The "Dieting" dilema; bad food, worse ideas.

Options

Replies

• cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I'm working on it!!!

Im at work so I have to sneak it in...lol

Yeah! It's our dang jobs getting in the way! :tongue:

I know! Mine's cutting into my gym time. :laugh:

Banks, I tried to read up on EPOC, but it made my brain hurt. Could you explain it like you were talking to a 5 year old? Thanks.

ETA: Apparently it's about the intensity with which one exercises? Working hard while exercising is most effective. I see people at the gym all the time who work out for 2 hours but never really get a good sweat going on. I work out for 45 min. Cardio, and am drenched at the end of it. I think the more intense the workout, the bigger the benefit, not the max time.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'm working on it!!!

Im at work so I have to sneak it in...lol

Yeah! It's our dang jobs getting in the way! :tongue:

I know! Mine's cutting into my gym time. :laugh:

Banks, I tried to read up on EPOC, but it made my brain hurt. Could you explain it like you were talking to a 5 year old? Thanks.

ETA: Apparently it's about the intensity with which one exercises? Working hard while exercising is most effective. I see people at the gym all the time who work out for 2 hours but never really get a good sweat going on. I work out for 45 min. Cardio, and am drenched at the end of it. I think the more intense the workout, the bigger the benefit, not the max time.

right, the concept is, if you work close to, or at maximal oxygen consumption, you burn more calories not only during, but for an extended period after you work out, so maybe you only work for 35 to 40 minutes, but it's equivalent to working at a moderate pace for say, an hour and a half. PLUS, it gives you benefits in that, you train your muscles to work harder and grow, AND your body recognizes the need for a more efficient oxygen delivery system, so your lungs increase capacity and your blood becomes more efficient at delivering oxygen to your muscles. It's a win-win (except it's far more painful than taking it easy at the gym)
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate you providing all this information, and the research you do. Helps so much! Gonna go look up the other things you mentioned and see if I can figure them out as well.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

right, the concept is, if you work close to, or at maximal oxygen consumption, you burn more calories not only during, but for an extended period after you work out, so maybe you only work for 35 to 40 minutes, but it's equivalent to working at a moderate pace for say, an hour and a half. PLUS, it gives you benefits in that, you train your muscles to work harder and grow, AND your body recognizes the need for a more efficient oxygen delivery system, so your lungs increase capacity and your blood becomes more efficient at delivering oxygen to your muscles. It's a win-win (except it's far more painful than taking it easy at the gym)

Good to know that my impatience is finally paying off! :tongue: I don't like to spend more than 30 minutes at the gym so I try to make myself exhausted in between 25 and 30 so I can leave. :laugh:
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

Good to know that my impatience is finally paying off! :tongue: I don't like to spend more than 30 minutes at the gym so I try to make myself exhausted in between 25 and 30 so I can leave. :laugh:

I do the SAME thing! :laugh: I 'run' on the elliptical for about 25-30 mins and go as hard as I can. The women around me always seem to look at me like I'm crazy. Then I go do 30-45 mins of strength/weight training. :bigsmile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand this part. Exercise causes you to store fat? The stress from exercise is equal to the stress of worrying about bills? Not to question your facts, but I've never heard anything like that before. If that's true, it seems like exercise is bad for your health, because all I ever hear is that chronic stress is terrible for your health, and actually reduces your lifespan.

I usually feel good when I exercise, however when I'm stressing over money issues I feel about as bad as I could possibly feel.

At the end of that paragraph you state that exercise is good for this and that, but overall, if it puts the body in a state equivalent to high stress situations which are bad for you and increases body fat, how could it be a good thing?

Forgive me for asking, but this is new information for me, so I need clarification. :tongue:

I'll explain a little more.

during stressful times our body releases hormones, lots of hormones, most don't really affect our metabolism but a couple do in very very specific ways. Cortisol is released to block insulin from pulling energy from the blood sugar (insulin and cortisol have a FAR more complicated relationship then this, but for our purposes saying it "blocks" it is good enough), and insulin is what keeps our bloodsugar in check by helping glucose get to our cells.
    Now, when the stress is brought on by exercise, other hormones are released as well, the higher the intensity of activity, the more of these other hormones are produced (specifically Human Growth Hormone and Testosterone). Now, HGH and Testosterone somewhat counteract the effects of cortisol because they trigger muscle growth and muscle stimulation, which requires more blood glucose (sugar) and thus the excess blood sugar that cortisol promotes is used up, but when we stress over things and aren't exercising, there's no counter to the cortisol, thus the extra glucose in our blood is eventually taken and converted to fat for storage by the body. This is a very simplistic description of stress and hormonal effects, but it's good enough for our topic.

As to how we feel when we work out, yeah, we generally feel good after we work out, but not because our body is happy, it's because our body release other hormones to make us feel good, to counteract all those aches and pains, and fatigue. Why? Because way back when, you didn't want to be running from a Cave bear and suddenly feel fatigued and tired, you wanted a feeling of euphoria for 2 reasons, 1) to be able to run through the pain of any injuries you might have acquired while being chased, and 2) to eliminate the fear response in animals which is to freeze and become indecisive. The main chemicals for this are adrenaline and dopamine. And THAT'S why you feel good after you work out, not because your muscles are pleased with you.

Exercise doesn't cause you to store fat, rather exercise is more of a contributor to fat burning, my main point of this section was that while exercise is a good booster for the fat metabolism, it's healthy eating that will be the driving force for reducing body fat, not exercise (unless you have the time and energy to work out 3 to 4 hours a day at a high level of effort, and even then, it WILL eventually catch up with you as you age).

Hope this helps.

I have read on many sites, been told by 2 doctors, had a gym trainer (highly educated) all tell me 97% food, 3% exercise! I was astounded! I thought I had to bust my butt 2 hours a day at the gym, when all I really need to LOSE WEIGHT was to eat a better choice of foods.

Now of course those muscles in my arms, legs, stomach........well everywhere!! they sure do look good to me! Also, the exercise has decreased the cholesterol and BP.......so it is really important.

But there are ppl on this very site who have lost 70-80-90 pounds without ever going to the gym or breaking out an exercise DVD.

I think this was the point of this paragraph.......or that is how I read it.
    :flowerforyou:

Eat less to lose weight; exercise for fitness.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

I do the SAME thing! :laugh: I 'run' on the elliptical for about 25-30 mins and go as hard as I can. The women around me always seem to look at me like I'm crazy. Then I go do 30-45 mins of strength/weight training. :bigsmile:
    My boss always makes a comment about working to live not living to work. I apply to exercise. I exercise to live better not live to exercise better.:laugh:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I :heart: :heart: :heart: Banks!!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    My boss always makes a comment about working to live not living to work. I apply to exercise. I exercise to live better not live to exercise better.:laugh:

I love to run. I started running to lose weight. Now that I can actually do it, I am losing weight so that I can run LOL. In that sense, I am living better IMHO

Oh yea, I do the same thing, too. I run hard and fast (except on my long distance days when I'm working toward stamina)....burns way more calories that way and I gain speed. It's all win win for me. That's why I run, not walk :laugh:

Ok Banks...done reading.....where's my test professor? :smile:
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    bump, because I promised.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    bump, because I promised.
    LIAR!!!! :mad:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bumping with another observation:

While the "technicalities" of losing weight have more to do with nutrition than exercise, for me, exercise is the catalyst because I go looking for "food highs" if I'm not receiving a steady diet of those happy endorphins released by physical movement keeping me sane.

Being a big-time emotional eater, that makes the ratio more like 90/10 (yes, it's that much of an issue for me.)
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

While the "technicalities" of losing weight have more to do with nutrition than exercise, for me, exercise is the catalyst because I go looking for "food highs" if I'm not receiving a steady diet of those happy endorphins released by physical movement keeping me sane.

Being a big-time emotional eater, that makes the ratio more like 90/10 (yes, it's that much of an issue for me.)

I dunno, I tend to think they both go hand-in-hand. Though for some people, with more efficient metabolisms, get away with less activity. You gotta have fuel to burn the oven. And you gotta burn the oven to burn the fuel. Nahhhhhhhwhati'masayin!?!?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    In my poll of many health care professionals: Orthopedic, Podiatrist, Family Medicine, Allergist, PA, RN, LPN, Physical Therapist and Chiroprator

When it came to weight loss and exercise, the only thing they argreed on was that losing weight is 99% the food we eat. The exercise is for toning the saggy parts and keeping the old ticker running smoothly.

The only one who said exercise and food are 50/50 is the personal trainer at the gym, go figure:bigsmile:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options

I dunno, I tend to think they both go hand-in-hand. Though for some people, with more efficient metabolisms, get away with less activity. You gotta have fuel to burn the oven. And you gotta burn the oven to burn the fuel. Nahhhhhhhwhati'masayin!?!?

I hear you, but I'm talking more about just avoiding binging. I can't do that without "burning the oven", because I'm so dependent on those endorphins. While the mechanics of the weight loss have to do with that balance, the emotional aspect controls what is going into the oven (and how much of it).

Case in point: At the start of last summer we were undergoing a HUGE financial system replacement, major stress all around. I started the summer by fixing my stress with the vending machine (Milky Way Darks, sigh.) It worked temporarily, but when the summer was over, my weight and my stress level were at an all time high. When fall hit, I decided to forsake the vending machine and my lunch three times a week in favor of walking to the gym (I ate at my desk when I got back). An amazing thing happened: my weight and my stress started back down the hill, and I started getting all kinds of messages thanking me for my "incredibly upbeat attitude" and "amazing customer service".

At the time I thought the weight loss was all due to the extra calorie burn, which it was in part; I mean it's pretty apparent that replacing candy bars with exercise has to result in something positive on the scale. But more than that was the fact that my workouts enabled me to exercise some self-control at all the other times I would typically be driven to the vending machine. And made me a genuinely happier person to boot.

Basically a lot of words saying "Exercise, good."
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I hear you, but I'm talking more about just avoiding binging. I can't do that without "burning the oven", because I'm so dependent on those endorphins. While the mechanics of the weight loss have to do with that balance, the emotional aspect controls what is going into the oven (and how much of it).

Case in point: At the start of last summer we were undergoing a HUGE financial system replacement, major stress all around. I started the summer by fixing my stress with the vending machine (Milky Way Darks, sigh.) It worked temporarily, but when the summer was over, my weight and my stress level were at an all time high. When fall hit, I decided to forsake the vending machine and my lunch three times a week in favor of walking to the gym (I ate at my desk when I got back). An amazing thing happened: my weight and my stress started back down the hill, and I started getting all kinds of messages thanking me for my "incredibly upbeat attitude" and "amazing customer service".

At the time I thought the weight loss was all due to the extra calorie burn, which it was in part; I mean it's pretty apparent that replacing candy bars with exercise has to result in something positive on the scale. But more than that was the fact that my workouts enabled me to exercise some self-control at all the other times I would typically be driven to the vending machine. And made me a genuinely happier person to boot.

Nina I am also finding the exercise helps to de-stress me. Instead of eating, I rode my bike and felt 10x better. Thanks for bringing that to my attn.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

Nina I am also finding the exercise helps to de-stress me. Instead of eating, I rode my bike and felt 10x better. Thanks for bringing that to my attn.

A person once told me that the moments you feel too stressed to go to the gym are the moments you need to go the most. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

A person once told me that the moments you feel too stressed to go to the gym are the moments you need to go the most. :flowerforyou:

I believe that. I have never left the gym more tired, depressed or stressed than when I walked in.:flowerforyou:
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I just want to say thank you for posting this. :flowerforyou:

Anything with the word diet just sound alarm bells for me.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    watch out with that "heaven" talk......Mike is on the warpath. Or someone who got their little feelings hurt. Pathetic.

:laugh: Yeah - be careful there!

didn't say anything on the rules about discussion regarding disagreement with forum rules. So yeah,
    what a bunch of crap. :drinker:

I agree. I'm off the boards for a few days and when I come back . . . . locked! :grumble: