The "Dieting" dilema; bad food, worse ideas.

Options

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I am a bit upset though. LOL................I have been saying the same things in posts and people argue with me about it. Telling me they will eat what they want and it is still healthy to them..........

Sometimes it is the manner in which the message is presented. Steve started with a disclaimer right at the beginning.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    Options
    Great information and a good reminder!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cortisol, I've had to take courses of Prednisone off and on throughout the last 35 years. I don't know if I'll ever get rid of the belly fat but I'm trying. Problem is, I don't know if and when I'll have to take it again - never, I hope!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :glasses:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Prednisone sucks as far as the metabolism is concerned, but I hear it's great for stuff like asthma and arthritis. You'd need to talk to a dietitian that specializes in this type of stuff (or you probably already have) as that stuff can have serious metabolic side effects and following a normal routine probably won't work very well for you.
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cortisol, I've had to take courses of Prednisone off and on throughout the last 35 years. I don't know if I'll ever get rid of the belly fat but I'm trying. Problem is, I don't know if and when I'll have to take it again - never, I hope!

I had to take several courses of Prednisone for a period of 2-3 years and thats where I gained a large portion of the weight that I have now. My doctor insisted that it would come off after I stopped taking them because I had such a fantasticly healthy diet and a decent workout routine......

Its just over 1 year later and I finally lost 15 of those pounds. I will never take that stuff again!:grumble:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the minor threadjack,

I was on prednisone for five years. My body has never been the same. It (I think maybe permanently) changed the way I gain/lose weight. Boo to it!

Oh, and I :heart: Banks. Bump.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Another great post Banks! Bump :heart:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Bump for the new ones. Food is good as long as you pick the right kinds of foods.

Oh yeah, 136 lbs (today is official weigh-in day for me) ... my driver's license says 135 so I'm getting there! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Bump for the new ones. Food is good as long as you pick the right kinds of foods.

Oh yeah, 136 lbs (today is official weigh-in day for me) ... my driver's license says 135 so I'm getting there! :drinker:

Yeah Ghanie!!:flowerforyou:

Oh and bump:glasses:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more followup reading later - and BAnks, thank you for clarifying that bit about exercise increasing stress and causing fat preservation - I almost had a heart attack!!:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Bumping for more followup reading later - and BAnks, thank you for clarifying that bit about exercise increasing stress and causing fat preservation - I almost had a heart attack!!:laugh:

literally with all the exercise we do NOW!! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Just to be clear, yes stress levels (and the accompanying hormones) go up during exercise, but so do the hormones that counteract those stress hormones. In other words, stress during exercise is normal and healthy, and promotes all the good things we associate with exercise. Stress without exercise is the bad one, because those hormones go up (stress hormones), yet the hormones needed to go along with them to induce muscle stimulation do NOT go up, that's where the bad stuff happens.

The reverse can also be true by the way (my little tip for the day), Thinks like pilates and yoga actually release the OTHER hormones with very low levels of stress hormones being released, which can cause muscle stimulation with the absence of cortisol and other hormones related to stress, this is also a good thing, but limited in it's capacity (there's basically a cap on how much hormone the body will allow in the body at any one time.).
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Yo Boss. I finally got around to reading your novel. I couldn't agree more. I'm gonna do my best to bump this thread, because I think about 75% of the people on here need to read this and get a grip.
    Sometimes you need some tough love, and I think you hit the nail right on the head. Keep up the good fight.

BUMPITY BUMP!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Yo Boss. I finally got around to reading your novel. I couldn't agree more. I'm gonna do my best to bump this thread, because I think about 75% of the people on here need to read this and get a grip.
    Sometimes you need some tough love, and I think you hit the nail right on the head. Keep up the good fight.

BUMPITY BUMP!!

Danke sir!
  • SulisVioletWings
    Options
    Thanks for the great info.... if it were not for the bumps i might never had found this thread! It has been very rewarding too read that I have been doing things correctly! Thank goodness! Slow and steady with as much of a whole food eating plan as possible!
    Thank You so much....

Now my brain and body are ready for the light exercise to help tone the muscles I see that were in hiding under the fat layer. Yoga, and mild strength traing sound like they would be a good combo... Toss in walking my dog twice a day for cardio...Any thoughts on that?

Again thanks:bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for the great info.... if it were not for the bumps i might never had found this thread! It has been very rewarding too read that I have been doing things correctly! Thank goodness! Slow and steady with as much of a whole food eating plan as possible!
    Thank You so much....

Now my brain and body are ready for the light exercise to help tone the muscles I see that were in hiding under the fat layer. Yoga, and mild strength traing sound like they would be a good combo... Toss in walking my dog twice a day for cardio...Any thoughts on that?

Again thanks:bigsmile:

it's all about perceived exertion with cardio. If you aren't breathing heavy and/or sweating, it's light cardio, and there won't be a heck of a lot of fat burning involved; some will happen, but not a ton. Course this also depends on how much fat you have to burn, the more readily available fat is to burn, then the more you will burn with any increase in metabolic rate. So if walking your dog doesn't make you sweaty and breath heavy, then I wouldn't consider it a very strong cardio session.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I missed this!!

I :heart: Banks. You'll always be Banks to some of us :laugh:

Great post - thanks for taking the time to do all that typing.

Just a thought - I've lost 100 lbs now. Took me 10 years, but I never starved myself. I've changed my eating habits drastically and worked on the issues that led to my addiction to food. The human body needs good nutrition to function properly - starving yourself is not the answer and will do much more harm than good. Eat, people, eat!! Eat good food and move your body. :drinker: It works! Edited to add: I lost about 40 of that in the last 2 years with MFP. :heart: Yay MFP!!

Thanks again Steve :heart:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I like your no-nonsense style of saying things. :flowerforyou: