one class at a time for over ten years and is finally getting her degree. You can do anything you set your mind to honey! :wink:
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when my daughter was born and when she was nine months old I started school, I've done two years, with two and a half to go. We have very little in the way of spending money but it'll all be worth it for my family when it's over. You can do it, it will just be harder for a while.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was 23 when I had my daughter and then she had my grandchild at 19. She chose not to get married and is doing fine.

People need to mind their own business and quit bashing!
  • Alcoria
    Alcoria Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days otherwise I would've saved money if I knew I'd get pregnant :( I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who HAS MADE IT if there was a struggle along with being pregnant at a "young" age. My mother & family aren't speaking to me as of this day and think I am so stupid and crazy for having a child. Please.. I need the support....

I'm worried about being unemployed.. my bf is working, I am going to a ROP program for school which is about a 6-8 month program for medical assisting / billing & coding, I cannot afford going to another school right now.. I hope I can make it, I know it will be a struggle but I also know it'll be worth it.

Hi i am 23 and i have 3 toddlers all under the age of 5 i do know what its like to have kids at a young age my first being when i was 18 i also dont have contact with my own family they had issues with me even wanting to be with my husband (which i have been with for 6 years now) it is hard but so worth it in the end i love my girls to death. please feel free to add me as a friend if you ever need/want advice or just someone to talk to who has gone through almost the same thing (i never had a job iam and always have been a full time mom) :) Good Luck!
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You must not be from the south.

This is what I was thinking. I know a LOT of my friend were married and had children by 23.
  • seidel07
    seidel07 Posts: 1
    Options
    A baby is a blessing, no matter when it comes! I did not have children young, but my mom did. My sister was also a teenage mother. Don't let anyone else bring you down. You will be a good mom if you want to! There is never a perfect time to have a child. If anyone waited for that, no one would have kids! It's great that you're having your child young... more time and energy to enjoy them! God bless!