strange how many people have a house guest named TOM...

Options

Replies

• StephiePop
    StephiePop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Most TOM-related topics I've seen only discuss water weight and things like that. Nothing "gross", nothing obscene.

It's not like people are making topics going, "MAN, I PASSED THE HUGEST CLOT LAST NIGHT, HERE'S SOME PICTURES I TOOK AS EVIDENCE, LET'S COMPARE!"

This absolutely SLAYED me!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, suddenly my Fage strawberry yogurt is not so appealing. :P
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    It sometimes embarrasses me to be a woman when other women think they are somehow special for having periods. It's used for an excuse for just about anything a woman doesn't want to do (go to work, work out, etc), or wants to do (cheat on your diet, go shopping, treat yourself "just because"). Having a period doesn't mean you are sick or special in any way. Deal with it and quit inflicting it on others. Thank-you. :noway:

I always find that women who don't have hard periods adopt this stance. Before I stopped having mine, I would spend 4 days of 8 in fetal position. The remainder would be okay, if you think sharp pelvic pain intermingled with heavy cramping is okay. A good period for me was one that didn't involve fainting (anemia) or ****ting myself (sudden diarrhea) . A good one for my mother meant not needing a blood transfusion.

Thinking you're somehow better than others because you personally are not affected is a bit rude.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    If you think that is a very private thing to discuss then you might as well tell the companies who makes those tampons or sanitary pads to stop advertising it on TV, billboards, magazines etc. But since I was a kid, I always see those things on TV.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    It sometimes embarrasses me to be a woman when other women think they are somehow special for having periods. It's used for an excuse for just about anything a woman doesn't want to do (go to work, work out, etc), or wants to do (cheat on your diet, go shopping, treat yourself "just because"). Having a period doesn't mean you are sick or special in any way. Deal with it and quit inflicting it on others. Thank-you. :noway:

Yeah, congratulations to you for having the perfect period.

Before I got on birth control and iron supplements, my periods were so heavy I had to change my "feminine product" every hour or two. Even in the middle of the night. My legs hurt so bad from cramps that it would make me cry. I got so nauseous I wouldn't eat and would occasionally throw up my food. And don't even start with the head aches.

Now that I'm on birth control my symptoms are a little better but still bad. I'm PMSing right now and have had the same headache for two days straight, along with bowel problems.

So yeah, for a perfect little princess like you I'm sure there's no reason to complain. For me however, there is, because this takes up about 2 weeks out of my month. Half of it. I'm living 50% of my life in relative pain. God, just shut up okay?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

I always find that women who don't have hard periods adopt this stance. Before I stopped having mine, I would spend 4 days of 8 in fetal position. The remainder would be okay, if you think sharp pelvic pain intermingled with heavy cramping is okay. A good period for me was one that didn't involve fainting (anemia) or ****ting myself (sudden diarrhea) . A good one for my mother meant not needing a blood transfusion.

Thinking you're somehow better than others because you personally are not affected is a bit rude.

You, and some others, are assuming I never had a problem. When I was a teenager, the cramps were so bad, I would rock myself in bed for a whole day until I figured out if I ran or did some extreme exercise, it alleviated the cramps...and that was back when women were "too delicate" for extreme sports.

Edit: I realize some women may get extreme symptoms, but if you are well enough to be complaining about it on here, you aren't sick. Maybe if so many women didn't use "TOM" as an excuse, it wouldn't be so irritating. I don't believe I ever said I thought I was better than anyone. Think of another personal insult.. that one didn't work.
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

You, and some others, are assuming I never had a problem. When I was a teenager, the cramps were so bad, I would rock myself in bed for a whole day until I figured out if I ran or did some extreme exercise, it alleviated the cramps...and that was back when women were "too delicate" for extreme sports.

Edit: I realize some women may get extreme symptoms, but if you are well enough to be complaining about it on here, you aren't sick.

Was this also back in the time when women were seen and not heard? If so, I'm pretty sure that would be a good era for you to relive.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Really? I don't think any one cares about my body that much except for me.

Really? Maybe you should start a new site called MyFitnessForeverAlone.

Seriously people. Periods really really do effect your weight loss, your appetite, your mood, your motivation, and your physical ability. What's wrong with discussing it on a fitness site?

Exactly. How is a comment like "TOM is in town, I am really hungry this week." problematic. It is no different than saying, I am on vacation and we have all kinds of temptations around.
    Options

I'm happy for you that you have your system running perfectly that you don't deal with pain. For someone who has PCOS like me, this is totally an insult. Do you know that whenever I have period it takes months & within that I have days where I just couldn't get up because of extreme cramps & then also can't work because I'm losing blood because of it. Did you know that there was a time that I actually got hospitalized because of bleeding THAT ALMOST TOOK AWAY MY LIFE!!!! Its not about making excuses. Don't assume that everyone is the same just because you don't suffer from it.
  • tialeanne
    Options
    ((((hugs)))) Roachhaley and TheFunBun. That sucks.
    Options

Edit: I realize some women may get extreme symptoms, but if you are well enough to be complaining about it on here, you aren't sick.

Honestly your "problem" is nothing compared to some people here. Your experiences are very normal but mine is extremely painful especially when I was still overweight that I couldn't even stand up because of pain. And I was bleeding really bad & it even gets worse whenever I move not to mention that I feel extremely weak because of the blood loss. The fact that you mentioned "it sometimes embarrasses me to be a woman when other women think they are somehow special for having periods. It's used for an excuse for just about anything a woman doesn't want to do (go to work, work out, etc), or wants to do (cheat on your diet, go shopping, treat yourself "just because")" you are generalizing all women as a whole.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    Perhaps its just me but I don't think any man (as I've seen on this thread) has the right to tell us ladies not to talk about our TOM until they start bleeding out of their junk for 3-7 days out of the month. The only posts I've EVER seen referring to TOM has referred to a weigh in number that was higher because of that happy little visitor or varied eating habits. Sometimes I put on close to 5 lbs and will post on my wall "weigh in wasn't great...but won't worry until TOM goes home."

I don't really see what the big deal is...I've never read someone post "WELL LOOKS LIKE I'M PULLING OUT THE SUPER TAMPONS FOR THIS ONE." Geeeesh...I've read a lot more crude things related to the body on MFP...get over it. I definitely don't see how it was big enough of a deal to create a whole thread about....on the other hand its hilarious that the topic makes you uncomfortable but yet your prompted us to discuss if for 4 pages thus far.

Cheers!
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've heard bad things about this Tom guy and his mother Nature...
  • delilah47
    Options

Was this also back in the time when women were seen and not heard? If so, I'm pretty sure that would be a good era for you to relive.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options

Honestly your "problem" is nothing compared to some people here. Your experiences are very normal but mine is extremely painful especially when I was still overweight that I couldn't even stand up because of pain. And I was bleeding really bad & it even gets worse whenever I move not to mention that I feel extremely weak because of the blood loss. The fact that you mentioned "it sometimes embarrasses me to be a woman when other women think they are somehow special for having periods. It's used for an excuse for just about anything a woman doesn't want to do (go to work, work out, etc), or wants to do (cheat on your diet, go shopping, treat yourself "just because")" you are generalizing all women as a whole.

I am one of the blessed few with 3 days of a light TOM with little to now pain...my biggest symptom is that I eat uncontrollably and tend to be a bit emotional. That being said...I have never generalized because I've witnessed the effects of a terrible, dehabilitating period. I have a friend who will be undergoing surgery because her's are so painful and heavy! My biggest pet peeve is when someone things that everyone is exactly the same! Our bodies are different and react differently to periods, child birth, pregnacy, weight loss, fitness...I could go on and on. Just cause our general plumbing is the same doesn't mean that its identical and that we will all have the same cause and effect....
  • delilah47
    Options
    Thank God for modern medicine. I believe half of all women wouldn't be alive today, cuz they would have died from being female.
  • tialeanne
    Options
    Thank God for modern medicine. I believe half of all women wouldn't be alive today, cuz they would have died from being female.

I'm sorry, are you going out of your way to be a b!tch or does it just come naturally?
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I've known a number of guys who feel this same way... Yet as soon as a woman expresses an opinion he doesn't like or calls him out for acting like a twit, the first thing he falls back on is 'Ooooooh, you must be PMSing!'

I'm sorry you're embarrassed to be a woman.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    o just get over it.
  • delilah47
    Options
    It's funny, I've known a number of guys who feel this same way... Yet as soon as a woman expresses an opinion he doesn't like or calls him out for acting like a twit, the first thing he falls back on is 'Ooooooh, you must be PMSing!'

I'm sorry you're embarrassed to be a woman.

Exactly! Men say this because women have been using it as an excuse. Duh. And.. when they say this, it's usually in sarcasm.