Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options

Replies

• Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Don't you listen to anyone tell you otherwise! Congratulations! :flowerforyou: This past Sunday was officially your first Mother's Day!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I got pregnant with my boyfriend who was 18 years old and we were both unemployed at the time (he was in school and I was supposed to go to the Navy). I felt too young at the time but when the baby came she was my reason for living. Now we are happily married for 8 years with a 7 year old girl and 6 year old boy! Your family will come around. My parents are extremely religious and very upset when they found out but they came around. Once the baby is here everyone will love him/her. :) You will be a great mom!!

sweet!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im 24 and i have 3 aged 6, 4 and 2.... im a great mum, and a great business woman. let the haters hate ! x
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I had my kids at 21 and 23. Didn't seem young to me, but I come from, and married into, a military family. My mother was on kid 3 of 4 at 22, and done at 25. Now we're all out of the house and she still has quite a few years to go and enjoy life without youngens.

You can do this, if you really want to. It'll be hard, but 23 isn't all that young, and it sounds like you are in a healthy and loving relationship.
    Congratulations!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    two thumbs up on you mamas such hard work
  • Xoxa1029
    Xoxa1029 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got my GED early and married at the age of 17, my husband was 18. I got pregnant 3 months later. By the time I was 20 I had my 2nd daughter. I have been happily married for nearly 13 years and we now have 3 children. We have never put any of them into daycare. It is not easy to have children, no matter what age you are, but if you try hard, you can do it!!
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    23 is not to young, i was pregnant with my first at 23 and boy do you need energy to chase after these little ones! nothing wrong with being a younger momma! as far as the job everything with work out it always does keep your head up, and maybe look for some state assistance, i know that can be VERY helpful! Congrats on your little bundle of joy
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    I got pregnant at 17 so I was even younger than you are. I'm 29 now by the way. My parent's were thankfully very supportive so I don't know how that feels to have them turn their backs on me. I didn't finish school :( If you are currently in school, I would definitely stick w/ it and finish up the program. Usually programs like that will help you find a job when you are done so maybe they can help you out after you have the baby. It is tough to work and take care of a child for anyone. If you can look to the state for any assistance I would. Don't be ashamed to do what you have to, to provide for your child. No one says you have to do it forever. But it will definitely help in the beginning. I hope your family comes around. It would be sad for them to have to miss out on such a happy time. Good Luck!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    my only real problem was/and is, that i look like i'm about 17 so i feel judged like people think i'm a teen mom, and really i am married, we are on our own, and we are so glad to have had a child. it's so embarrassing sometimes.

I used to run into the same thing, although not as much in the last year or so :grumble:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    23 is not that young. I got pregnant at 23 and had my daughter at 24. Then my son came two days before i turned 27. and guess what?? four months later i was seperated and filing for divorce. My son was 4 months and my daughter was 2 yrs. that was the hardest decision i ever made. I worked 2 jobs to pay my own aprtment for my babies. On the weekends, it was all about the kids. 2 yrs later i met my future husband. We were married the following yr when my son turned 3 yrs and my daughter 4 yrs. He is a good husband raising my babies as his own. Right now my son is 12 yrs and my daughter will turn 14 yrs in august.

if you have the support of your bf, thats all you need. Everything will fall into place. Your family will come around once the baby is born. Good luck to you!
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    First off congrats!!! You are not to young to have a baby, my daughter is 23 and due in Oct. ( can't wait for my grandbaby) she is also about to start school for medical coding lol. I had my daughter at 19 and it was hard but very rewarding would not change it for the world. Maybe your family just wanted you to finish school and have career before starting a family, but regardless this is your life and your body do not let anyone tell you different they will get over it anyway lol, you can prolly get some kind of public aid to help while you are pregnant, best of luck to you!!! :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I was pregnant with my second child at 23. My parents were very angry with me, and I was married. They'll get over it and love their grandchild, and remember how much they love you. ( But if they don't, it's best to keep them out of the child's life. )

We struggled. My husband was very immature and selfish. I ended up a single mom. I've never for a second regretted my children. Never. You will love this baby so much, and any struggle will be worth the love that grows in your heart day by day, for the rest of your life.
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 21.. let me tell you some on the benefits...

you are youthful enough to do anything with your child when they are young I would take my son skiing, snowboarding, cycling hiking, backpacking carry him around in the baby backpack taking him to all the awesome museums in SF ( most 40 something moms get tired easily)

you'll still be youthful enough to do most of the things they do when they are a teen My son and I cycle, run and kayak together still

You'll still be young enough to have a sense of humor about some of the crappy things they will put you through

their friends will adore you because you're "the cool mom"

they won't wear you out as bad when they are in their teens

and when they leave the house,you'll still be youthful enough to have a very fulfilling life

Hang in there, You'll do great! :flowerforyou:

You are SO SO right here!! My momma had us young and she's still the "cool mom"!!! She's actually one of my very best friends! I love it!!!
  • Sweet_Pea_82
    Sweet_Pea_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was 17 when I got engaged, 18 when I got married and 19 when we had our first daughter and 22 with the second. Happily together for 13 years this summer and married for 12 in November. 23? that's a long time to wait! LOL. I also went to college for four years and got my BA degree in 2006 while my husband was in construction and laid off more than he worked. It was hard, but it CAN be done. Stay strong and don't worry about anyone else! As long as you and your b/f are happy that is ALL that should matter. Love every minute of your pregnancy. :flowerforyou:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Got married at 17 yrs old, was married 25 yrs before it fell apart , back then I got pregnant at 21, had her at 22, my daughter is 22 yrs old now and just graduated from college with high honors being on the deans list 5 times in a row and having a perfect 4.0 gpa, dont believe that crap you can not make it being younger or that you wont be a good mom or your kid wont turn out good cus its all bs, if you wanna be a good mom you will be and if your boyfriend wants to be a good dad he will be also. Age has no factor on that and if you waited till you were my age, guess what I am 43 and unemployed now, so the future isnt always brighter financially, those who think there is the perfect plan are wrong, you can hope your well made plans workout but life has a way of shaking things up with out your permission and when you least expect it. Enjoy your pregnancy and feel great about yourself, enjoy your life and your new baby when he or she is born and do not let anyone else tell you how to raise that child, ask for advice but trust your own instinct and intuition, just live your life for yourself and tell anyone who judges you to take a hike and you will do just fine!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I had three children by the time I was 23! Don't feel bad - being a mom has nothing to do with education or anyone's approval. It has to do with your willingness to love and take care of that child the best that you can. My kids are all grown now, married, and starting their own families. A lot of people thought I'd fail, too, but my kids turned out pretty great. You can continue to work on getting your education. It took me 17 years and 5 colleges, but I finally earned by Bachelors Degree when I was 34. I'm in my 50s now and working on a masters degree. There is no deadline for learning! I wish you all the best!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am 24 and I have a 4 year old daughter. Everything works if you work it :) It gets hard at times but I wouldn't take it back or change a thing, I love my daughter more than anything else in this world and she makes me smile every day... CONGRATS!

By the way, I never paid no mind to anyone that judged or had anything to say, even if you werent pregnant haters would find something else to judge you about, they'll always be there no matter what. Don't worry about what others think!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't believe 23 is too young for pregnancy. But perhaps age isn't their real concern. Perhaps its about the situation between yourself and boyfriend? Perhaps its concern about money?

Great that you were able to leave a job for study, but currently you do not have a job to start banking money..you say your boyfriend is supportive, but what does that mean exactly? His he working in a good stable job? Will he be assisting in medical costs? Costs set up for the baby? Do you and your boyfriend intend to live together? If not,where will you live? Do you currently live with your parents? Perhaps they they concerned that you will be left by yourself to cope with the baby.

No doubt your parents have a thousand and one concerns, perhaps its time for your boyfriend and yourself to talk to them about what you intend to do for the future.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    had my first at 23 and my second at 25, hasn't stopped me any I work and I plan to get ECE diploma as soon as they are full time in school :)
  • jesscarows
    jesscarows Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when I had my first son, and 26 when I had my second. Do what is right for you and your baby, and dont worry about anyone else.