Low Carb-ers Challenge to Choose Change!

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    OK so is the whole deal of the low carb diet to stay under 20g of carbs for the day? For example if I had a flat out flat bread with 6 net carbs and am still at 19g of carbs at the end of the day is that still good or did I kick my body out of ketosis?

I had to have that flat out wrap today cause something was gonna give, it was either a cinnamon powdered sugar donut (some rep brought them into the office today and it never gets to me!) or the flat out, I know I made the better choice between the two I am just worried if I pushed my body out of ketosis.

Good job everyone by the way!

Sassy: my goal for august will be 180

Everyone's level is different. That is why Dr. Atkins stated that it was important to find your CCLL (critical carb limit for losing). The first time I did Atkins in 2003, I was exercising and going up the "carb ladder" and I was still in ketosis at around 55-60 grams of carbs per day. I found it depends on the quality of the carbs as to if you stay in ketosis or not. So if your carbs are coming mostly from natural, unprocessed foods and your carb limit is higher, then you will stay in ketosis more so then if you ate a lot of processed carbs..........

You should be ok with ketosis though.

That is just my experience.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    OK so is the whole deal of the low carb diet to stay under 20g of carbs for the day? For example if I had a flat out flat bread with 6 net carbs and am still at 19g of carbs at the end of the day is that still good or did I kick my body out of ketosis?

I had to have that flat out wrap today cause something was gonna give, it was either a cinnamon powdered sugar donut (some rep brought them into the office today and it never gets to me!) or the flat out, I know I made the better choice between the two I am just worried if I pushed my body out of ketosis.

Staying under 20 grams should only be for the first couple of weeks, or until you no longer have carb cravings. Then you should start adding back in carbs according to the glycemic index in the form of more veggies and berries first. Then more fruit and nuts. The best thing to do is add them in one at a time so you can see if you have any food intolerances that might rear their ugly head.

Like my food intolerance to one of my most favorite veggie. Brocolli!!! :grumble: :grumble:
  • Beachcomer
    Beachcomer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sassy- Tell us more about this primal thing? I've used the cave man example many times explaining to people that our bodies are still cave man like bodies and if our bod thinks drought or famine is coming it holds on to fat and/or water reserves(fatty water pockets=celulite or belly gut)

LEO- you've invited us to see your diary but it is still set on private

Just came back from 35 min cardio but also added weight training on arms ,chest ,and legs. Remembered that weight training will burn even more cals. We'll see as time passes.

Sassy- My August goal will be a 20 lb loss from this coming Mondays weigh-in. Thank you for the unselfish time and talent you put into this group. YOU ROCK......AND ROLL. And rock n roll is here to stay, it will never die. Hey that might be some good lyrics for a new song. LOL . I'm acting crazy. It must be Friday night or something.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options

The Primal Blueprint book has a Carb Curve (chart), and it indicates that 50 and below (carbs) keeps you in ketosis. And, as LEO mentioned about not staying under 20 carbs for long....the primal blueprint states the same.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Beachcomer....I'll get something together to post on the primal blueprint. I plan to type notes for myself anyway! give me a little while though! :wink:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My goal is to weight 175 lbs by the end of august.
    I do low carb but I don't go to ketosis stage because I have one free meal each week. It helps me to stick to the diet. The thought that I can't have any more ice cream, pizza or dorritos I will end up binge on them.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice Leo and Sassy I will start to add some more carbs in this weekend, maybe take it up 10g at a time.

Good luck this weekend everyone! Unfortunately i will be where there only exists dial up... if it work properly :) I promise to stay on track though cause I am visiting my mom and I already told her that I am doing a low carb diet and she too is pretty good about keeping me and herself in check :)
  • Mary4Jesus
    Mary4Jesus Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi Sassy Southern Girl... I haven't replied because I have been checking my mail, dah! Thank you for letting me join the group.
    I need to let you all know I had Gastric Bypass Surgery July 20th. I want everyone to know that up front so they'll realize why my weight might be different then most. I also don't want people on here to fell like I've not been honest.
    I'm looking forward to joining in...Mary
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Hi everybody! :bigsmile: Been working on my kickoff plan for tomorrow...the primal blueprint deal. For those of you who were interested in info regarding this plan (BEACHCOMER for one), please go to my BLOG (link down below in my signature line), and you will see an outline of the program. Because I've worked on it at different times, it shows in July and August archives. I didn't want to post it here in the thread because it's just too much, and not everyone cares....:wink:

LET'S HAVE A GREAT, ON PLAN, WEEKEND TO OBTAIN SOME GREAT MONDAY RESULTS!!!

Nighty Night!!
  • shagybear33
    Options
    hi!!

Well day 1 down from my little 'slip up" last nite. I stayed within my level, but didn't get any exercise in. Will get my butt back in gear tomorrow!

Sassy: My goal for the end of August is to be down to 155lbs and to workout at least 5 times a week.

Gotta run, power is going out again soon. They're still repairing the lines and pole from yesterday!

Have a great nite!!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Where is Hannah anyway??? :huh:

Hehe, I was missed - neat! :smooched: My mom has been in town for the past two days so I've been spending all my time with her. Haven't forgotten about you ladies OR Monday's weigh in. Even though this week will probably look rather bleak because of my Tuesday disaster. :sick: :laugh:

My big goal for today is to drink LOTS of water. I've been slacking off on that recently but if I kick my butt into gear I may be able to flush more crap out by Monday!

End of August goal: 205 :embarassed: Modest, I know, but I don't think my body knows what it means to drop more than a pound and a half in a week. :laugh:

Visiting with mom then taking her to the airport this afternoon - will check in again this evening! Have a wonderful day ladies! :drinker: :heart:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    HANNAH: Glad you're havin' fun with your mom!! Wish mine lived in my town. Just visited her for the first time in over 3 years (in Alabama) and I just miss going to her house everyday and such. Of course, we talk on phone like 5-8 times a day! LOL And...losing a pound and a half a week...nothing wrong with that....good and healthy!! Just stick to your guns! Christmas is going to come this year...you will be smaller...even with 1.5 a week....you'll be thinner, healthier, and happier!! Oh, and proud! :wink:

SHAGY: Congrats on the 1 lb down!! That's what we're wanting around here!! :flowerforyou:

MARY: I agree, I think being honest around here is key to success. Thanks for sharing. Don't forget to post your weigh-in, weeks goal, and goal for month of August...post it all on Monday and you'll appear on our chart and be ready to go!!

Ok everybody!! AUGUST 1st!! START OF A NEW MONTH!! What are we gonna do with it!!! We're gonna LOSE LOSE LOSE!!! That's what! We're gonna get healthier, happier, and more fit!! That's the plan.....is everybody with me??

I'm strictly kicking off the Primal Blueprint today, and excited. Stuck to it for a couple days and the scale started moving! Just since yesterday I've lost 1.8 lbs! Here I go, Here I go!!! I will be following ALL 10 LAWS of the Primal Blueprint....even the ones that seem insignificant, and I will be noting results and progress and details in my BLOG.

Happy Saturday.....stick to your guns this weekend...it'll be worth on Monday when you weigh in and do the HAPPY DANCE! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • hambone
    hambone Posts: 152
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies!
    How we doing today? I have my food planned out for today so I see SUCCESS!!!

Sassy, I am shooting for 190 by the end of August and hoping for 185... hee hee
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Hey HAMBONE!!! Good to see you here! Don't know where BAMABABY is....and SCRUNCH should be coming on in at some point for Monday! Nice of you to put a pic on your profile...lookin' good!!

OK everybody....a few personal things....I have updated my Blog and my signature with a GOAL ticker for August! It is designed with music notes because in 4 weeks from yesterday, I am going to Chicago (for the first time....YEA) for a big weekend which will begin with an Aerosmith/ZZ Top Concert (in which I paid $500 for 2 tickets and really want to look good enough for pics!!!)! So...I will be keeping my Blog up to day as I kick off the primal blueprint today! Strivin' to become a CAVEGIRL! :bigsmile:

Also...my food diary is available for everybody to see, so if you choose to view it and don't understand an entry or trying to figure out why I'm choosing certain foods...please ask me....it'll keep me thinkin' and on my toes and focused!!!

Now...off to clean house so I can get to the park for some walking and to the Fair later.:drinker:
  • Mary4Jesus
    Mary4Jesus Posts: 219
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to August, especially the 6th. I go to the doctor for my two week check up from having my Gastric Bypass. I'm hoping I well beable to return to the swimming pool. I live in a RV Resort and we have a exercise room with weights so, I'm really looking forward to the doctor to give me the okay to work out fully.
    I will see you all Monday morning. Love and Peace to all !!!:happy:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Where is Everybody this weekend??

Well....here I am! Just out of a nice hot bubble bath. Did some very EXTREME house cleaning today. Don't know what made me do that! I have moved furniture, shop vac'd behind every piece of anything I have, cleaned walls and windows and baseboards, to name but a few. I have been on my feet, and by hands and knees, and my butt....literally crawling around the edges of the baseboards....:bigsmile:
    Move over Molly Maid!!! :bigsmile:

Trying to decide if I wanna go to the little country fair today. My teenage boys have been 3 nights in a row, and going again. only reason I wanna go is to watch my youngest (17) act like a NUT! he is too funny!

Ok ...enough already! I'll check on ya'll tomorrow! STAY ON TRACK!!! :bigsmile:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Wow, epic housecleaning Sassy! Isn't that weird how those moods just come upon us for no reason? One day you're laughing at the little dustbunnies under your couch and the next day WHAMO its dust bunny hunting season. I think I could use another hunting season... :tongue:

Got my mom off safely to the airport today and just finished up dinner. Had lots of water, planning on downing a bit more, I have just realized I have to stop at some point otherwise I wake up at like 5 in the morning really having to PEE. I'm that kind of person that can't go back to sleep once I get up, so I just crawl into my computer chair and do some work to pass the time after my stupid potty wake-up call. :angry:

MARY - its lovely to have you! Good luck at your doctor's app - please tell us how it goes!

Speaking of doctor's apps, I have to get the stiches in my tongue removed this Tuesday. Definitely NOT looking forward to that. I wish he hadn't put them in in the first place, right now they're the only things that hurt! Next time I'm just putting my foot down and telling the doctor to LET IT BLEED. :mad:

Well, I'm off to have a teeny little dessert (Andes Mint!) and finish my work for the day. Check in with you guys later! :drinker:
  • shagybear33
    Options
    Hi all!

BTW, welcome Mary. :D

WOW Sassy, I wish I would have had the same enthusiasm about cleaning my place today.. Great job!

Allenhm: Hope the stiches removal goes well. That sounds like a lot of pain. Hugs!

Well I managed to squeeze in a 40 min rollerblade this afternoon, then some ab work and weights tonight. I also had a little bit of mashed potato for supper (1/4 cup) only and still stayed within my NC for the day. Funny thing, I usually LOVE potatoes and could eat a ton of 'em but that little bit seemed to satisfy me. But I don't think I'll have them too often just in case.

Well now that our power is back on, I should hop in the tub and get a few things done.!

I probably won't be around much tomorrow as DH and I will be doing some renos at our rental.

Have a great night and wonderful day tomorrow everyone!!
  • mommyof2boys
    Options
    Shaggybear - I am so jealous!!! I wish I could rollerblade or skate.... there is no place around me to.

Allen- I hope all goes well.

Sassy- have fun at the fair!!!

I am really having withdrawls from my camara! I havent had it in 38 days...

2le530i.jpg
    This is a picture I took of where I grew up. =[
    I miss my camara...:sad:
  • Beachcomer
    Beachcomer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey All, Will be on planes all day today. Left home at 7:30 AM. Will be on the road in a hotel for 3-4 weeks. This will be a test. OK this morning. Ordered scrambled egg tacos no potatoes, at Chili's. Didn't eat the tortillas, and had sliced tomatoes subbed for the potatoes. I have prepacked snacks for the plane. I have to make sure I eat enough today. Had water and coffee also.
    Good Luck to all.
    Beachcomer