The "Dieting" dilema; bad food, worse ideas.

Options

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Banks--Did you learn all this stuff just through your own experiences, or do you have other knowledge (i.e. a degree)? I am just curious because I love the info, and I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have stayed in the field I was in during college (dietitics).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks--Did you learn all this stuff just through your own experiences, or do you have other knowledge (i.e. a degree)? I am just curious because I love the info, and I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't have stayed in the field I was in during college (dietitics).

no formal education in nutrition or even biochemistry. I was a chemical engineer in college for 3 plus years (hated the advanced math, so finally switched to computer science), which taught me how to read clinical studies and understand the interactions between chemicals. Believe it or not, the metabolism is basically just a very complex chemical reaction between multiple compounds.
    What this gave me is the ability to seek out and read the documentation that is out there from the source. I have no need to read and article and have to believe the slant that a particular "journalist" puts on it. I can hear about a topic, go find the actual clinical documentation, and read it for myself and come to my own conclusions. Being a very data oriented person, I tend to accumulate facts, and compile them in my head.
    It doesn't take a clinical dietitian to learn about human nutrition, it just takes a little bit of elbow grease, the facts are out there, they are just very disjointed (I Blame the FDA and other government organizations like WHO for this!). If you take the time to pull together all the data, and the understanding of how to read and dissect it then anyone can have just as much (and more, much more) knowledge as I do on the subject.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    Boss could i ask u a question in privy?...sense u seem to know what ure talkin about i was wondering if maybe u could give me some advice
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Boss could i ask u a question in privy?...sense u seem to know what ure talkin about i was wondering if maybe u could give me some advice

sure, no problem. Fire away.
  • hasiangirl
    Options

sure, no problem. Fire away.
    ok sent the question...sorry it was long, i tend to ramble :blushing: :laugh:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Bump to read it later.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, thanks for caring about us all enough to spend all that time writing this out. A lot of people don't eat what they should, myself included some days, having the correct info really helps make it easier.
    Thanks again SHBoss, your posts are always very informative and inspiring. :flowerforyou:
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    bump
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    awesome post.

its funny that once i stopped exercising every day and started to only concentrate on what I was eating and when, i lost inches more quickly than ever.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am a bit upset though. LOL................I have been saying the same things in posts and people argue with me about it. Telling me they will eat what they want and it is still healthy to them..........

Sometimes it is the manner in which the message is presented. Steve started with a disclaimer right at the beginning.

Well said, Vicky:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Great post! And I just wanted to mention that it's people like you on this site who have made me realize things I never had before. When I was in the 7th grade, I started skipping meals, when I reached 10th grade I started to eat even less...and throw it up. That cycle had messed me up soo much. I would start to eat regular again...and put all the weight back on plus some. Of course I loved losing the weight really quick...but I was always sooo tired and litterally JUMPED at any loud noise or unespected thing becuase I was so lethargic I sopose. I got married when I was 18 and started to eat even more and not care so much about my health (my hubby has a QUICK metabilism and I was eating the exact same things as him). I got preggo when I 19, and had a miscarriage which even put me into more stress. When I was growing up...my brother was really good at reminding me constantly how chubby I was while he was eating like a cow and had a 4 pack, working on a six pack :sad: Yes, the comment he's made to me in the past still hurt me today and he doesn't even know it. And I should blame no one but myself, but I beleive if he hadn't made so many hurtful comments, I wouldn't be this large today becuase he wouldn't have made me want to do so many hurtful things to my body. Most of my life i've just been so deppressed with my weight...I even use to cut my self. All those years of mistreating my body has put even a worse toll on my body. I'm ebarrassed to say, but I even have 3/4 sleave stretch marks down my arms from all the losing then gaining so quickly :blushing: Well....it took my hubby and I a whole year to get preggo again...and after having my precious boy...I put on even 50 more pounds that didn't want to leave. After having my son, it was the FIRST time in my life I wasn't going to lose weight the BAD way by starving and throwing up....but what I didn't know was that doing my strenuous excersing and keeping my food intake at under 1,000 calories a day was BAD. I finally came across this site last month, and that's when I realized that what I thought was good, was still sooo terrible for me. I bumped my calorie intake to 1,200 min. per day, and I still excersise...but not all crazily. I have lost 16 pounds :noway: AND I FEEL SO AWSOME AND HEALTHY!!!! I love this site more than words can explain and I have people like you to thank!!!! Thank you for opening eyes and letting people know it's okay to eat more, and that you'll benefit even more from it :happy:

Honey, thank you so much for sharing your story. It is so important for newbies to understand your body NEEDS food. You are doing an awesome job and your children will be have such better lives because of it!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks Banks you rock!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

and can I just say that if I have to read another post talking about how hard it is to eat all 1000/1200 whatever calories each day I'm going to scream. to heck with screaming I'll express my inner fat chick and sit on them!

I like food. food is good. I like real food. I have been slowly losing weight now for 6 months and today I was told I look sexy in this dress (which hey I have to admit I kinda do) and I got a double take from someone when I was walking across the parking lot. yay! I am an intelligent well educated woman but I too succumbed to some diet quickies in my lifetime (including a video where you were supposed to breathe a certain way to lose weight - lord help me) but never again. I like eating things that I feel good about afterwards not guilty for. I LOVE feeling healthy and having stamina. I'm still a ways from my goal but eventually I know I'll make it. that's right...one day...my driver license weight won't be a lie.

here you go.............use THIS next time:laugh:
    00020309.gif
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Banks, I forgot to mention...my husband actually read your post (albeit over my shoulder lol) and was thoroughly impressed!! Yay! Yay for me! Yay for him! Maybe it will be enough for him to start eating healthy rather than all that crap sugar and processed foods he eats (I don't buy it when I shop, but he sure sneaks it).

Also, he has asked me to make that recipe of yours LOL. So it looks like this weekend I will be making Banks' Famous Chicken and Veggie recipe! Thanks a bunch. I'm looking forward to it! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Banks, I forgot to mention...my husband actually read your post (albeit over my shoulder lol) and was thoroughly impressed!! Yay! Yay for me! Yay for him! Maybe it will be enough for him to start eating healthy rather than all that crap sugar and processed foods he eats (I don't buy it when I shop, but he sure sneaks it).

Also, he has asked me to make that recipe of yours LOL. So it looks like this weekend I will be making Banks' Famous Chicken and Veggie recipe! Thanks a bunch. I'm looking forward to it! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

LOL! Glad I could help!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I have a job for all you guys out there that feel like I post good stuff.

google the following terms and read the descriptions. Hopefully it will give you a little food for thought (pun intended).

Bioavailability

cortisol

Human Growth Hormone (skip the ones about artificially introduced and steroids, they don't concern us right now)

ghrelin

leptin

EPOC (exercise Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) (think High Intensity Interval Training)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

google the following terms and read the descriptions. Hopefully it will give you a little food for thought (pun intended).

Bioavailability

cortisol

Human Growth Hormone (skip the ones about artificially introduced and steroids, they don't concern us right now)

ghrelin

leptin

EPOC (exercise Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption) (think High Intensity Interval Training)

what? No takers?
  • hasiangirl
    Options

Bioavailability

cortisol

ghrelin

leptin

what? No takers?
    big words scare me :laugh: :laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Bioavailability

cortisol

ghrelin

leptin

what? No takers?

I'm working on it!!!

Im at work so I have to sneak it in...lol
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

I'm working on it!!!

Im at work so I have to sneak it in...lol

Yeah! It's our dang jobs getting in the way! :tongue: