Ladies, do you run/workout in a sports bra (in public)?

Options

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to mention, watching the crossfit games yesterday tons of women were just in their sports bras and shorts.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Bump for later read since one of my goals is "To be confident enough to only run in a sports bra and shorts"
  • shanae727
    Options
    I lived in Eden, NC........but I think Charlotte, Raleigh or even Greensboro wouldnt have been as big a deal.

:) Small world, I was born in Eden. I live in Charlotte now, but lived in Greensboro and Raleigh before moving here. I can tell the difference between the places. People aren't as "open-minded".
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I lived in Eden, NC........but I think Charlotte, Raleigh or even Greensboro wouldnt have been as big a deal.

:) Small world, I was born in Eden. I live in Charlotte now, but lived in Greensboro and Raleigh before moving here. I can tell the difference between the places. People aren't as "open-minded".

That is true...I was actually raised in Seattle, and moving to Eden as an adult was a HUGE shock to my system, LOL. I did love NC though. It is just a cultural thing I think. Charlotte is an awesome city, we lived in Charleston SC for a while too........miss a lot of things about the south, just not the heat! Go ahead and run in your sports bra, just tuck a tank into your waistband in case of "emergency" LOL.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    I normally don't but this last week I ran in just a sports bra. I'm sorry it was 90 degrees out and when I'm running 5+ miles I don't care what other people think; I want to be comfortable and cool. I live out in the boonies so I can hardly offend anyone. Who cares really; I don't sit around judging what people wear to workout in.

I want your bodyyyyyy!!!!!! :cry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Lindamack5987
    Lindamack5987 Posts: 121
    Options
    Ladies on national t.v. wear them. Whats the difference. Most of them cover more than a regular bra and are more supported. I say go for it.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a matter of personal preference.
    Questions: Would you cover up at the beach? If not, why not? Too sweaty, can't get a tan, the shirt will get wet, etc. right?
    Also, why should guys be allowed to run topless, but not girls?
    What happens when you run in south florida around five pm in the summer?
    A shirt just gets in the way. I would not go to the gym without a shirt because I would not want people to feel grossed out about all my skin touching the machines and it's rude to expect other people who are uncomfortable with it to workout in that small space with you. However, out on the road when I'm running, I feel secure enough and the feeling of the wind blowing on my skin cooling me down is worth a few extra odd stares. I usually run in the opposite direction of the cars so that no one is tempted to slow down and talk to me. Plus, I feel good when my abs are in shape and I know people are looking at those too... it gives me that extra motivation to push just a little harder.
    As a closing note, there are many sports tops that are tighter than shirts or a little longer than bras to provide more support. A lot of them are also designed to be worn comfortably as the only upper body covering.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I run in sports bras...I do not have perfect abs, but i hate the restriction in major humid weather.

I don't care what people think. I figure that I'm the one out in the heat running..they're not.

I do not go to a gym like that...but i do run in them on the streets and in races.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    imo,

Screen-shot-2011-04-14-at-10.58.34-AM.png&w=531&h=552&ei=y1S5T8OgEcjX8gPpp_jLCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=598&vpy=12&dur=2758&hovh=229&hovw=220&tx=98&ty=156&sig=102465729466431858888&page=1&tbnh=171&tbnw=164&start=0&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:147this is oksports-bra1-1.jpg&w=520&h=520&ei=zVS5T_GOAcKa8QOV5_3KCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=406&vpy=134&dur=4383&hovh=224&hovw=224&tx=122&ty=127&sig=102465729466431858888&page=2&tbnh=127&tbnw=117&start=14&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:14,i:179this isn't
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Also, I forget who mentioned them earlier in the thread, but the women's track panties are 1000% worse than running in a sports bra. I had to wear those things for track meets in HS, and it was torture. We would put shorts over them as soon as we were finished every race- no matter how hot it was. THOSE are inappropriate!

Ha ha, especially the ones guys wear XD
  • shanae727
    Options
    couldn't see them :(
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I ran today for the first time in just a sports bra and shorts. My sports bra covers up more than my bathing suit top, so I don't see why it's inappropriate. Plus, it was a definite confidence booster. I run on really secluded trails near my house; I was out for an hour today and saw two other people. I have a bit of a stomach, but it felt amazing in the 87 degree weather to not be leaving major pitters on a shirt.

I don't see why people are so against women running in sports bras; I've come across so many old men walking their dogs on the trail, gut hanging out and wearing shorter shorts than me. Or the old guys on their bikes with the little kid horns, honking and speeding by, leaving a cloud of cologne in the air behind them. You should feel comfortable while working out.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the body for it, and then I might feel differently, but I do think it is still a bra. I think in a gym is okay or where it may expected. (beaches)
    But I don't think just going down the road is proper. I have children and I don't think they need to be seeing that much skin on a daily basis from ladies running down the road.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i think it's fine. i don't get offended and i don't think guys mind at all. i wouldn't wear one because i would be self conscious.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If I ever get even a four pack, I am going to do it at least once...

My only peave is when people wear the type of sports bras that look like lingerie style bras with no shirt over it. That looks so tacky. There was actually a plus sized lady in one of my fitness magazines doing exactly that. I felt kind of embarassed for her.

If the thing has under wire, adjustable straps and latches in the back chances are it's not meant to be seen.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    At the gym? No. Running outside in the summer in heat and humidity? Yes. I'm not at the point yet where I can run in just a sports bra, but hopefully I will be soon! I don't see anything wrong with it!

This!!... Def throw on a shirt if you go in to a store though.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I say go for it, if you're comfy with it. If men are allowed to run around wearing nothing but shorts and sneakers, there's no reason for women to be restricted to full-length shirts just because some people are offended by the sight of a, gasp, lady belly.
  • blasiansrus
    blasiansrus Posts: 151
    Options
    I went running in mine once, but I got a bad sports bra tan (I tan very easily -_-) I'll probably start running in one again once I take morning runs or something lol
    But it's really not inappropriate at all. That's like saying guys running shirtless is inappropriate which I'm sure most people would not agree with that haha.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I saw a woman running today in a sports bra, it never occurred to me that it might be seen as inappropriate . True I could see a bit of her midriff, all lovely and lean and as she was wearing Capri style tights I could see her calves. Mostly I wondered how she was warm enough when she started as I needed fleece, hat and gloves until 1mile in.
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Its not 'inappropriate', but i personally hate seeing seeing girls running around in sports bras.......mostly cos im stupid jealous, lol. Im waaay to overweight to try it, but once the fat is off i'll probably be rocking em every chance i get lol. but for now, HELL NO!